PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

GoldenRetrLuver
09-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Hi everyone. I've recently decided I don't *need* anything for Christmas, (I know it's a couple months away, but I need some opinions. :p) and decided to donate the money my parents were going to spend on me for gifts, to a local animal shelter or rescue (my parents are fine with this BTW). My question is, which would be better, a rescue or animal shelter?? :) I've thought of donating it to a Golden Retriever Rescue, which I highly admire, but I'm just not sure.

Any advice? Opinions?

Thanks! :)

Foam
09-30-2003, 09:36 PM
First of all- This is VERY generous of you, Julie. I admire you for this. Great job! :)
Do you mind if I copy you and do that same? :D

I think a shelter would be better because the dogs in rescue get fostered, played with, cared for and everything as to when the animals at the shelter get no attention whatsovever. Only at feeding time, and if someone wants to play. Rescue dogs will get all the attention in the world at Christmas, but the shelter animals will be treated no diffrently. Maybe a treat or two, but do some comparing.
I think a shelter would be best, but go where your heart leads you. I know how much you love Goldens, and I know you'd like to donate there, so do whatever you feel is right. I'm just offering my opinion.
:D
Again, I admire you. You are so very kind. :)
**hugs**

GoldenRetrLuver
09-30-2003, 09:39 PM
:o Thanks Cayter! :o
Sure! I don't mind at all!! :) I was also thinking of creating a gift basket for the dogs and cats at the shelters. With toys, treats, blankets, anything to make them more comfortable. :)

Thank you so much for your reply!

Foam
09-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Oh you angelic little thing! :o
I would have never thought of anything like that! You are such a kind hearted girl, you frikkin angel, you! :)
Maybe you could split the money! Half for the goodies for the shelter animals, and half to your rescue pals!
**more hugs**
You are TOO sweet, Julie!!!!!
:D

Kfamr
09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Shelter dogs don't get played with?? :confused:

They get played with, talked to, patted, walks, treats and everything at out shelter? Warm blankets in the winter, cool fans in the summer.

Either will be fine, Julie. Both in each situation need love and attention just as much as the other.

Foam
09-30-2003, 10:04 PM
At our shelter they dont...:confused: Not unless somebody hoping to adopt or just for fun takes them out for a bit.

carole
09-30-2003, 10:08 PM
What a wonderful generous idea girls, you will have the personal satisfaction of knowing some beautiful animal will be brought comfort, because of your kindness. YOU GO GIRLS. brilliant idea, may many others follow you:)

CathyBogart
09-30-2003, 10:26 PM
I just wanted to say that that is a wonderful idea! Around Christmas time I always buy blankets and toys and bring them to our local HS, and I'm thinking this year I'm going to take an idea from you and make a gift basket for the doggies of the woman who fostered both Star and Wilbur.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Hehe, I'm soo glad people are going to use my ideas!
Thanks for the advice guys! :D

binka_nugget
09-30-2003, 10:29 PM
You already know my opinion on this. :)

I just had to comment, over here shelter dogs get quite a bit of attention. Lots of people go down to the shelters to walk them (me being one of them). They allow us to do anything that involves interacting with the dog (provided it's safe). :D I love going down to the shelter..it's so much fun! Lol

GoldenRetrLuver
09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Shelter dogs don't get played with?? :confused:

They get played with, talked to, patted, walks, treats and everything at out shelter? Warm blankets in the winter, cool fans in the summer.

I would love for our shelters to be like yours. :( The poor things get hardly any attention. The numerous times I've been to animal shelters over here, I haven't seen ONE person take out a dog to pet it, bathe it, walk it, what have you. It's very sad. :(

Kfamr
09-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Hehe, We always bring extra towels, pillows, sheets, blankets & what not to our shelter when it gets chilly out.:)

wolfsoul
09-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Great idea! :D My mom would never go for it. She'd say I would be wasting my money. :(

I can understand what you say about he dogs not well taken care of. You should see my shelter, it's terrible! All the animals are sick and it smells discusting! I understand that alot of animals in one place could make a bit of a stench, but not one THAT bad! :eek: They aren't allowed to be played with. They are allowed to be walked though. They get baths, but the youth CORP group who bathe them don't really put any effort into it. The dogs come out dirty AND wet. It's so sad. :( But I have to feel the worst for the small animals. They aren't allowed out of the cages and they bite you. And they have porphyrin ALL over them :( :( :(

Bless you for helping them. :) I hope that it helps put the animals in better conditions.

Foam
09-30-2003, 10:44 PM
My shelter is like your's Julie. :( It's heartbreaking..
Every time I go down there, I donate brushes, soap, towels, food and empty water bottles.
I also bring two boxes of treats, and give treats to every dog in the shelter. :)
I love to go and take the dogs out to play, romp and run. It makes them so happy and more trusting! :D

GoldenRetrLuver
09-30-2003, 10:48 PM
I know, it's just..heart breaking. We're going down there this weekened, for my birthday. :) Hopefully bring some treats, and donate a few things. Who knows? Maybe bring home a rescue doggie! *yeah, keep thinking that Julie..* :p I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the replies! :)

binka_nugget
09-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Wow..I didn't know shelters could get that bad. Especially in bc..not too far from here! I don't see many dogs at the spca get taken out...I know they're walked but they limit the age groups so not as many people go. At the pound, where we got Kaedyn, they allow people my age to go (with parent permission) and encourage us to walk them up for an hour. They said that we can groom them too...I'm a grooming nut! I don't think two shelties can sustain me lol.

At the pound, they have treats for us to take and give the dogs during the walk. They also have a big grooming station in the back with supplies and a huge tub for the doggies :D I just love it there. I really wish they'd have other animals as well...I'd love to groom a kitty or play with a rattie but the pound only has dogs.

Foam
09-30-2003, 10:57 PM
What...we have another biiiiirthday?
>D Mwahahahahaha!!!!

Kfamr
09-30-2003, 11:00 PM
I don't understand how they are allowed to operate if they are horrible like that.

Foam
09-30-2003, 11:04 PM
As long as the animals are at least getting food, water and shelter than I guess it's legal as bad as it may be.

Rio and Me
10-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Just an idea but if ur going to give blankets make ur money go further and get some from charity shops! over here they allways have big fluffy blankets and the odd duvete etc, ur gett more for ur money too!
good job people!!!!
Ky and Rio

Logan
10-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Julie, I know your parents must be very proud of you. I certainly am!

If I were you, I'd do a little investigating to find out where your monetary donations would go if you chose to give them the shelter. They may have some sort of fund or something that they use for medical needs of certain dogs. Just want to make sure that any donation you make will go in direct support of the care of the animals.

Logan

robinh
10-01-2003, 09:34 AM
What a wonderful idea!

Our shelter has a wish list of things they need or would like to have. You can always check with them to see if there is anything they really do need. I'm sure they would be delighted to have it.

Stenograsaurus
10-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Foam
At our shelter they dont...:confused: Not unless somebody hoping to adopt or just for fun takes them out for a bit.

The same for my local shelter. :(

Stenograsaurus
10-01-2003, 11:15 AM
I am sure your parents must be so proud of you. What a great heart you have. I would probably split it.

carole
10-01-2003, 03:15 PM
I am really distressed to read about how awful some of the animal shelters are, is there anyway helping to improve these conditions, maybe volunteering to walk them and play with them, animals need mental stimulation just as human's do.

I have no idea what they are like in NZ, only the cat shelter's, and from where I got Lexie, they seem to be treated extremely well, feed high quality food, lovely bedding etc.

I would have to check it out further though to be certain.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Yes, I'll be sure to check the donation would go straight to the animals. I think I'll make a little gift basket for them, and then donate some money. :)

clara4457
10-01-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't know if this is true elsewhere, but the difference in the shelters here is one is an animal control facility and the other is an adoption facility.

The Buffalo shelter is responsible for every animal in the city, including those that are involved in court cases like animal cruelty, dog fighting or dog biting cases. Since it is funded by the city most staffing is done only for maintenence (i.e. food, cleaning cages, rounding up stray dogs, etc) and there is no money for anything like obedience training, behaviour screening, education, etc. The people that work there do the absolute best they can given the funding they have and most are dedicated to the animals there. There is very little money for any kind of medical treatment. It is not the best atmosphere for the dogs and cats - but the fault lies in the city and not the people who run it. IMHO I am constantly writing the city government about the conditions there.

There is a couple of organizations that do everything they can by funding medical procedures, finding foster homes, finding rescue organizations for some of the dogs and that kind of thing.

The SPCA is more about adoptions and they seem to have more funding. They also seem to be better equipped with a medical facility, a training facility and adoption counseling. They also have "animal cops", but for some reason they do not seem to have as many stray animals as the city shelter, but they are located in a more affluent suburb.