PDA

View Full Version : Allergy or Reaction to shots?

jackiesdaisy1935
02-10-2001, 08:37 PM
Our daughter in law took both of her Schnauzers in to the Vet for shots this afternoon. Rocky the male seemed o.k., walked to the car then promptly vomited all the way home. They took him out side and then he sort of wobbled then fell down and just layed there. They ran back to the Vet with him and he gave him oxygen and said he probably was allergic to the shots. They said they would treat him and keep him for a few hours. Rocky is two and half years old and has never been allergic to his shots before and has never been car sick etc which they suggested. Has anyone ever come across this problem? We are waiting as I write to hear how he is doing! Needless to say I am worried sick.

RachelJ
02-10-2001, 09:11 PM
I remember the vet telling us that the dogs might be tired after shots, but we've never had any kind of a problem, even that, and something like this sounds so extreme. Please let us know how he is doing, poor little guy. Did the other dog have any problem at all?

jackiesdaisy1935
02-11-2001, 02:50 PM
They did keep Rocky for about three hours, they said they gave him benedryl, when he came home he just went to sleep and slept for a long time. This is what is amazing to me, when the other Schnauzer Sunny got up this morning she had large welts all over her. They rushed her down to the Vet and they said well it's possible they both had an allergic reaction and they gave her an Rx to counter act her shots. The girls give the shots at this particular Vets, I think she must have made a mistake, either the wrong shots or something. Of all the dogs we have owned, we have never come across a problem like this. I could see one dog getting a reaction, although he never did before and neither has Sunny, but both dogs at the same time. I don't know. I believe we will be checking out another Vet, I am afraid to bring my dogs down there any more. Oh by the way Sunny did Vomit also.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 11, 2001).]

Genia
02-11-2001, 03:56 PM
That is unusual. I think a trip to another vet would be the thing to do. It sounds like maybe the wrong type if injection was given. Or is there a possibility that it was a bad batch or expired?

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited February 11, 2001).]

sammi
02-11-2001, 05:07 PM
Boy, that does sound very unusual with both dogs have a reaction. Guess I would get a second opinion on that one. Like Genia, stated ? a bad batch of medication.

carrie
02-11-2001, 06:04 PM
I would visit another vet for his opinion on two dogs that have never had a reaction both having on e on the same day!! Then I would want an explanation!!
I'm so glad both dogs are OK now.

KYS
02-11-2001, 10:22 PM
I was thinking on the same lines as
the others.
Maybe it was a bad batch of serum?
I can see one dog re-acting, but not both.
When my dogs get their shots, I am told
to watch for swelling around their face.
Glad your pups are alright.

[This message has been edited by KYS (edited February 11, 2001).]

wolflady
02-13-2001, 01:55 PM
That really does sound like some sort of allergic reaction or reaction to a bad batch of serum. I would definitely go to another vet to get another opinion and possibly a checkup to make sure the dogs are alright. I've also heard that as of late, some sorts of shots that have been given yearly are given too often(maybe only needed once every three years) and have caused sarcomas to develope in dogs and cats. Kinda off the subject there, but it's something to look out for when getting shots administered. Also, giving them in different places each time will decrease the possibility of getting sarcomas.

Let us know how the dogs are doing!!

jackiesdaisy1935
02-13-2001, 02:14 PM
Rocky and Sunny are doing well, they were not themselves for a few days, but seem back to normal now. The Vet keeps insisting that it just happened that they both became allergic at the same time, no way to prove it was the wrong medicine or that batch was bad, so our daughter-in-law and ourselves are looking into a new Vet who has some interest in the animals and some compassion.

Daisy's Mom
02-13-2001, 05:17 PM
What a jerk of a vet!!! I hope Rocky and Sunny are alright. Send them some kisses from me.

Sudilar
02-14-2001, 08:50 PM
Sounds fishy to me. Get another vet. Glad your two pups are better now!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***