PDA

View Full Version : Nails

Brook
12-17-2001, 11:55 AM
I've got a question about my dog's nails. She will not let me cut them for some reason. I use to all the time and she was fine with it. The last 2 months I have tried different things and no way. Any suggestions that I could do to cut them? I might just take her to a place that grooms and have them do it.
Brook

aly
12-17-2001, 12:31 PM
Start out today by just touching her legs, praising her, and feeding her treats. Do this a few times until she's comfortable with it. Then work your way lower down the legs slowly. If you reach a point where she seems uncomfortable, stop there and feed a lot of treats with a lot of praise. Eventually try to work your way to where you can touch her feet comfortably with the nail clippers in your hand. Maybe this will relax her more and you will be able to do it again. Also, when you're doing it, maybe someone could help and be giving her treats.

slleipnir
12-18-2001, 02:09 PM
Brook, when i worked at the vet clinic, i heard the vets telling stories about dogs who were afraid to have there nails cut. It could be because one time it might have cut to deep and her him/her, and he/she is scared of it now, i would pressure your dog if it's scared, it definitly won't do anygood (i mean like holding her down or something..i knew someone who did that-its stressful)

I was watching a show the other day on how to cut your dogs nails. rub the dogs legs and paws and inbetween the toes so it gets used to you handling them, once he/she is more comfortable with it, you should be good to go :]

If you still can't get it to work, you could always do what i do and get them cut when the dog is in for its vaccs or check up.

carrie
12-19-2001, 06:03 PM
You say she used to let you, was this when she was a pup?
Has anything else changed in what you can and cannot do with the dog? Think about training, recall, grooming etc.
When did it change? What age?
Any more info would be useful - if you have cut a too short and caused bleeding/pain at some point, don't feel too awful.....we all do it at some point/ points/every few months.....ummm, welll, you're not alone anyway!