PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Stores -- revisited

Edwina's Secretary
09-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Normally I don't start these kinds of threads but I thought this such an amazing story....

I was driving back from Milwaukee today and saw the only store in the area that carries a cereal I like (inspired by the thread about breakfast cereals!)

I bought three boxes. They only take cash and I understood the young man to say nine dollars and 13 cents.

I handed him 13 cents and a $20 bill.

The automatic change dispenser spat out a bunch of change. I said, "No...I gave you 13 cents." He said, "Yes, but your total is nine dollars and
14 cents."

I looked at him dumbstruck....why would I give you one dime and 3 pennies in order to get back three quarters, two dimes and 4 pennies?

Finally he said..."If you give me another penny I can give you a dollar bill." Really?!?!?!?!?!?!?

There, I feel better. I'll go put a damp cloth on my forehead and rest a bit......

Barbara
09-30-2003, 02:33 PM
If the young man was very young maybe he was as surprised as you when he saw the result of the calculation. :D

Vio&Juni
09-30-2003, 03:21 PM
LOL, things happen.

2kitties
09-30-2003, 03:30 PM
and here's your sign...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
There, I feel better. I'll go put a damp cloth on my forehead and rest a bit......

I think that will help immensely. Sometimes you gotta wonder where this world is going to end up if these are the people that eventually are going to be in control of it. :rolleyes:

disclaimer: I know there are plenty of very smart young people out there and this is in no way a slam of all young people. So please don't take it that way. It's just that sometimes you just gotta wonder what they are thinking about.

bluekat
09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
lol:D

Cincy'sMom
09-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
and here's your sign...

LOL!!!

The drive thru at the Burger King by work actually has a sign that says, "For faster service, please pay with dDollar bills"...so I do...even if it is $3.01 I give them $4 so that have to count out 99 cents :)

Another story, I remember of my MIL was from the grocery. I believe she bought doughnuts or something adn the box said $2.99. The cashier told her $3. She said, but it says $2.99. The girl said, so what it is just a penny. to which she replied, but it is MY penny!!!

tomkatzid
10-01-2003, 03:49 AM
Tonight I serverd 2 people, 2 drinks. 1 person paid and I gave the change. No tip. OK, then they ordered again. The other person paid. Again I said it is $10.11. She hands me a $10 and I stand there waiting for the 11cents or another bill. They start talking to each other as if I am not even there. I said again it's $10.11 they just look at me. So I said I need 11cents more please. the person looked right at me and said 'I don't have 11cents.' So I said ," would you like to order something less expensive" as I start to pull the drink. and finally the other person digs up 11 cents. No tip and you want me to pay part of your bill.
some people.
guess I need to try that at the grocery store, sorry i don't have enough money can't you pay the rest for me.