PDA

View Full Version : Important - Please Read

moosmom
09-26-2003, 09:39 AM
There is a new craze out there among kids between the ages of 12-17. It's called "Pharming".

Kids go into their family medicine cabinet and take handfulls of pills from each bottle (doesn't matter WHAT the prescription is.), could be heart medicine, hormone replacements, anti-depressants, sleeping pills.....YOU NAME IT!! Doesn't matter what it is. Like I said, they take handfulls from each bottle and put it in a plastic bag, mixing the pills up.

Then they swallow a handful of the mixed up medications and wait to "see what happens".

The scary part is, doctors who were interviewed said that because the pills are mixed up and not in their original containers, they have no way of knowing what medications the kids took NOR do they know how to TREAT them :eek: :eek:

What I advise EVERY parent to do is to put your medications under lock and key, and to educate your kids on how very dangerous this new "fad" is. The only thing they will experience is death.

binka_nugget
09-26-2003, 09:47 AM
I've never heard of that craze...but that's interesting. Yeesh, some kids.

cloverfdx
09-26-2003, 09:52 AM
:eek: i had never heard of that before, scary

thanks for warning everyone

babolaypo65
09-26-2003, 09:57 AM
I heard about it.:(
It's happening here.

lovemyshiba
09-26-2003, 10:11 AM
That is very scary.
I cannot believe people can be so dumb, they never cease to amaze me.
If someone did that with my medicine cabinet, who knows the cocktail they would end up with--very very stupid.

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Oh that is so sad. :( I sure hope the future gets better for our children.

catland
09-26-2003, 10:47 AM
I verified this by going to Google-News.

It sounds very scary. Favorite pills include Vicodin, Percodan, and Tylenol-3. The articles also mention that its important to get rid of these medications once you are done with them.

But over the counter medications, like cough syrup and cold relief tablets, are also used.

Moosmom - I forwarded you message to my family memebers with children. I recommend that others do the same.

thank-you for this potentially life saving post.

Dakota's Mommy
09-26-2003, 01:22 PM
WOW, I can't imagine that being fun at all! That's just scarey. I truly can not believe that kids are into this!

Kfamr
09-26-2003, 02:09 PM
I've never heard it before either, but, it's completely stupid. I can barely stand taking pills anyways, and I only take them when I HAVE to.

gini
09-26-2003, 02:41 PM
This is a new one for me too. The question that comes to my mind is WHY? Is life that boring for them?

Every parent should be aware of this new trend and talk to their kids, clean out their medicine cabinets. It should also be in newspapers and talked about in the schools.

When you are young and caught up in the peer pressure it is possible to make some pretty dumb decisions. This has to be one of the dumbest!

RICHARD
09-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Moosmom,

Thanks for the heads up.....

As sad as it sounds, NOTHING amazes me anymore.

Is the NextGen THAT FREAKING STUPID???

This is going to sound very cruel and crass but years ago I met up with a gal from the ER and she was very flustered. I asked her why she was ticked
off.

She said that there was a patient who blew the top of his head off....She was part of the team
that was trying to save him. She told me that it wasn't fair for them to try and save an idiot who
wanted to die - with half his head gone what kind of life would he lead if he was saved?

Either the kid will live and learn his lesson,
become a vegetable, or die...should they live and NOT learn their lesson, they just postpone dying from pulling some other stupid stunt.

I am surprised the kids are smart enough to take the pills OUT OF THE BAG before they take them,
but, I remember people smoking banana peels!

:rolleyes:

2kitties
09-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Just another facet of Darwinism, maybe?? Or no, not a new facet. Just a really good example of Natural Selection.

Sorry, but I've no sympathy for people who die of their own stupidity. I assume we aren't talking about toddlers here. We are talking about teens- people who SHOULD have better sense than that.

Twisterdog
09-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Sorry, but I've no sympathy for people who die of their own stupidity. I assume we aren't talking about toddlers here. We are talking about teens- people who SHOULD have better sense than that.

I agree. What idiots. :rolleyes:

moosmom
09-27-2003, 06:46 AM
I remember people smoking banana peels!

Geez RICHARD,

Will ya stop making me feel older than dirt already?????? LOL! I remember when word had it (I was only around 13 at the time) that if you dried banana peels in the oven when smoked it, you'd get high. Whoever thought of THAT either had blunt force trauma to the head as an infant or was on an acid trip :p . And no, I never tried it.

I just don't understand SOME kids these days. :rolleyes: Like Gini said, is their life THAT boring that they have to do something THAT stupid???

Your ER friend has every right to feel the way she did. Why in the heck would you want to save someone who doesn't WANT saving?? And if I ever wanted to end my life (not that I would) I'd make damn sure I did it the right way so I wouldn't be a vegetable and burden to my family. Having worked on an ambulance for 20 years, believe me I've seen it all, just like your friend, and also feel the same way. Some people are just too stupid to be worth saving.

09-27-2003, 07:00 AM
What a scary new thing :eek: :eek: ! I hope that this won't become a habit in Europe too!
I am sure that my kids would never do that, as I tought them never to take ANY pill before asking me.
Geez, what's next in weird habits???

Pam
09-27-2003, 07:47 AM
Boy the things one can learn at Pet Talk! :eek: I never heard of that before, but I too agree with Gini. How can life be that bad? They haven't even begun to live yet! Is it boredom or the quest for 'something new and exciting.' Somehow kids seem to think they are immortal! So sad!

HoRsELUvR
09-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Some kids just think its cool to do stuff because they're not supposed to do it.i know people who do drugs and sniff things to see if theyll hallucinate.i personally am not interested in doing any of that.i have never heard of pharming,but it sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me.

popcornbird
09-27-2003, 03:20 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've never heard of this before! :eek: Its CRAZY! Some people are just SO darn STUPID!

I don't understand why some teens thing that way and do such things. I'm glad I don't have ANY such friends. If they do this to themselves on purpose, I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for the problems that result from their own doings.