PDA

View Full Version : decon scare!! need info

umaguma
09-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Hope someone out there can assist me. I just got my 5 month old black lab puppy out of the hospital for decon poisoning. She received a blood transfusion and is now on vitamin k for the next three weeks (along with LOTS of monitoring by us). Here's the problem. We took all of the decon out of the house (I think its even too cruel for mice now that I saw what it can do!!) but obviously missed one box. Of course the puppy didn't miss it and again she ate it. I immediately called the vet who told me to induce vomiting (which I did) he then told me that she should be alright since she is currently taking the vitamin K for the first poisoning. I guess I am just looking for anyone who may have had a similiar experience as I am very worried. She appears to be fine. I trust my vet, but his office is closed for the day, so I can't call for reassurance. Any help or advice would be appreciated........By the way....I'm sure ALL of the decon is gone now. Thanks Amy

Karen
09-27-2003, 03:24 PM
How scary! No experience in this, but where in the US are you? I know in our area there are a couple Emergency all-night and open weekend vet clinics, who might be able to reassure you ... any in your area? Check the phone book ...

Welcome to Pet Talk, I hope your pup is okay after all this. Leave it to that puppy nose to find exactly what you DON'T want her to!

umaguma
09-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I called the animal hospital that she was in for the first poisoning (of course I felt like a real idiot) but they gave me the same info that my vet did. I do feel much better. You bet this won't happen again. I have just become this puppy's body guard. Good thing she's cute cause she doesn't have much goin on upstairs:D Thanks again Aim

tatsxxx11
09-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Being the Mom of a Lab too, I know so well how inquisitive they can be and we all know puppies manage to get into eveything! I would continue to monitor her carefully; what a frightening experience.:( Just wondering, is there not any emergency vet near by for when animals get sick in the evenings, on weekends, etc? Please give you Labbie girl a hug for me. I hope she's feeling all better very soon!:)

KYS
09-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk.
Puppy's seem to get into everything and anything. :(
I hope she is felling better and will be fine.
Sending good thoughts your way.

tomkatzid
09-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Max, a friends cocker, ate it too. Here is the link I posted back then. He pooped it out for over a week, even though they pumped his tummy. He also had to go back for more blood tests, to make sure it was out of his system. Vit K thickens the blood so they don't bleed internaly.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28188
Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted.
Max is doing just fine now. I think he ate it more than once too. His Mom said there wasn't any more, but he pooped it for over a week. But he is doing just great. No side effects from it. The good news it was decon brand, and that you found out that he ate it. Not all brands work with Vit K. , according to the emergency vet we went to. Just make sure to do some follow ups at your vet. Call the emergency vet and ask them about eating it twice. They are more used to these things than a reg. vet and maybe have a different idea.

Again good luck to you:)

anna_66
09-29-2003, 08:22 AM
I hope your pup will be ok, please keep us updated.

Oh, btw...Welcome to PT:D