PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing?

Cataholic
09-27-2003, 12:25 PM
I live in a very developed neighborhood, with houses very close together, maybe less than 15 feet. I love my neighbors on all sides, we all get along.

My neighbor on one side has a 18 year old son, who is in a rock band. The full thing...amps, electric guitar, microphone, drums...you get the picture. Well, they practice three times a week in the basement. The practices used to take place randomly, and sometimes at 10 pm!!! Since April, the practices have been EVERY Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I can't begin to describe the noise level. But, I can sit in my living room, with all the windows and doors shut, and STILL have to turn the TV up significantly to hear it. I cannot sleep if they are practicing, though I confess to being a light sleeper. My windows rattle. I can hear the noise five houses down the street, and still think it is 'loud'. There are no exxagerations here, none.

Finally, last night, at 650 pm, I went next door and told my neighbor, Marcie, just how I felt. I told her it was disruptive to the entire neighborhood, it wasn't fair that one 18 year old boy gets to do this, blah, blah. I told her my windows rattle, I can't hear the TV, I can't sleep, etc.

She admits it is loud, that she and her husband, too, can't have a conversation while they are practicing, but, "what can I do"? she says. I said, "say NO". But, then, where would they practice (the last house booted them out), I don't like telling my son he can't be in a band, it is too expensive to rent a studio, they can't keep moving the equipment back and forth between houses (my suggestion that they rotate houses, between the 5 in the band), etc.

She said it used to be over AT 7 pm, but, sometimes the boys get there late...I said, "tell them too bad! Practice ends at 7, no matter when they get there"! We agreed that 7 pm MUST be the cutoff (I can stand it when I know relief will be there promptly at 7), that they can turn the amps DOWN, though I suggested practing without amplification, and maybe limiting it to 2x a week.

I was so upset. I told her I had thoughts of calling the police, that it was that bad for me.....

Now, of course, I feel badly. I wasn't rude, or shrewd...just very annoyed, specific, and complaining.

Did I do the right thing? Any suggestions for making the peace again?

Uabassoon
09-27-2003, 12:33 PM
I think you did the right thing. My instruments aren't nearly as loud and I still make sure I only practice at a resonable hour. With my steel drums since i know they can be fairly loud, not enough to make a window rattle but loud enough to where I'm sure people will hear it, I only practice during late afternoon hours when people are more likely to be out of their home and even for a late sleeper it not too early that I am waking them up. With my bassoon I will sometimes practice as late as 9, but usually I try not to practice that late. People need to learn how to respect their neighbors and even as a musician I realize that not everyone wants to hear my music.

Pam
09-27-2003, 12:33 PM
I think it sounds like you handled it beautifully. Obviously she is aware of the problem so it probably came as no surprise. Other neighbors might have just called the police rather than "fess up" with their frustrations. At least she will hopefully know that if anyone should call the police in the future that it won't be you since you had the courage to speak with her directly. I think the idea of alternating houses is the best solution. We have some teens down the street who used to practice a little in the garage after school and I could hear them 4 houses away. I can't imagine being next door with amplifiers and later in the evening! :eek: Hope things will change. You need your beauty sleep (as do we all!) ;)

HoRsELUvR
09-27-2003, 01:12 PM
I think you did the right thing.Its more rude of the band to keep the whole neighborhood up then it is for you to try and get them not to play so loud, even tho there isnt much they can do about it.i think that limiting their practce time until 7 is better than making them stop playing altogether.

popcornbird
09-27-2003, 01:22 PM
I think you did the right thing. You were polite, and got your point through without hurting the neighbor's feelings, and that's what matters.

In the area we live in, the houses are close together too. I'd say about 15 feet between each house too. Our next door neighbors on one side are a couple with 3 dogs and two parakeets. I can hear their parakeets chitter chattering when both of our windows are open, but its very faint and sounds nice. :p They only do it for like 15 minutes then quiet down. Their dogs.............2 of them don't bark *at all*, and their 3rd addition barks occasionally, but they are responsible enough to keep him inside when he does. No disturbance from that side.

On the other side, we have a family, we about 5 kids..........older kids in their teens, maybe some in their early 20s. The kids are *never* at home, but they come home at like 1-2 am when we're sleeping, and used to chat OUTSIDE with their friends. It was ANNOYING to be woken up by the voices of teens outside. What we did was we wrote a letter, and put it in their mail box. The next day they came to apologize and we've never heard them ever since. I'm glad we have such nice neighbors. The rest of the neighborhood is quiet, not many kids, only one annoying dog on the other side of the road that can bark all night long. We haven't told them anything *yet*. Can't figure out how. :o

moosmom
09-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Johanna,

You absolutely did the right thing, speaking with the neighbor first. I always believe that you go to the source first before any other measures, such as calling the police.

You, as an attorney should know there are noise ordinances in all towns. I think the cut off is 9 p.m. (but I wouldn't tell THEM that!!) If speaking with the parents doesn't work, get a petition going around the neighborhood, having everyone who believes the same as you do sign it. Then take it to the neighbors house and show it to them. Tell them that if it doesn't stop then you'll have no recourse but to get the police involved. After that, it's out of your hands.

Everyone has rights. You have a right to peace and quiet just as they have a right to practice their music, WITHIN LIMITS, of course!!

Good luck.

2kitties
09-27-2003, 01:29 PM
You did exactly the right thing. And next time, call the cops. They've all been warned. I'm all for freedom, but not when it disturbs others.

rg_girlca
09-27-2003, 01:39 PM
I agree with the others that you did the right thing. Also that if it should continue, to go and talk with the other neighbours and see if they all feel the same as you and as Moosmom said, start a petition to have something done about it.
You should not have to put up with that.

Cataholic
09-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
You did exactly the right thing. And next time, call the cops. They've all been warned. I'm all for freedom, but not when it disturbs others.

I feel the same way. YOUR freedom stops when it infringes on others.

LoudLou
09-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Ok, I am familiar with this situation, as we just went through this with a local band I manage here... HOWEVER, "here" the houses aren't so close together...

Our town has a noise ordinace. You most likely do too. Perhaps the "Band" is unaware of that.

You talked to the parents and that's a good start. My next suggestion BEFORE you call the police is to try and talk to the "Band" personally. Maybe get a few others in the neighborhood together and have a meeting with the "Band". Wether you like their music (noise ;) ) or not let them know that you are all for them practicing and hope they maybe go somewhere in their career but, you and others have a right to peace and quiet at reasonable hours.

My reasoning for you to talk to the "Band" is this: More than likely they are teenagers, when "Turn it down or Turn it Off" comes from the parents they'll blow it off or turn it up... After all, "Parents Just Don't Understand";) ...But if they are serious about being a "Band" then they most likely will respond to your request.

If that doesn't work... Then call the Boys in Blue.;)

But I strongly recommend you try talking to the "Band", not just the parents.

Wishing you some peace & quiet...

Katie

Cataholic
09-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Katie,
Funny you should mention I should talk to the band, themselves. I had thought that, too. Two weeks ago, I came home to let Binx out, and returned to work...about 230 pm. I came home again, at 5 pm, and one of the band members cars were parked in front of my house- that wasn't the problem. The problem was the McDonald's bag, cup, and half eaten french fries (very tempting, I might add) in my front yard. Now, it is remotely possible that the teenager of that car did not throw that bag in my yard, that, someother low life did. But, I marched right over, and asked to speak to the son. He came out, and I told him what was going on. He apologized, and I told him I knew HE didn't do it, but, one of his friends did, and would he please talk to them...respect, neighbors, etc. I don't know if he did or not, but, I felt it was ok to go to the kid that time. With this situation, it is the parent's responsibility to control what goes on in the house. I am not sure I feel like tackling the 5 band members.

The situation is bad. I hate it.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Most definately. That would drive me ABOSOLUTELY INSANE!!! Good job.

Tonya
09-27-2003, 08:04 PM
I think that you did the right thing. You have a valid complaint. It's a good compromise to allow the bands to practice, but have the practice end earlier.

shais_mom
09-27-2003, 11:57 PM
I think you definately did the right thing.
You handled yourself exactly right.

My neighbor beside me one time I left my house around 4pm one Sat and came home around 11pm and the same music the same volume was STILL rattling my windows. I had to work at 7am the next day and I called the police. They came and he turned it down.
My neighbor behind me I think has more in the stereo system in his car then the car is worth. It isn't so bad anymore but he used to be really bad about the 'thumping'. One of my friends, a cop, lives across the way from him to and has told him repeatedly while off duty to keep it down, but when he is on duty he DOES.
I don't know what happened but he has finally kept it down more now then before.
And the thing is these aren't Teenagers!!! I am way younger then BOTH of the men!!!

Miss Meow
09-28-2003, 12:47 AM
If the noise is affecting the quality of your home life, then I think you did the right thing by complaining. I'm sure your other neighbours are sick to death of the noise, but are too scared, shy etc to do anything about it.

If they want to go somewhere in their careers, the first thing the lads can do is learn some discipline, rather than getting together haphazardly at all hours ...

lovemyshiba
09-28-2003, 10:27 AM
I am positive you did the right thing.
My husband plays the drums, and his cousin guitar. Since we have a spare room where he has his drums set up, they get together and jam once in a while, never after 8pm. When we first moved in, he told the neighbors he played drums, and asked them to listen for him once while he played--they couldn't hear it.

Hopefully they appreciate the fact that you went to them first, and didn't call the police, and they will remember that when scheduling their next practice.

KYS
09-28-2003, 10:45 AM
I also think you handled the situation extremely fair.
I like peace and quite.

Cataholic
10-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, here is an update to knock your socks off...after that Friday night, things on Monday seemed a mite quiter, maybe. Then, by Wednesday, back up to LOUD!! Another Friday loud, and finally, this Monday, I called the police. They showed up, and those guys were cranking! Loud! The police talked to them, and left. Ten minutes later, LOUD!

So, tonight, I called again. And, the same officer came out..and heard it again. He was like, "I told them last time..."...then, the dad walked up the street, and the officer said, "look...we were here on Monday, what is going on?" I filled out a complaint, and we are going to try private mediation. I pushed for a citation, but, the officer said to try this first..he he he...

The officer told the dad- band is over tonight. No more noise. The dad came over later, very apologetic, as was I. He said his son would like to talk to me, and see if we can't work something out...and I said that I was agreeable to that, but, I was done listening to 6 hours of cruddy music a week, and I wasn't hopeful that the sound would be lowered enough.

One of the boys had a few choice words for me (funny how well this 18 year old knew me :D ). I told the dad I really didn't appreciate that kids comments, and it certainly wasn't making me receptive to working something out with the 'band'. He said that that boy was kind of trouble, and again he was very sorry.

How do you like that? I call the police on my neighbors, and they apologize to me! I like the quiet! I like the peace! At least for tonight.

carole
10-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Cataholic of course you did the right thing, I myself lived next door for one year to the NEIGHBOURS FROM HELL, I own my home, the place next door is a rental to university students, most have been fine, but these ones had parties continually day and night, they never stopped, you get nowhere here with noise control, and even though I had the landlords support initially, he soon got sick of hearing from me, and then took a different attitude.

That whole year was a bad year for my family in general, and this just added to the stress, it was a year of misery, and I did not know how to get it to end, luckily they moved out and my new neighbours are just fine.

mugsy
10-08-2003, 09:22 PM
I don't think I would be overly likely to "talk" to the band members if they are going be nasty about it. I would stick with what the officer said and if you have to call again, I would insist on a citation since it was the 3rd time he has had to come out.

Cataholic
10-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I told the adult father that I was going to go ahead and go through with the mediation. I don't think I will get a citation issued until the mediation has happened. I thought the officer was giving me the citation referral, but, it was only a mediation referral. I intend to call them every time it happens.

micki76
10-08-2003, 09:59 PM
You go girl! Kick some butt!

popcornbird
10-08-2003, 10:15 PM
*gasp* Catapault called the cops on her neighbors! :eek: Bad Catapault! :p JUST KIDDING! You did the right thing and I would've done the same. Actually..........I *did* do the same...........3 times 2 years ago. We have a neighborhood swimming pool behind our house, and the rules for it are *no swimmers past 9pm*. Well, 2 years ago in the summer, some neighborhood teens decided they had the right to do their 18th birthday party there, with LOUD music that ripped across the pool area, past our backyard, and into our house with the windows CLOSED mind you. We waited, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 1:00..........that was IT. Those kids were going to leave no matter what. Grumbled, got out of bed, told my parents, and called the cops. Then went to the window to see what they would do when the cops came. The cops came, went in the pool area and said on a loud speaker.........*KIDS! Happy Birthday! Now GO HOME!* YAY! The kids left! :D

This happened several times and we called the police everytime, and now it doesn't happen no more. It took several police calls for them to learn their lesson, but now 2 years, and no more trouble. Thanks cops! :D

captain
10-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Short and sweet :

YOU did the right thing
THE PARENTS need to take more responsibility!

P.S. Tell them you'll SUE!!! :D

mugsy
10-09-2003, 07:50 AM
This is just another example of parents NOT taking responsibility for their kids AND being AFRAID of them! Geez I hate stupid people.

shais_mom
10-09-2003, 01:22 PM
I think you definately did the right thing again. I also think you shouldn't give up on talking to them just b/c one is being nasty. If he is a known trouble maker and continues to be nasty like he is, then maybe the band will boot him.
I wonder if you could get the Humane Soc involved b/c they are terrorizing your cats. Would that count as animal cruelty? Would be an interesting approach.
And if the band/family/kids find out that other neighbors are bothered by it too, they might find somewhere else to pollute with their noise!

Samantha Puppy
10-09-2003, 01:33 PM
You rule, Cataholic!! Very well handled. Keep us updated. :)

carole
10-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Staci after reading your thread I had a thought I wished to pass on, re- my own experience, with my NEIGHBOURS FROM HELL, I found it was not a good idea to do too much, as they would retailiate, they once sprayed graffetti on our caravan, which yes I did ask them to clean off, and they never did, they used to throw their rubbish in my section, all these kind of things, one never knew if they would pop over in the middle of the night, and key the car or something (its in a carport).

I know this was not fair, that we had to live in fear of what they might do, but just a warning BE CAREFUL, you have actually got to catch them at it to have proof., to take matters further.

It can be a NO WIN SITUATION. so cataholic be careful you don't antagonise them too much, you never know what some awful people will do.

shais_mom
10-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Wow Carole!!
That just makes me glad that my neighbors ONLY play loud music occasionally! And have several cars around, and the one I share an alley with has the biggest walnut tree in the world, and all the walnuts are falling into my driveway and yard! :(
:mad:
But it could always be worse, tho. They really aren't bad people, and they watch out for us also.
:(
I hope your neighbors move soon!! :(

carole
10-10-2003, 03:09 AM
Those ones did move on thank goodness, but it was a whole year of misery, the next ones stayed for a year and they have been great, the difference being they were all employed, so they did not have time on their hands, like the other one's did, and they have been very considerate, so I am hoping they stay on.

moosmom
10-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Geez I hate stupid people

Yo Molly,

That's MY line!! :D You're right. It IS another example of parents not taking responsibility for their kids. Makes me sick! :mad:

Johanna,

You definitely did the right thing. Go through all the channels first. But everytime these disrespectful juveniles start with the loud obnoxious music, call the cops. I can guarantee you that after MANY calls, the cops will soon tire of making trips out there and do something about it. YOU have rights too that these jerks are violating. :mad:

carole
10-10-2003, 02:17 PM
you are lucky, the cops won't come here for such things, too trivial, only if its like a real bad party, and someone is getting hurt, we have to use noise control instead and they are next to useless.

catland
10-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Have the boy's parents considered trying to create a sound-proof room for him and his friends to use?