PDA

View Full Version : Coccidia

Craftlady
10-01-2003, 04:53 AM
Our newest member of the family (Skinny) has it bad. We've been on 20 days of antibotics (2 kinds) and over the counter diarreha medicine for 7 days. Now we are on vet diarreha medicine that is stonger than what you can get over-the-counter.

Skinny (8 lbs) approx 1 yr old is playing, eating and sleeping normal. Skinny got his name because the other members of our family are 16 lbs :) He was the neighborhood stray up until labor day weekend. :)

Yesterday was first full day of medicine (3 x a day) it seems to be slowing potty problems down. 1 small episode during the day but larger episode over night.

Anyone else have experience with pesky coccidia?

Our vet says he is at a loss if this medicine doesn't work. At that point I will take him to another vet for second opinion. Our vet is older (70;s) maybe a younger more progressive vet is needed?????

Christiansmommy
10-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Both of my cats were strays, rescued from the animal shelter. They both came with it...they didnt have really bad cases. But i do know that my vet said it is hard to get rid of in cats, more so than in dogs. We just did the medicine thing and it eventually went away.

Make sure to clean the litter box often, so the cat cant re-infect himself. Even change the litter maybe once a week completely, as to get rid of all of the "germs" right away. And if you have other cats sharing in the same litter box...they could get it too...so change the litter very often or try to get him to go in another box. If he is an outdoor cat and uses the potty outside...then maybe he is re-infecting himself by being exposed to feces that has the coccidia in it outside...??

Sorry, i'm not much of help.

Anyway, welcome to Pettalk. You came to the right place...you will like it here :)

Robyn

Craftlady
10-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Thank You for the nice welcome :)

I've cleaned and re-filled the 3 litter boxes. The litter boxes get cleaned out at least 3 x a day and now more since his potty problems. I'm home all the time I can keep eye on boxes and kitties. I tell my husband "scooping is my life now" :D
The only time a litter box "sits untidied" is over night. :) :D
Skinny is indoor guy now :)

Barbara
10-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I recommend you see a different vet for a second opinion. Filou had coccidia some years ago. He had blood at his bum and I was very scared. I forgot what meds he got but he was ok in no time.
Coccidia can come with raw meat, so watch the diet as well.

I wish you all the best for Skinny. Filou is only 7.5 lb and Skinny should not try to compete with the 16 pounders if he is meant to be a slim kitty:)

rabbitinred
10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
I am looking for help with cat colds and saw your post...you can help your cat by giving him acidophilus the 'friendly' bacteria we need in our system...same as in yogurt. You can use people version or find some for pets at a good pet store. Unfortunately, when we or animals take antibiotics this only helps destroy the good bacteria that's left and we can take even longer to get better. It's safe, you can't really overdose, and it aids in all kinds of health not just bowel trouble! BUT it's absolutely necessary for that! Get capsules you can pull apart and mix with a small bit of food (to make sure he gets the whole dose). A couple of times a day for a couple of days should do it!
Good Luck!

Craftlady
10-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Thankfully, no blood in the stools and everyone eats Purina One and Science Light mix equal parts measured out. No human food is consumed.

I am going to give the new medicine a few more days (it's only been 1 1/2 days/5 doses 1/2 tsp at a time). It is slowing down guess it's just gotten to me since it's been 20 plus days of this stuff. I'm not as patient. :)

Then I will check into the acidophilus. Probably end up just giving him plan yogart. Once I can get up to PetSmart (our nearest good pet store which is 28 miles away) I will look for the pills.

krazyaboutkatz
10-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. :) I'm sorry to hear that Skinny is so sick. :( My cat Storm came from a shelter and he also had coccidia. I just gave him the meds that my vet prescribed and he was better in no time. I think the medicine was called Albon Suspension and it was a liquid. He had to take it 2 or 3 times a day for about 10 days. Goodluck. Please keep us updated.

Craftlady
10-02-2003, 04:54 AM
Skinny is a real trooper :) I'm going to put off doing the yogart because it appears the medicine is finally working (slowing potty stuff down). Keeping paws crossed :)

Lorraine
10-05-2003, 10:10 PM
My Romeo had Coccidia terribly when I first got him. He was VERY sick, he had me so worried. It took two rounds of the meds, and he finally recovered.
I hope Skinny is feeling better, get well soon little guy!