PDA

View Full Version : Fish Emergency!

magcpen
09-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Four of my stepmom's fish just died. She cleaned her tanlk today, and moved it, which makes me think that they must be having a bad reaction to something new in the tank, and I am panicking! What do we do?! :eek: :(

captain
09-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Could the new water have been too cold?

magcpen
09-28-2003, 08:09 PM
They thought of that, and my mom siad it felt cold, but my stepmom's original reAaction was that it was too hot. :confused:

captain
09-28-2003, 08:12 PM
I think that either of those things could effect the fish anyway ...... so sorry that had to happen ...

Aspen and Misty
09-28-2003, 08:13 PM
How did she clean the tank???

Washign rocks, wipping down walls things like that and washing out the tank and errasing the good and bad bactieria in there is probly what is wrong. You probly killed the good bacteria's that they NEED!

Did she put in Chelorine stuff? TO take the chlorine out? What other chemicles did she put in there?

Ash

Fox-Gal
09-28-2003, 10:34 PM
When she cleaned it how much water did she remove. If she removed to much it can be from that. Fish tanks go through a cycle and if to much water is removed in losses all the good bacteria and the cycle process has to begain over. Some people I know add that cycle chemical to the water and feel it ok to remove more water then normal this way, but that can be iffy.

It can also just be from stress, if the fish were stress out in the water changing process, it could kill them. The water could have been to cold/hot, if the changing took to long and they were with out oxygen in the tank for to long, sometimes just the stress of just going through a water change can do it, depending on how it was done. Moving the tank could have stressed them. Stress is the #1 killer of fish.

With out knowing what kind of fish they were and what she did in more detail, it really hard to tell. So many things could have happed. Did she add any new things to the tank? Did she add any chemicals to the tank? If so was it to much or to little? How long did thet go without filtration? You see what I'm saying, there just so many things that can go wrong and harm a fish.

I'm sorry she lost them though and sorry I could not be much help.

magcpen
09-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Thank you for your help, everyone. That was a painc situation if I've ever seen one. I wasn't paying much attention during the cleaning, but all are likely problems. I know that the catfish were the first to die (my favorite), poor babies, and she also had some striped and red and orange fish, which look like itty-bitty versions' of Kingrattus' Mango. I know that the vequostemus (sp?) are the sould survivors, with a death toll of about eight. Thanks for all your help.

PJ's Mom
09-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Plecos can withstand a lot, which is probably why it's still alive. Did the fish turn a lighter shade when they died? (a sign of chlorine poisoning)

I agree with what's already been said. If the chlorine wasn't removed, that'll kill them really fast. :( I'm not sure what else would kill them that quickly. Even stress takes a little longer to kill an otherwise healthy fish. Knowing a few more details might help us a little more. I'm sorry all of the fishies died. :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Did you wash the plants and rocks with soap? That's a major no-no. I learned that the hard way. :(