PDA

View Full Version : My Daddy Died Monday

micki76
09-30-2003, 11:30 PM
I probably won’t be on Pet Talk for a few days, guys. My Daddy passed away on Monday the 29th. He went pretty peacefully and lived to the age of 80, so he had a wonderful long life here on earth. His name was Olan Reese and he was without a doubt my best friend in the whole world. He would do anything in the world for my sister and me and his pet name for me was Pal. I’m not sure how to get through all this without him. He was my rock. :(

He was in a semi-comatose state since Thursday and had numerous health problems ranging from emphysema, lymphoma, lots of problems with his blood pressure and of course, the hole in his esophagus. He’s spent the last few months in a struggle to breathe. His emphysema was horrible. He got no rest from all the gasping and coughing and choking on the stuff that comes out of your lungs when you have emphysema. He awoke Sunday morning and was suddenly himself again. He was just like he was before, the old Daddy that wasn’t sick. He didn’t have any problems breathing and almost looked like he could leave and go home. God is wonderful to have given us that glorious day with Daddy.

My sister went up first by herself to visit with him and he was up and around and sitting up on the edge of the bed chatting with her. They talked for an hour or so and my cousin then went to the hospital to see him and stayed a bit. After they left Michael and I made it over there (they’re about 30 mins away from us) to see him and Glory to God, it was wonderful! We talked and chatted and joked a bit, and then he told us that my cousin had gone to the house to get Bob, Dad’s Fox Terrier to bring him to the hospital. We met her in the stairwell and the look on my Daddy’s when he saw his old best friend face was priceless!! I’ll cherish that memory till the day I die. He smiled the biggest smile I’ve seen in years and so did Bob! Daddy was so happy to see his “Bubba”! :)

He was a simple, loving, caring, family man who was very soft spoken and shy. He was a veteran of the army and fought valiantly for our freedoms in World War Two. I get my love of animals from my Daddy and he was so truly special to me that I feel like there’s a huge hole in my heart and I hurt so badly that sometimes I can’t breathe. I’m sorry for rambling, but I’m just lost without him.

He’s with my Mom now and I know they’re so happy to be together again. They’ve been apart since 1985 and several months a go he told the nurse that on duty with him the night he died that it was time to go be with his wife again.

Anyway, I hope to be back on PT again soon. His funeral is tomorrow, and then we have so many things to take care of with the house and all. Thanks Pet Talk family. I love you all.

Kfamr
09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
:(

Crikit
09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Micki, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-30-2003, 11:35 PM
:( I'm so sorry Micki. I'll be thinking and praying for you and your family.

binka_nugget
09-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Oh Micki, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( We're all here for you. Your father sounded like a great man. I'm glad he enjoyed some time with the ones he loved before he passed. I bet he's smiling down at you thinking of what a wonderful daughter he has raised.

krazyaboutkatz
09-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Micki, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please take care.

shais_mom
09-30-2003, 11:41 PM
OH Micki, I can barely type thru my tears. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know I am thinking of you. :(

gini
09-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Micki, God works in strange ways......and I am so glad that your last days with your Dad were so wonderful and are filled with good memories of him.

It sounds as though you definitely were his "Pal".

I understand your loss and it is very difficult.

Take good care of yourself. I will say a prayer for you and yours.

zippy-kat
09-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Oh, Micki what a loving, wonderful, heartfelt tribute to your father who is now, without a doubt smiling down upon you and the rest of your family. What a blessing for that last "clear" day and what a blessing for him to see his family - including his "Bubba"- one last time.

You have my heartfelt condolences, friend. I'm here if you need me.

{{hugs}}

AmberLee
10-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your tribute to him is wonderful and, like so many others, I'm very glad that you had such a marvelous visit. {{{hang in there}}}

We are here for you.

popcornbird
10-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Ohhhhh Micki.......:(:(:( {{{hugs}}}

I'm so very sorry to hear of your father's passing. I know that this is probably one of the most difficult of losses to bear. My sympathies and condolences to you and your family. :(:(

aly
10-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Micki, my prayers are with you and your family. Please, if you need anything, please please let me know. I'm not too far away. Even if you just need some puppy breath for 5 minutes, I'd drive there with my babies to kiss you.

Stay strong. Your father had a wonderful life and is at peace now :(

Miss Meow
10-01-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm so sorry about your father. He sounded like a wonderful man and the best of fathers. Look after yourself {{{hugs}}}

koxka
10-01-2003, 01:24 AM
My condolences and simpaties are with you and your familly.

Former User
10-01-2003, 02:32 AM
:( I'm so sorry Micki :(

Cincy'sMom
10-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Micki, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

HayleyRosie
10-01-2003, 05:44 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
10-01-2003, 06:01 AM
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

It is so hard to lose a parent, especially when you can say "we were close". I know, it was like that with my mom and me. The days ahaed will be hard, but know that people are hurting with you and do not be ashamed of your grief. Take care of yourself and let the wonderful memories be your strength.

My sincerest sympathies.

ChrisH
10-01-2003, 06:27 AM
Micki, I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. :( Your Dad sounds like a wonderful and special man.
You and your family are in my thought and prayers.
Big, big, Hugs
Chris

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-01-2003, 07:37 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. What a blessing that you got to spend time with him before he passed away, You have some wonderful memories to treasure.

4 Dog Mother
10-01-2003, 07:44 AM
What a wonderful tribute you wrote about your father. He certainly was a special man. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

mugsy
10-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Your dad sounds like a special man. I'm glad you will have good memories. My condolences to you and your family.

Logan
10-01-2003, 08:04 AM
I'm sad for your loss. Your father sounded like one of those special people we all love to know. What a blessing that he had that great day on Sunday, with all the people he loves, and his dog too! :)

I will be keeping you and your sister in my thoughts and prayers.

Logan

anna_66
10-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Micki,
I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your father, but
I'm glad you all got to have that last glorious day with your him, it sounds like he really had a wonderful time as well.
I can't imagine your pain right now, but know I will be thinking of you and your family and you all will be in my prayers.
Take care of yourself. Hope to talk to you soon.
{{{{HUGS}}}}
Anna

Cataholic
10-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Dear Micki,
My most heartfelt condolances to you and your family on the passing of your father. Your post was such a loving memorial to a wonderful man. May you be comforted by the memories you shared together, and the love of your family hold you tight.
Hugs,
Johanna

ramanth
10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Oh Micki. :( I'm so sorry.

I don't know what I'd do if I lost my Daddy. :( :(

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Edwina's Secretary
10-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Micki,

My condolences on the loss of your father. Your love for him and his for you shines through in your post.

Godspeed.

Sara

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-01-2003, 09:23 AM
My condolences on the loss of your father. You wrote a lovely tribute to him, and I am sure that he would be proud of you.

cloverfdx
10-01-2003, 09:31 AM
oh Micki i am so sorry to hear of your loss :( .

my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time. *hugs*

KYS
10-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Micki,

I don't know what to say, except I am so sorry to hear
about your dad.
Your tribute was so beautiful.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Hugs (((0U0)))

Karen

kimlovescats
10-01-2003, 09:45 AM
I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your wonderful Daddy. But I rejoice in the fact that he is now reunited with his loving wife! What a blessing that you were able to share one very special last day with him before he went home to heaven!!! I know that you feel a tremendous emptiness right now, but in time all you will remember is the love you shared with your Pal, your rock, your friend, your Daddy!!! May God comfort you, and see you through the difficult days ahead.

Kim

Dakota's Mommy
10-01-2003, 09:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your lose!

luckies4me
10-01-2003, 10:04 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. :( I am happy to hear you spent one last joyous day with him, that is great! I too am very attached to my father and I know that when the time comes, it will be hard. Know that we are all thinking of your family during this hard time. ((((hugs)))) Take care.

Samantha Puppy
10-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss... but about that really great day you had - it was the same thing with my grandmother. She was declining for sometime and when we visited her on December 234d, she was just like my old, not-sick Mom Mom. It was wonderful. She was talking and laughing and we thought maybe, just maybe, she'd be able to pull through. But she died at 12am on Christmas Day. Soo... I think those types of days are gifts from God, so that we can remember them as some other way than ill or sad or whatever. I'm glad you had that day with your father, just like I had my day with my Mom Mom.

ParNone
10-01-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, micki. That was a very
wonderful tribute to a very special man. Glad he got to
share one last special day with his kids and dog. The
dog part especially got to me.

Par...

Chinadoll
10-01-2003, 11:20 AM
So very very sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

robinh
10-01-2003, 11:21 AM
Oh Micki, I'm so sorry for your loss! Please accept my sincerest condolences. Such a tough time for you and your family.

But, what wonderful gifts God gave to you: a wonderful loving father, many years of that loving presence and that one last day to remember him as he'd always been.

:(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Oh wow... I am almost in tears also.

Micki, I want you to know I am here for you whenever you want to talk, as are every one of us. I like many others cannot imagine losing my father, and it makes me cry thinking about losing him. I cannot begin to imagine the pain you are feeling, the feeling of losing something so precious... How horrible for you.

Please remember. I am always here, no matter what.

My deepest condolences,
Meg

Pam
10-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Micki my deepest sympathy is with you on this sad day and I will be thinking of you tomorrow as you attend the funeral of your wonderful dad. Your words were so beautifully written and give us a glimpse as to what a special man he was. My dad has been gone for almost 20 years now and my mother, who turned 94 yrs. old today, often says how she misses him and looks forward to being with him some day. I know that the thought that your parents are together again must be giving you some comfort right now. I understand the depth of your sorrow at this time, as do others, but it will lessen a little each day. You were blessed for many years to spend your life with such a man. (((hugs)))

dukedogsmom
10-01-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm that close with my mom and I can't imagine how you feel. I'm still fortunate enough to have both my parents. I'll try and call you later today if I can find your phone number. I'm so glad you had that last day with him. I know that really means a lot to you.

Aspen and Misty
10-01-2003, 02:31 PM
he sounds like he was a wonderful man ::hugs::

I'm so sorry for your lose and take all the time you need to get back on your feet ::hugs::

Ash

primabella
10-01-2003, 02:35 PM
He sounds like he was a a great man and father. I'm sure your parents are both staring down at you and smiling, watching over you.

I'm so very very sorry about this. *hugs* You and your family will be in my prayers. :(

Albea
10-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Micki, I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Your wonderful tribute to your great dad also brought tears to my eyes. I know how you feel, my dad died more than 30 years ago but I can still hear his voice giving me very wise advice. His love will be with you forever.
Many hugs and sincere condolences to your family.

slick
10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Micki I know just how you feel. My Dad died in 1995 and unfortunately I missed his by 15 min. Your Dad sounds like he was a wonderful man and if there is anything you want to say to him you can now because I believe that he will hear you. Hugs to you and if you ever want to talk PM me and we'll exchange email addresses.

luv

carole
10-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Dear Micki,
I am so very sorry to hear that you lost your father, what a heart-wrenching time this is for you and your family.

I don't know what else to say, except that we are all thinking of you at this awfully sad time, and hoping this brings you a little comfort.

May you find the strength you need, to help you through the day's ahead.

Your Dad was a very wonderful man, from what you have told us, so treasure those fond memories, he will be in your heart forever.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

AND A BIG GENTLE HUG.

lovemyshiba
10-01-2003, 04:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your Daddy Micki:(
He sounds like a truly wonderful and special man.

May he rest in peace, and my prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

{{{hugs}}}

Cheshirekatt
10-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Buford, Joxer and Wilma send lots of puppy kisses to you and your family. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Take care.

CamCamPup33
10-01-2003, 05:09 PM
i am so sorry! :( That is such a good thing you got to spend the last days with him before he passed.. ::hugs:: Oh im so so sorry micki! :( :(

:Hugs:

We are here for you.. :(

Amber, cami and Cali

Twisterdog
10-01-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm so very sorry.

Your dad sounds a lot like my dad, who is now 78, and was just diagnosed with cancer.

It is the hardest thing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Godspeed.

wolfsoul
10-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Oh, Micki, I'm terribly sorry. :( We are all here if you want to talk to us. What a wonderful tribute you made. We understand that you might leave for a while, so don't feel bad, we all love you.

(((hugs)))

Foam
10-01-2003, 05:55 PM
You're definetly in my thoughts, Micki..
I'm sorry sorry to hear this. I'm sure he was a great man. :)
**hugs to Micki and her family**

HoRsELUvR
10-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Im so sorry to hear about your loss.My condolences to you and your family that you lost someone so special.take care.

babolaypo65
10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Micki, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. We are all thinking of you.

RubyMutt
10-01-2003, 08:45 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear that, Micki. You and your family will be in my thoughts :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-01-2003, 08:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. You wrote a wonderful loving tribute to him and the love you had for him really shines through.

{{{hugs}}} and prayers going out for you and the rest of the family. He is now pain free and with your mother, and I know he'll be waiting for his Bubba too.

:( :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-02-2003, 05:30 AM
I am sorry you lost your father. I will be praying for you and your family.

Cookiebaker
10-02-2003, 06:22 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, Micki! I hope that your wonderful memories of him will comfort you and give you peace. {{Hugs}}

wolf_Q
10-02-2003, 06:41 PM
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

joycenalex
10-02-2003, 06:47 PM
i'm so sorry for your loss.

Sudilar
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Micki, you father truly was a special man. My condolances to you and your family. I am so sorry for your great loss.

micki76
10-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and special prayers. You’ll never know how much they mean to me.

We had just the kind of service that Daddy wanted and it was a nice beautiful day outside (just his type of day). Several people said great things about him and we took Bob with us to the cemetery. He was also in the paper in Dad’s obituary. The funeral director made both suggestions when he found out what an animal lover my dad was, and how close he was to Bob. Here’s his obituary.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid82/p4d9cc218d8a7b367cd739b31a601179e/faec233f.jpg

Once again, thank you friends.

Glacier
10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
My sympathies on your loss.

RICHARD
10-03-2003, 02:33 PM
You'll never lose your dad as long as you keep him in your heart and your mind.

Prayers and best wishes to you and your family.

slick
10-03-2003, 02:42 PM
What a gentle face. Thanks for sharing.

Sevens
10-03-2003, 05:45 PM
I am so sorry. My sympathies are with you and your family during this difficult time.

I know how you feel, I just found out an hour and a half ago that my grandmother died from ovarian cancer.

If you need to talk, please PM me. *HUG*