PDA

View Full Version : TNR colonies vs wildlife

Denyce
09-25-2003, 02:36 PM
I am neither for nor against this. I just thought some might be interested in reading this new proposal and having a discussion about it. There is always more than one side to any issue.

ACTION ALERT! SUPPORT PENNSYLVANIA S PROPOSED RULE PROHIBITING RELEASE OF DOMESTIC CATS!

The domestic cat is not native to the United States, yet millions of pet, stray and feral cats roam the country, killing native songbirds and small mammals, and transmitting diseases and parasites such as rabies, toxoplasmosis, and cat-scratch fever to wildlife and humans. The state of Pennsylvania is attempting to address this problem but is facing opposition from well-meaning but misguided people. Pennsylvania needs your help to push through a proposed rule prohibiting the release of domestic cats into the wild. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A RESIDENT OF PENNSYLVANIA TO SUPPORT THIS IMPORTANT NEW PROPOSAL.

Some people feed stray and feral cats in so-called "managed" colonies, mistakenly believing they are helping the cats. Called Trap/Neuter/Release or TNR, the cats are trapped, spayed or neutered, and then released back at the trap site, often within important wildlife habitat. Volunteers continue to feed the cats for as long as they stay in the colony, which could be a day, a month, or even years.

American Bird Conservancy (ABC), and many other conservation and animal welfare groups, strongly oppose TNR for many reasons, including the fact that cats in colonies, even if well-fed, still kill birds and other wildlife. Not all of the cats can be trapped, the cat food attracts more cats, and the colonies often become dumping grounds for unwanted pets. Thus, cat colonies are not eliminated, but perpetuated. Cats in colonies still face all the hazards of living outdoors, including disease, getting hit by cars, and attacks from other animals. TNR is not humane, and may be illegal under wildlife and animal welfare laws.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) has proposed a Rule to make the release of domestic dogs or cats into the wild unlawful. The text of the Rule amending 58 PA. Code CH. 137 can be found at: http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol33/33_38/1838.html . Unfortunately, this proposed rule is under strong attack by TNR advocates.

EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT A PA RESIDENT, please send an email in support of this Proposed Rule to: [email protected], or by mail to: Director, Information and Education, Game Commission, 2001 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797 by October 3. The PGC will hold a public hearing on October 6 starting at 8:30 at 2001 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg, PA. If you can attend, please sign in and you will have 5 minutes to speak.

If the PGC adopts this Rule, release of domestic cats and dogs into the wild would be legal. It would also serve as a model for other state wildlife agencies to follow when dealing with the tremendous toll that domestic cats have on wildlife across the country. For more information on the many problems with TNR, click on the Managed Cat Colonies button at www.abcbirds.org/cats. Thank you for your support.

Linda Winter, Director
Cats Indoors!
American Bird Conservancy
1834 Jefferson Place, NW
Washington, DC 20036
(p) 202-452-1535, ext 201
(f) 202-452-1534
[email protected]
www.abcbirds.org/cats

Twisterdog
09-26-2003, 02:25 AM
Well, I'll bite.

I agree with this proposal. I believe cats and dogs are domestic animals, and need to live a domestic lifestyle, with familes that care for them.

I don't think living wild, barely managing to keep from starving to death, getting hit by cars, killed by other cats/dogs, etc. is a life for any domestic animal.

I am also opposed to any non-native species being introduced into native ecosystems. There are literally hundreds of examples world-wide that show the destruction, havoc, death and destruction that can come from releasing non-native or domestic/feral animals.

I personally believe TNR is exactly what this proposal states it is, "well-meaning but misguided."

Russian Blue
09-26-2003, 10:58 AM
In a perfect world, we would already have mandatory pet registration for all domestic animals, spay/neuter laws, and higher fines/prison sentences for animal abuse and illegal dumping of domesticated animals. So yes, I am all for keeping your domesticated pet indoors.

But, after working with the group Stray Pet Advocacy my view on TNR is not misguided in the least. I am totally for TNR and there are many studies that show TNR does work and has many advantages over lethal methods. We have spent the last 6 months collecting research on this issue.

The San Francisco SPCA fact sheets cover the TNR, Feral Cats and Public Health concerns. Click here for a basic overview - Feral Cat & Public Health (http://www.sfspca.org/gifs/pdf_factsheets/Pubhealth.pdf) (pdf. file)

You can also read more collections of reports and studies on the effectiveness of TNR vs Lethal Methods of Eradication. Non Lethal Control (http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/non-lethal_control.html)

After helping out at Stray Pet Advocacy and SaveSamoa, I am a firm believer that many anti-TNR advocates are turning a blind eye to the human effects (urbanization, pollution etc) and are making feral colonies (the former household cat that they no longer wanted to take responsibility for) as the scapegoat of their own inaction.

If people took the time to contact their local political representatives, helped out at local animal shelters, lobbied for changes to animal abuse laws and the creation of illegal dumping laws that came with stiff sentences, then feral populations would no longer be a scapegoat to the ecosystems troubles. There would no longer be ferals around, so who is left to blame when these 'fragile' ecosystems are still being threatened? Human populations are the major threat to all ecosystems, now and in the future.

I am all for LAWS that force pet owners to take responsibilities for their domesticated pets and pay penalties when they go against these laws. But I am not going to take for fact that TNR practices are 'misguided' when so many studies, projects, and current feral colony managers show exactly the opposite - positive results.

Cataholic
09-26-2003, 11:18 AM
RB, I couldn't agree more. We do not live in a perfect world. TNR is the best bet, by a long shot. The alternative is far worse.

Denyce
09-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Wow! Two really good well-written arguments.

I just don't see how at this time it is an enforceable law. How can you catch and prosecute someone for dumping off an animal when it is mainly done at a time no one will see them. The people that would be most affected by such a law are the people who attempt to manage the colonies of cats that are left behind. What is their alternative? Total destruction of the colonies? Until the human race takes more responsibility for their actions the overpopulation and abuse of animals will never be controlled and there will always be colonies of feral cats.

I also agree that there are many other causes for the destruction of wildlife. Gee...I think we can all look at the metal box we all race about in all day long going about our lives. I am sure there isn't a single person who hasn't accidently killed wildlife while driving, including birds. Do we ban all cars?

Denyce

smokey the elder
09-27-2003, 09:02 AM
IMHO, the problem is caused initially by human beings, and the cats are used as scapegoats. TNR has been shown (alleycatallies.org) to stabilize populations; they just did a story on the New York news about a colony in a town in NJ where the population has dropped by 80% (!!) in five years.

Until all who own cats properly care for, spay and neuter them, and puppy/kitten mills are made illegal, strays will be a problem. TNR is the best of a bad lot of alternatives.