PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with "cherry eye"?

SadiesDad
12-18-2001, 08:35 AM
I'd like to request some nice thoughts and prayers for our Cincy, who is going in for surgery on her eye today. :( She apparently has "cherry eye", which means that her third eyelid (which I didn't know she had, until now) has become swollen and looks like a cherry lodged in the corner of her eye. She seems to be only slightly bothered by it, but it's hard for us, 'cause it looks like it would feel terrible. :( We've found a website with info on it here at peteducation.com (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=409) It sounds like it's a fairly routine surgery, but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered it, and what their experience was? Maybe this will help someone else, too?

BTW, both Sadie and Cincy seemed to know something was not right, and Sadie watched over Cincy yesterday and last night. Such sweeties! :)
Thanks much,
Ralph

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: SadiesDad ]

KYS
12-18-2001, 09:21 AM
Good thoughts and well wishes for a
safe and quick recovery for Cincy.

sammi
12-18-2001, 09:51 AM
Crossed paws and good vibes sent out to Cincy, today and pray her surgery goes fine. Welcome to the message board.

jennifert
12-18-2001, 10:29 AM
Good Luck with Cincy's surgery! Poor thing she's just a baby!! But it's great that you caught it early and are taking care of it so that it doesn't cause problems later on in life! What a good dog dad!! Let us know how it goes!

Cinder & Smoke
12-18-2001, 11:07 AM
Hey, Cincy ~ How'd yer visit at the Sir Jury Guy'z place go taday? Iz yer eyeball all better now? Tell yer Dad ta let us know how things went as soon as you getz home!

In case anybuddie missed it; here's a photo of Cincy - she's the lil iddy biddy wun in front of big sis Sadie...

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/1Z/9d/6V/KD39868.jpg

Cincy's Fambly Storrie is on this page:
Cincy and Sadie Intro Story... (http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001654)

Best wishez :) to you, Cincy!

aly
12-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Ralph, I've worked in the recovery part of our shelter with animals who have just had that cherry eye surgery. The recovery is very quick and easy. The surgery is very routine. Try not to worry. I'm sure everything will be fine in no time!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-18-2001, 12:00 PM
Hi Sadie's Dad, Daisy had cherry eye, one day it was not there and the next it was. We took her to the vet and they decided to take it out. She didn't have any trouble, wore one of those megaphone things and we had some medicine to put in her eye for a while, no after effects, did just fine. I'm sure Cincy will do good too, will be thinking of her, hope all goes well.
Jackie

Logan
12-18-2001, 12:26 PM
Our "Daisy's Mom", Bridget, has been through this with Daisy, only recently. Daisy did beautifully with her surgery. I'm sure your baby will too. Bridget must be busy because she has not been around much lately, but maybe she'll see this post and be able to give you more insight on how Daisy did.

Your sweet, Cincy, will be in our prayers. :)

AdoreMyDogs
12-18-2001, 12:28 PM
Hi Ralph!

I am sorry, I don't think I had a chance to welcome you to the site. It's a wonderful place and your two furbabies are stunning! And I can see that they landed themselves in one heck of a good home with you and your wife :)

I do know that the cherry eye surgery is very routine and it is quick and the recovery is usually quite quick, easy and painless. The only thing that I have seen to be difficult is that some dogs have to wear a "lamp shade" collar for awhile to avoid the surgical site being scratched or rubbed. I guess it depends on the dog and the age of the dog. But that's the worst part of it, if she does have to wear a lampshade for a few days.

Good luck and welcome, again :)

sammi
12-18-2001, 03:09 PM
Sadie and Cincy are so cute! :)

slleipnir
12-18-2001, 06:02 PM
Hey, don't worry about your dog :] it'll be fine. I've seen the surgery before, and if the vets there and anything like here, the dog is VERY well taken care of and isn't really much. You have my prayers though :]

Sudilar
12-18-2001, 09:19 PM
Hope everything goes well for Cincy!

SadiesDad
12-19-2001, 07:45 AM
Hey dere!
Dis is Sadie, Cincy's older sister. I sneeked down to de puter dis mornin cause I heered mommy and daddy talkin bout Cincy. I know Daddy's been talkin to peoples here bout us, and sometimes mbarassin us :rolleyes: I guess Cincy gots dis cherry eye tingy, so I been lookin out fer her. She came home last nite wit mommy, and mommy said dat she did fine at de Sir Jury's place, an de vet said she wuz doin fine. She looks like it wuz ruff on her... she's all swelled an dey had ta shave round her eye. It's still swelled some, and dey said it'll go down soon. Mommy said dis was de biggest cherry eye tingy de vet ever saw! De vet said dat we'd have ta play nice for a whole week!!! :eek: I dunno if we can do it! We luvs to rassle. Cincy 'speshelly likes ta play ruff, but we're not sposed ta fer a while. So last nite, mommy an I went ta de store where I can go in! We got lotsa treats an bones an retriever rolls and a HUGE chewy for me an Cincy! It's biggern me! Boy, I'm gettin hungry! I guess we'll have some tings ta keep us busy so Cincy doesnt get hurt. I'm still worried, tho. I wanna help, so I keep settled down round her. We shuld be able ta play ruffer round Christmas time. It'll be a long wait! ;) Daddy will let evrybody know how it goes. Well, I gots ta go. Gots some nappin ta do!

Sadie

Logan
12-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Thank you for the update, Sadie!! You be a sweet girl with Cincy, and she'll be able to wrestle with you in no time!!!

Sincerely, Sadie's Dad, I am so glad she did fine, even it if was the "biggest cherry eye" the vet had ever seen. Glad you got it taken care of!! And what a great excuse for lots of new things to chew on!!! :)

jennifert
12-19-2001, 09:40 AM
Wonderful!!! I'm thrilled to hear it all went well! Good job Cincy! And you too Sadie for being so good to your little sis!

SadiesDad
12-20-2001, 07:23 AM
Hi to all!
Thanks for the great support you have given me and my family. Your advice, thoughts, and prayers are wonderful to receive, and help out so much. :) Cincy seems to be doing fine, and I hope that everyone has a happy and healthy holiday season!

Ralph

Karen
12-20-2001, 07:40 AM
Yay for Cincy and what good big sister Sadie's being! Glad everything is well, good luck keeping the play level at a dull roar for the requisite time!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-20-2001, 09:22 AM
Cincy is such a little doll, so glad she is doing so well and Sadie is so sweet to take care of her. What a wonderful doggie family you have there. Happy Holidays to all of you.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
12-20-2001, 06:51 PM
What a sweet sis you are dear Sadie! You give your sister some good loving and play gentle for a while! Before long, she'll be up to her old tricks and romping like before!
To the family of Cincy, best wishes and healing prayers are on the way! Maybe a few extra gifts under the tree for the patient?? :D Love and hugs to Cincy!! Sandra, Star and Cody!!

tatsxxx11
12-21-2001, 04:30 PM
How's Cincy doing????

SadiesDad
12-31-2001, 09:31 AM
Sorry for the delay, everybody.
Cincy is doing just fine. It's hard to tell now that she ever had cherry eye. :) Thanks again for your advice and yay's. The girls are doing well, spoiled as usual (especially with the Christmas presents they got), but doing well. :D

Happy New Year to everybody!

jennifert
12-31-2001, 01:19 PM
Great! Glad to hear she is doing well!
Happy New Year!!

tatsxxx11
01-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Yea! Cincy!!! Good job girl :) Happy New Year to you and your very special and caring family!! Love, Sandra, Star and Cody