PDA

View Full Version : Has PT changed your mind about any animals??

lovemyshiba
09-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Before I came to pet talk, there were certain animals, and certain dog breeds that I didn't like.
Since I have been here, my mind has been changed about so many things.
First example--I used to hate poodles--I never knew any, but I just didn't like the way they looked--I figured they were snobs. Now that I have "met" so many, like Bella, Ripley, Reece, Smokey, and others, I have completely turned around--I may even have one some day!!!
Another one is rats--I thought they were icky. Seeing everyone's rats and how cute they are and hearing all of the stories--I like them, and can see why all of you that have them do.
I'm still working on birds, but I am close. I never really liked them for a pet (never had one), I thought they were noisy and dirty, but seeing birdies like Popcorn, Muffin, Sky, Rocket, Jo, and all of the other beautiful PT birdies has changed my mind almost completely. I don't know if I would ever have one, but I have a deeper respect for them now.

I'm not a cat person, but all of these beautiful kitties make me think twice--if I didn't have such horrible allergies, I would probably have a few cats too.

I was just wondering if PT pets had this effect on anyone else??

primabella
09-26-2003, 06:57 AM
YES! :D

Before PT I not only was not aware of so many puppy mills and pet stores, but now I know better. I also used to dislike Poodles, I guess because of the way the media looks upon them. But that totally changed my mind when I saw Reece, Ripley and more. I also used to think Pitties were dangerous. I never blamed the dog because I had learned that they had locking jaws and so forth but now I know better, it is the owner who makes the dog. Oh and I never even knew some breeds like the Shiba Inu ever exited! :o

Yeah PT has taught me a lot. :)

Cookiebaker
09-26-2003, 07:04 AM
Definitely! I never knew the pain and harm in declawing. I was under the very wrong assumption that because a vet would do it, it would be OK.

I have learned so much from pettalk!

Pam
09-26-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Before I came to pet talk, there were certain animals, and Now that I have "met" so many, like Bella, Ripley, Reece, Smokey, and others, I have completely turned around--I may even have one some day!!!

:o Aw gosh. Bella and Ripley say they are so happy that they have helped you see their curly relatives in a different light! :) I can't say that PT has changed my mind about animals but I certainly have come to know and respect all breeds better. Meeting other PTers and chatting with them about their pets through this message board or through PM has really made me feel that I "know" some of these pets so much better.

Although I am still working on seeing the merits of having a "rattie" :o as a pet I do feel better about them as a result of learning about them. In fact some of the pictures are so cute! Education is the key to acceptance. I have also enjoyed Popcornbird's bird stories and who can forget Logan's "zippity do dah" (sp?) singing Roger! LOL!

anna_66
09-26-2003, 07:38 AM
I never really cared much for cats. I thought kittens were cute, but that was about it:o
But after seeing so many wonderful cats (Nicole's & Niina's just to name a few) if I could...I think I would have one (shhhh...don't tell the dogs that;) )

cloverfdx
09-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Rats :D i was never realy fond of them, but after reading about and seeing pics of the cute lil ratties i have completly changed my mind. but unfortunatly i cannot have a rat of my own as we have a lil JRT x who would love to hunt down lil ratties for dinner

and also i was never realy fond of pure bred rottweilers, dont know why , maybe found them a bit scary lol:confused:

and birds (i want one) i never realy thought of having a bird as a pet (friend) but oneday maybe i will :D

thanks PT'ers

aly
09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Reecie sends sloppy kisses to you Emily :D

I haven't had my mind changed any because I came here loving all animals. I've been an animal freak since before I could talk :) My dad used to take me to the zoo every single weekend.

binka_nugget
09-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Absolutely! I wasn't fond of rats either but after hearing about all the pt ratties, I loved them! Also, I like cats much but...now, I'm just dieing to get one when I move out.

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Aww this is such a sweet thread SHIBA! I am so glad that everyone's views on ratties are changing. I just adore my ratties! :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pad8133d9eb03ce4c1b9fd98695291637/fb532d9d.jpg

What about hedgies? lol :p

cloverfdx
09-26-2003, 10:32 AM
OMG very cute :)

yes hedgehogs aswell ;)

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks! :D

lovemyshiba
09-26-2003, 10:42 AM
I have always adored hedgehogs--they are too sweet!!!!

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I have always adored hedgehogs--they are too sweet!!!!

Yay! I love my hedgies so much! I just posted new pics of them a few days ago in Pet General if you want to see pics. :)

zippy-kat
09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
How about bunnies? Did anyone ever *not* see them as housepets before?

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 10:53 AM
I LOVE bun buns! But yes I knew they could be inside. It was recently though that I found out people actually let them roam their house free range. I always thought it to be very scary but the more I learned I found out that those people care for their bunnies very much and made sure their home was safe and bunny proff beforehand.

lovemyshiba
09-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

I lived with a girl a few years ago who had a bunny for a pet. It was supposedly litter trained, yet left little treasures all over the house, and ate all of the wallpaper.

I didn't live there long.

I do know that they can be wonderful house pets, she just hadn't trained hers at all. Unfortuantely, I couldn't have one right now--I have 2 hunters in the house.

dukedogsmom
09-26-2003, 12:52 PM
I have changed my mind about rats. I still wouldn't have one as a pet but I have seen some mighty cute ones on here.

ParNone
09-26-2003, 03:23 PM
No not really. It's not so much a dislike of the other animals
though, as it is an all consuming love of Dogs. I've had Rabbits
and Fish and have been around friend's and family's Cats
and Birds and none of them hold a candle to a Dog for me.

There's just something very special about Dogs. I just feel
as long as I have a Dog by my side, all's right with the world.
Just to look at a picture of a Dog, doesn't even have to be
mine, gives me a sense of peace, that I do not get from any
other animal. Every bit as good as meditating I figure.:)
So I just don't see myself giving up a spot in the family for a
Cat or Bird, etc, when it could go to another Dog.

As to a change in view of specific Dog breeds, not really
there either. I love researching and reading and looking
at pictures of different breeds (you can not believe how
many Dog books I have). There's breeds I know aren't
right for my personality and lifestyle, but I still love reading
about them. I know that the three I have now are the
perfect ones for me, but maybe someday I'll have a Golden
or a Greyhound or a Corgi or a Berner or.........:)

Par...

Uabassoon
09-26-2003, 03:30 PM
I never used to like birds until I came to PT I thought they were all mean and all they did was bite. But after seeing birds like popcorn and muffin my mind has been changed. Now I love birds, I'm still scared to get near them but now I want to get over my fear of birds because I think they are so cute.

Kfamr
09-26-2003, 03:30 PM
I had the same feelings as you, Emily. Rats still scare me a bit .:p

I was never really a cat person, but since my brother got Orion, And I've fallen in love with him. :p

Aspen and Misty
09-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

Acctaully yes. My mom always told me she kept hers in the barn, they werer mean and attacked people. I was like :eek: :eek: I don't EVER want a bunny would have been a my response probly a year or two ago. When I came here I heard lots of stories about how wonderful pets bunnies are and good things about everyone's bunnies. I did lots of research because you guys peaked my interest and now I am the proud momma of 2 baby bunnies who are the loves of my life and who live inside and are extremly spoiled. ALthough Julian is now starting to get a temper about me being in his cage I wouldn't trade them for the world :D

Ash

wolfsoul
09-26-2003, 06:30 PM
I'd have to say poodles. :) I never used to like them. And I hated the "show" cut. But now I can see the beautiful doggy behind the cut. :) Still don't like it that much though lol.

I'm still not really a cat person..:( And I'll NEVER be a SPIDER person!!! :eek:

Cataholic
09-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Not really. I love all animals, and always have.

Logan
09-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks for starting this, Emily.

There are still a few pets that I don't care to have, or don't think would be safe in my house, but I have certainly gained a healthy respect for many species that I did not know very much about, before.

To name one or two.....I probably don't want to have a snake or an iguana, but I certainly admire those people who have them, especially those horror stories that we have read about where they were in such horrible shape, and the new owner has helped them survive.

When I joined this board, I think I had Honey and Lilly (Golden Retrievers, who were probably 1 or 2 when I joined this board), Mimi (cat), Phoebe and Evelyn (hamsters). I have always had an issue with small rodents, with tails. No more, due to all the rat lovers on this board. Will I have one? Probably not, but I sure appreciate all the ones that are shared with us a lot more than ever. When we lost our last hamster, so tragically, I swore, no more, and I meant it.

I can't say that Pet Talk caused me to add the Cockatiels, but it sure has been fun sharing them here, and learning from the other bird owners. And I lost my fear of having too many dogs, obviously, since I now have 4. And when Butter showed up our house, I never thought I'd keep him, but I did, with lots of support from my friends here.

tikeyas_mom
09-26-2003, 08:04 PM
befor I was on pt I didnt think I would ever touch let alone own a rat!!!