PDA

View Full Version : At what age does yellow labs go into heat?

Network23
12-09-2001, 01:16 AM
I have a yellow lab i found, no idea of her age, but she went through heat, nipples popped out and didnt go away, so I figure that was her first heat.
Only reason im wondering, is i've been debating when her birthday should be and how old she is.. I've had her about 8 months, 4-5 months ago she went into heat. Any ideas? (I got her fixed, YAY, i never had a female dog till her, and having blood on the carpet and kitchen floor and bathroom floor and a swelled vagina was not my idea of a pup :)

Dixieland Dancer
12-09-2001, 07:07 AM
You can not determine age by heat cycles. All female's start at different ages and then come into heat in different cycles. For instance, my Dixie had her first heat cycle at 9 months and she comes regularly every 6 months. Her mother, Dancer, had her first heat at 11 months and comes in every 8 months. I have a friend who has a 17 month old female golden and she hasn't come into season yet! This is not the norm but does happen. The only thing guarenteed with a heat cycle is that it last an average of 21 days, seven days going in, seven days in, and seven days going out. And then again, not all females drip blood. It depends on how heavy the flow. Some you don't even know they are in heat. This is usually the smaller breeds. Labs usually flow heavy because they are a larger breed. Dixie drips occassionally but for the most part keeps herself really clean. I use pads at night on her.

Did you have the lab when she had puppy teeth? This is usually a good way to determine age. Puppy teeth normally fall out around age 4 months. Other than that, I don't know how to determine your dogs age. Maybe someone else on the forum does.

SimbaTWonderDog
12-09-2001, 11:45 AM
Im not sure about your heat question but...... couldn't you bring her to ypur vet and have them determine what her age is?

Because my grandma got a dog from the older lady a while ago and the lady said she was 8.. well they took her to the vet and found out she is really 12!

Logan
12-09-2001, 12:37 PM
If you're not going to breed her, why don't you have her spayed when she goes out of this heat? Its so much better for her health, and a lot less mess and concern for you! :)

Network23
12-09-2001, 02:52 PM
Yea. I did get her fixed, when she was in heat she ran away for 36 hours, luckily came back.
She didnt have her pup teeth when i got her, looks like they were already all in.
When I take her to the vet i'll ask, I didnt think about asking the vet, but I dont know how they would know.
I'm thinking shes about 2-2 1/2, but its a guess.
Thanks.

And this dog flowed like the Nile, it was horrible.