PDA

View Full Version : Help.. please!

SimbaTWonderDog
12-08-2001, 02:15 PM
Well Simba has FLEAS! :eek: :eek:

And well we use harts flea shampoo and i was wondering if it is ok to use control at the same time as we use flea shampoo (you know the tub liquid stuff) PLEASE HELP! Hes got flea bites all over him. UGH! i feel so horrible for letting it get this bad :(

KYS
12-08-2001, 02:38 PM
Sima:
I do not know anything about Control,
but if you can find out anything on the package, their should be a phone number on the box where you can call the manufacturer and ask them.

Same thing with any flea product,
Call the manufacturer number on the package or ask your vet if you can not find the
answer on the instructions.
A co-worker used Advantage on on his heavely flea infested dogs, and with-in 24 hours his dogs were flealess.

Logan
12-08-2001, 02:39 PM
KayAnn, I don't know anything about Control. Just make sure you read the directions real carefully and see if there is any warning about mixing it with flea shampoo. I wouldn't think that the flea shampoo would be a problem with anything, as we use it on both of our dogs if we see fleas, plus use the Frontline drops every month.

Good luck!! Can't be having an itchy Simba!! :(

SimbaTWonderDog
12-08-2001, 02:46 PM
See... i looked all over for the box and cannot find it all i have is a tube that ui never used... maybe ill just stick with this hot shot stuff we bought for pet and pet home he hates being sprayed with it.. it like a big spray can but its for pets.

Dixieland Dancer
12-08-2001, 03:53 PM
KayAnn,
The best thing for flea control is a once a month topical treatment such as Frontline, BioSpot, Advantage, etc... Some kill fleas and ticks and some kill just fleas. If you live in a wooded area then get one that kills both ticks and fleas. We use Frontline because it kills both. The packaging says it starts to kill them in 12 hours.

Flea bites can lead into other problems if not addressed immediately so depending on how bad he is, you may want to take him to the vet for a consultation to determine the severity and proper treatment.

Flea shampoos are ok for controlling the fleas from coming onto your dog for a few days after a bath but typically are not strong enough on their own if infestation has occured.

I use to use flea dips on my dogs years ago before the newer topical treatments came along. Now the beginning of every month I put the topical treatment on and forget about it. We haven't seen a case of fleas in I can't tell you how long. These new products are wonderful! You can now get them at PetSmart or some store similar. The cost of these products is not so astronomical as they were when they first came out too. I look at it as an ounce of prevention to prevent a pound of cure (or however the saying goes!).

SimbaTWonderDog
12-08-2001, 04:19 PM
I feel so horrible for letting him get this way! Thanks for everyones advice.. i decided to put the control on and go from there... I feel sooo horrbile :( :(

TheAntiPam
12-08-2001, 05:03 PM
Those little pests can multiply faster than ...well, too darn fast! Don't forget to keep an eye out for fleas in areas that Simba likes to rest. Once he is protected, they may come after YOU!!! You may have to use a "flea bomb" on the room or house. Often there is more than one step needed to getting rid of those critters! :mad:

Good luck - you're being very smart to check on product interaction to protect your sweetie Simba! :)