PDA

View Full Version : Mr Stray

PayItForward
09-28-2003, 01:23 PM
This morning I heard a noise in the back room, Bramble was messing with the cat flap and I saw this strange cat pressing his head against the cat flap from the outside.

I have seen this cat once before a couple of weeks ago, I was stroking him and looking at a scratch on his ear, but he seemed well fed, so I let him be. Later my neighbour told me she knew about THAT cat, he is a stray and vicious to boot; well he was gentle enough with me.

Anyway I asked my neighbour and my Steve to keep an eye out for him and he never returned….until today.

So I nipped out to feed him with dry biscuits and water this morning and took the following photos of Mr Stray

http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/MrStray1.jpg

http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/MrStray2.jpg

Treacle was watching the stranger though the hole in the gate… Such a look of hate, Treacle seems to be saying…. what is that cat doing on my back steps.
http://www.jennykenwright.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/MrStray3.jpg

This afternoon we saw the little head of Mr Stray pressed against our cat flap. What could we do, he was fed again.

So what do we do in the long term ?

I just keep thinking of sweet RB Caramel, Mr Stray is an intact Male isn’t he more likely to be ill. If Caramel was sick, isn’t Mr Stray likely to be too ? I can’t fed him and get attached and have another cat PTS but alternatively can I let an intact cat fight for food in the neighbourhood.

I think our choices are as follows: -

: Ignore him and stop feeding him.(As if this is going to happen)
: Catch neuter and release him and continue to feed him.
: Catch blood tests him and home him (We are full, so probably at the local cat shelter, were he can compete with the increasing kitten population)

What is it about owning cats which makes us a stray cat magnet ?

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-28-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward

What is it about owning cats which makes us a stray cat magnet ?

Having the same thoughts myself - if you figure it out let me know!!!

I think that TNR would be an option, especially if you are prepared to feed him, although bear in mind that you may be drawn into vet costs etc in the future (for example, if you TNR him, and feed him, and he gets hurt in a fight etc, you will NOT be able to stand by and let him suffer).

Re-homing would be first prize, although I would worry about:
1. him having to compete with cutsey kittens
2. other people labeling him as vicious - has he bitten or scratched anyone? The reason I ask is that I have had strays which I have "connected" with and even been able to pick up - but if anyone else wnet near them they went manic, and I would NEVER let my kids anywhere near them.

Good luck in whatever decision you make - I am sure you will weigh up all the options and do whatever is best for Mr Stray!

Thanks for caring!

jenluckenbach
09-28-2003, 01:40 PM
No less than TNR. If, while he is in captivity they feel he is adoptable, a safe no-kill shelter or foster home would be nice. But I think the neutering is THE most important thing. By the way, I think he is gorgeous!

Cataholic
09-28-2003, 02:03 PM
I, too, think he is a looker! And, bless you for caring. Like Jen, I think TNR is the least you can get away with. Maybe he could become a permanent outside cat? (Not my preference, but, you can't continue to take in each and every cat).

PayItForward
09-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I, too, think he is a looker! And, bless you for caring. Like Jen, I think TNR is the least you can get away with. Maybe he could become a permanent outside cat? (Not my preference, but, you can't continue to take in each and every cat).

This is the problem, I believe all cats have the right to be inside when they want but we cannot adopt every cat that turns up. Esp when we must be on the 'Stray cat's sucker (they'll feed you)' list already.

Oh I heard from my neighbour that Mr Stray has been aggressive with the local children but I bet teasing was involved (knowing the little brats... heard they were blowing up frogs yesterday :mad: )

But I have stroked him with no problems, maybe he'll get a home quickly...he certainly is a looker.

It is the fear of him being sick that is my main problem, I would feel so bad to take him off the streets, just to have him PTS like Caramel. :(

kitten645
09-28-2003, 04:09 PM
I so understand your heartbreak w/Caramel...what a lovely baby he was..I would be crushed w/similar circumstances..but the only thing that you can do is TNR the beautiful baby...and go from there...you certainly don't want kittens in your backyard again....BTW how gorgeous is Bramble??

jenluckenbach
09-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Think of it this way (even though it is not a great amount of comfort) Caramel did not need to suffer with his illnesses for weeks or months. His end was fast and caring.

Cataholic
09-28-2003, 04:34 PM
I must echo Jen's sentiments again. Sometimes the ONLY thing we can do is provide love and comfort.

PayItForward
09-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by kitten645
...you certainly don't want kittens in your backyard again....BTW how gorgeous is Bramble??

We trapped Bramble, her Mother & siblings in my neighbourhood in someone else's garden NOT my yard.

Thanks for asking about Bramble, although we still await her blood test results, she is currently bouncing around the living room.

PayItForward
09-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Think of it this way (even though it is not a great amount of comfort) Caramel did not need to suffer with his illnesses for weeks or months. His end was fast and caring.
Yes, I think he had suffered enough before we met him, at least he had a quick painless end.

Originally posted by Cataholic
I must echo Jen's sentiments again. Sometimes the ONLY thing we can do is provide love and comfort.

I want to do the right thing... and as soon as I figure out what the right thing is....

krazyaboutkatz
09-28-2003, 05:29 PM
He sure is gorgeous. :) I also agree with Jen and Johanna that you should try to TNR him. Then hopefully he'll be healthy and be able to be rehomed. Good luck. :)

Killearn Kitties
09-29-2003, 04:21 PM
I too think the most important thing you can do for this cat is to neuter him. Obviously if he handles well with you then he might handle well with other people; you can judge that better than me. It would be great if you could get him in a position to be rehomed, but sometimes that is not possible.

Our cats were all strays and their father was a feral tom. Eventually we managed to catch him and take him to the vet for the snip. Realistically though, that was as much as we could do. It didn't even occur to us to try to keep him inside. We built a garden shed for him so he had shelter if he needed it, but I don't think he really used it. He came to us when he needed help or when he needed food.

Having said this, your cat does not look the same as our stray. Mr Stray looks sweet and friendly. This is on his side if he is put up for adoption.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

feeling frisky
09-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Pay it Forward, have you ever though about being a foster mom?? You would be GGRREEAATT!! I have read a lot of your posts and they are so caring and full of love. If you become a foster mom I'll leave my husband and my kitties and I will come be foster kats!About the stray tho I would catch him and take him to the local shelter.After a few days no one adopts, well... whats one more mouth to feed??!!You have so much love to give!!!

moosmom
09-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Jen and Johanna have very good advice. TNRing is probably the best way to go. Build him a little insulated shelter and make sure he's being fed. I am now feeding the white and black cat that kept getting caught in the trap while trying to get Eli back. This cat is definitely feral. So I made him a shelter and feeding station in the backyard with my landlord's permission (he doesn't care). I plan on trapping this cat again in a couple of weeks and having him fixed and putting him back out. That's where he seems to want to be. As long as he's cared for, that's what I'd do.

PayItForward
09-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by feeling frisky
Pay it Forward, have you ever though about being a foster mom??
I did look into fostering but decided against it, as I would end up adopting every cat I got attached to. See me with 50 cats in small house ;)

PayItForward
09-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Jen and Johanna have very good advice. TNRing is probably the best way to go. Build him a little insulated shelter and make sure he's being fed. I am now feeding the white and black cat that kept getting caught in the trap while trying to get Eli back. This cat is definitely feral. So I made him a shelter and feeding station in the backyard with my landlord's permission (he doesn't care). I plan on trapping this cat again in a couple of weeks and having him fixed and putting him back out. That's where he seems to want to be. As long as he's cared for, that's what I'd do.
We hope to catch and have him scanned for a microchip, he might be owned but I can't see him having a microchip when he is still intact !

Of course Mr Stray has not been by today :(

If he has no home I hope to have him blood tested, It is important to know if he is ill or not.

If he is healthy we'll look at getting him on a waiting list for a no-kill shelter / alter him (Might have to wait until I get paid)

I would hate to leave him outside, he deserves a home (If he doesn't have one already).

Well, he could be wandering a fair distance as he is an intact cat... I'll post an update if/when he returns.

PayItForward
09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Continued on this thread.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35070