PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes!?

Kfamr
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
OMG.. They just had a story on the news that we should look out for Coyotes!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm so scared. I swear if ANY COYOTES touches my dogs I will borrow my neighbors hunting guns. :mad:

http://baynews9.com/site/Search.cfm?storyid=25131&action=story&contentid=36

Here it says they lives in most parks -- That would mean they could be near the dog park :( It's wooded around that area.
:( :mad:

I never thought coyotes would be down here, and I really hope I don't ever spot one.

Knowing Nala she wouldn't be afraid of it and would just want to play with it. :(

slick
09-25-2003, 01:47 PM
New Westminster (where I live) has the highest population of coyotes in the Lower Mainland and my condo faces a park. Last night about 10pm I could hear them howling which means they've caught something. It was so disturbing I had to close my balcony door. I have heard that they will not go after anything their size or bigger so I would assume that big dogs are safe, but who knows.

All the more reason to have indoor pets.

wolflady
09-25-2003, 01:51 PM
I kind of feel sorry for coyotes because the only reason why they are the way they are is because of people encroaching on them and forcing them to live in close residency to people. People's pets get picked off because they are roaming, which they really shouldn't be doing anyway, and there is no natural food available to the coyotes. In most cases, wild animals prefer their natural diet, but if the natural diet is removed they have to resort to unnatural diet and scavanging. Coyotes have learned to do this from years and years of encroachment. It is a sad and potentially scary situation for anyone. Wolves get the same treatment from ranchers that live near forest preserves (Yellowstone) and other people who simply are afraid of them. While working at Wolf Park in Indiana during my college years, I also got to interact with their only coyote (Wild Bill) and he was a sweetie. Coyotes are surprisingly small, and they are only doing what they need to surivive because of the position people have put them in. :(

I do agree that it's not good for people with pets, but things need to be done from both ends to ensure safety.

ramanth
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
KayAnn... when I took a walk last fall and heard the baying of coyotes, I freaked out.

But after talking to some people (my aunt namely - she lives in Coyote central), she said that coyotes are naturally timid of people and dogs.

They would rather run away than risk a confrontation.

Small dogs and outdoor cats run the risk of being a meal... and usually that is if the coyote is starving.

Simba and Nala are of good size. I don't see a coyote having the guts to go after them.

*HUGS*

babolaypo65
09-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Northern NM is fulll of coyotes. I've never known them to go after bigger dogs. Cats, yes. A friend lost her yorkie to a coyote,.. but generally they are afraid of humans and stay away.

luckies4me
09-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Coyotes are not as bad as people think they are. And after all, THEY were there first, not US! :rolleyes:

For you to say you would just go borrow your neighbors gun makes me so angry, it is the stupidiest comment I have heard in a long time. Coyotes usually leave dogs alone and people.

Cats are another story, but people should leave them inside if they are so worried about it. They are wild animals, our cats are domestic, it is our responsibility to keep them safe indoors.

If a coyote killed a small dog or cat of mine, would I be pissed? NO. Why? Because they were there first and if we hadn't had encroached on their habitat and destroyed it making them have to move into cities to look for food it wouldn't happen.

When I lived in Whitter the coyotes would follow me home all the time, they would walk right up to me initiating play. They were not savage or agressive at all. I used to live with a coyote for a very long time, a pet, named Daringer, who was the sweetest canine you could ever meet.

isis
09-25-2003, 02:34 PM
OMG!!I'm so glad I live on the Outer banks!We don't have any coyotes Where I live,ofcourse Sully wouldn't go near a coyote.

Denyce
09-25-2003, 02:43 PM
I grew up in So. Calif. near Rancho Santa Fe and in Encinitas. I had horses then and used to ride across the hills nearly everyday. There were numerous times I came across packs of coyotes.

One sad occasion I was riding alone and I heard a noise. A coyote came busting out of an orange orchard, ran a bit more then stopped and looked behind it. I then heard the baying of a dog. The coyote started to run again and pretty soon a beagle came out of the same orchard. It was hot on the scent and trail of the coyote. Just shortly after the beagle passed in hot pursuit the rest of the pack followed out of the orchard.

Coyotes are smart resourceful animals. But the previous person was correct. The reason we are having more trouble with them in more areas is that they are losing their hunting grounds.

Denyce

slleipnir
09-25-2003, 02:45 PM
We've always had foxes and coyotes around here..I've never however, heard of one attacking and hurting a dog..atleast here, they are VERY timid

Desert Arabian
09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
When I lived in Whitter the coyotes would follow me home all the time, they would walk right up to me initiating play. They were not savage or agressive at all.

Then that is not a truly wild coyote. A wild born Coyote would never walk or follow home a human, unless it was raised by huamns then released....like this one. 99.9% of coyotes are scared s*itless of humans.

Kayann, I wouldn't worry about Nala & Simba- they are most likely bigger than the Coyotes, and could hurt it before it hurt them. :D If it was a kitty or something smaller, then I would be worried. Or, if you lived up by our cottage, you would have to keep an eye out for wolves, mountain lions, and black bears! :eek: Our neighbor almost lost their dog to a black bear about 3 months ago! :(

luckies4me
09-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Then that is not a truly wild coyote. A wild born Coyote would never walk or follow home a human, unless it was raised by huamns then released....like this one. 99.9% of coyotes are scared s*itless of humans.

Um yes they were wild coyotes, they lived in the forests surrounding Whittier. There are no "pet" coyotes there. They would come out at night and follow me home, running behind me. Which is why our neighbors cat was eaten. I doubt someone raised a bunch of coyotes and set them free in the wilds of Whitter. Especially since most are tagged and being monitored by the local Fish and Game committe. And when I say initiate play it's not like a domesticated dog running up to you with it's tail wagging, it's nothing of the sort. When I would turn around they would run the other way, and then turn around and follow me again. One got so close I could pet it, which I didn't, but it would have let me, and then would probably have bit me out of fear.

In 29 Palms the coyotes would follow you too. Yes they are scared but it doesn't mean they won't walk up to you, especially when they are hungry and searching for food.

dukedogsmom
09-25-2003, 03:16 PM
I saw that on the news earlier today! Can't believe it. Better be on guard.

Barbara
09-25-2003, 04:41 PM
I have not many experiences about coyotes but foxes here have started to follow the humans because their area is getting smaller, on the other hand they can feed perfectly on human dumping sites. So they live now in cities as well. In these circumstances it can happen that the animals no longer act that shy as they would in a complete wilderness.

I have seen one evening a coyote in Yosemite. It came out of the woods on the parking lot -it was evening but quite some people were around- stood still, looked around and went back slowly without showing any signs of panic.

CamCamPup33
09-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Um yes they were wild coyotes, they lived in the forests surrounding Whittier. There are no "pet" coyotes there. They would come out at night and follow me home, running behind me. Which is why our neighbors cat was eaten. I doubt someone raised a bunch of coyotes and set them free in the wilds of Whitter. Especially since most are tagged and being monitored by the local Fish and Game committe. And when I say initiate play it's not like a domesticated dog running up to you with it's tail wagging, it's nothing of the sort. When I would turn around they would run the other way, and then turn around and follow me again. One got so close I could pet it, which I didn't, but it would have let me, and then would probably have bit me out of fear.

In 29 Palms the coyotes would follow you too. Yes they are scared but it doesn't mean they won't walk up to you, especially when they are hungry and searching for food.

should she say sorry for being wrong? :rolleyes: and i would say i would "borrow my neighbors guns" if something happened to my dogs.. i love animals and all but i love my dog and i think i would use them if that happened..

Kayann we arent coming up there to get eatten by wild coyotes!! :eek: LOL!! nope nothing would stop me from coming except maybe the walker duel.. i have enough bruses already.. Keep a good eye out and keep us updated..

**nala** coyotes arent your friends.. no playing.. lmao..

luckies4me
09-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
should she say sorry for being wrong? :rolleyes: and i would say i would "borrow my neighbors guns" if something happened to my dogs.. i love animals and all but i love my dog and i think i would use them if that happened..

I was simply explaining the situation, gee. Sorry for having an opinion. :rolleyes:

I can think whatever I want. If I think it's a stupid comment than so be it, everyone thinks and acts differently. Now if you want to continue this with me you can send me a private message, or simply add me to your ignore list. Thanks!

wolfsoul
09-25-2003, 06:40 PM
There are hundreds of coyotes where I live. They really aren't that bad. Where I used to live, they'd come right into our back yard. One night I even slept in the tent in the backyard so I got to be really close to them. My dad didn't like them in the backyard, so he'd let Leather and Stitch (my old dog) out into their pen and they'd scare the coyotes away. Even in huge packs, they are pretty afraid of dogs.

Coyotes are extremely smart, and don't generally go around humans. They are the smartest of the canids, which is why there are so many of them and why they are extremely difficult to catch with a trap.

babolaypo65
09-25-2003, 07:30 PM
A lot of it is an encroachment issue. We encoarched upon their land (especially a problem here) and they moved to look for food. By and large they aren't dangerous to humans, but no one told them that our cats and small dogs were pets, to them they are no different than the animals they used to hunt on THEIR land, before we took it....

Kfamr
09-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Coyotes are not as bad as people think they are. And after all, THEY were there first, not US! :rolleyes:

For you to say you would just go borrow your neighbors gun makes me so angry, it is the stupidiest comment I have heard in a long time. Coyotes usually leave dogs alone and people.

If a coyote killed a small dog or cat of mine, would I be pissed? NO. Why? Because they were there first and if we hadn't had encroached on their habitat and destroyed it making them have to move into cities to look for food it wouldn't happen.

I took just a few to explain myself, or express MY opinion for.

Coyotes may not be bad, and I understand they were here first. As I said IF they were to touch my dogs, I WOULD borrow my neighbor's gun. I WOULD NOT just let some wild animals, come in my backyard and kill my dogs, if they would even do so. That is wahy I said IF.

You wouldn't be upset is a coyote killed one of your animals!? I'd be outraged, If my dogs can't be safe in their backyard without some animal, which they would think is a dog and would want to play with it.

As for it being the stupidest comment, That I would PROTECT my animals, the ones that I HAVE brought to live with me -- In my opinion, you have surpassed that. ;) :rolleyes: :)

It's not my fault i'm here, it's not my fault that we have 'enroached on their territory' -- I can't apologize what I would do naturally, if needed.

I mean, Would you let a wild Coyote attack or maybe kill Dylan? Because that's exactly what Simba and Nala are to me -- My children.
P.s. Sorry if I spelt your son's name wrong. :p

babolaypo65
09-25-2003, 07:42 PM
My apologies, kafamr, if I am one of those who offended you. I forgot for just a moment that you don't post to pettalk for discussion but to express your unwavering opinion. My apologies, I wont make the mistake of presenting my differing, albeit knowledgeable in this regard, opinion.

Kfamr
09-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
My apologies if I am one of those who offended you. I forgot for just a moment that you don't post to pettalk for discussion but to express your unwavering opinion. My apologies, I wont make the mistake of presenting my differing, albeit knowledgeable in this regard, opinion.

Um well, you say sorry for offending me, but then you go and offend me? :mad: :(

Anyone can express their opinion towards mine, but, if they're going to say i'm stupid for it -- Then why wouldn't I explain myself?

No need for you to apologize, as It wasn't your post who I quoted in the first place. :rolleyes:

binka_nugget
09-25-2003, 08:11 PM
we have LOTS of coyotes around here. I'm terrified to bring Kai to the park. I tend to take him around 4-5 while the sun's still out and lots of people are there. I guess I don't really have to worry about one taking them away because my dogs are never off leash (since I have no control over kai offleash)...so the moment I spot one, he's in my arms :p

luckies4me
09-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

You wouldn't be upset is a coyote killed one of your animals!? I'd be outraged, If my dogs can't be safe in their backyard without some animal, which they would think is a dog and would want to play with it.

As for it being the stupidest comment, That I would PROTECT my animals, the ones that I HAVE brought to live with me -- In my opinion, you have surpassed that. ;) :rolleyes: :)

I mean, Would you let a wild Coyote attack or maybe kill Dylan? Because that's exactly what Simba and Nala are to me -- My children.
P.s. Sorry if I spelt your son's name wrong. :p

If ANY animal were attacking any of my pets or my son you are damn right I would do something about it. I would try something else, no matter if that meant me getting bit in the process. It it were Dylan I would probably do ANYTHING for him because he is my flesh and blood and my SON. I would try not to harm the animal but I would do what needed to be done.

The way I read it was like you were trigger happy, not knowing how coyotes act and automaticaly assume they were going to attack your dogs. Sorry if I interpreted it differently. I can understand trying anything to help your animals. That is common sense...........it just sounded different to me. More likely, your dogs would get a big piece out of the coyote and it would be the wild animal that would need protecting.

And I never said I wouldn't be upset if a wild animal got to my dogs, I said I wouldn't be pissed. Because they do not know better, it's their nature and what they do. Of course I would be devestated, but I wouldn't let it happen in the first place. If I lived where coyotes were around my dogs would NEVER be left outside alone, never giving the animal a chance to do harm.

Maybe I am just in a bad mood today, I don't know.

Oh and your spelt my son's name right. ;)

Kfamr
09-25-2003, 08:21 PM
You read it wrong.

I'm not "trigger happy" - Or whatever. I'm just saying, If needed I WOULD shoot the coyote. Maybe even just shoot into the air. Probably not even I would do the shooting, I'd have my neighbor do it. He hunts every year, so he knows how to use a gun.

If I saw a coyote walking down the street, I would put my dogs to safety and call animal control. If I saw them attacking my dogs in my backyard, I would do something about it.

And. My dogs would not know better than to want to play with them. It is in their nature, and they wouldn't know if this thing was going to attack them or not. That's why I said IF in my first post.

babolaypo65
09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Sorry, it's something I've noticed before. this is just the first time it's gotten my ire. You are very strong in your opinions, and sometimes you just want support for them, not to consider changing them. It's your right certainly.

Consider this done, I really dont want to argue.

Originally posted by Kfamr
Um well, you say sorry for offending me, but then you go and offend me? :mad: :(

Anyone can express their opinion towards mine, but, if they're going to say i'm stupid for it -- Then why wouldn't I explain myself?

No need for you to apologize, as It wasn't your post who I quoted in the first place. :rolleyes:

luckies4me
09-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Well then I must have read it wrong. I also felt that a child need not have a gun for any reason!

Now lets all stop bickering and move on. I am sorry if I offended you. Simba and Nala are sweet dogs and I can understand you wanting to protect them. :)

Kayann, I never said YOU were stupid. I said the comment was stupid...........not stupid, more like a little extreme. But that is my opinion, and yes we can all think what we want.

shais_mom
09-26-2003, 12:08 AM
We have hundreds of coyotes and coy-dogs around here. At my parents house you can hear them howling at nite. When I had Shaianne I couldn't tie her to the tree at nite to potty and now with Keegan, I try not to let her go out of the lite of the secuirity lite. In the county where my parents live, they are hunted. And that is all I am going to say in the matter, I do not plan to discuss it further, just so anyone knows, before someone tries to blister me. My dad does not hunt them, noone in my family hunts.
My aunt and uncle have an outside Lab/GR mix and she runs all over the 100+ acres of their farm with no problems. They also have about 20 cats. Some of them may come up missing, I am not for certain. But as with outside cats anything can happen.
The coyotes are big around here, probably close to 50 pounds but a lot of them are mixed.
I live in town about a block away from the country (can walk to the end of my alley and see fields, this country girl likes that!!!) and on a clear night, if I stand out in my yard, I can hear them howling to each other.
Up where Amy lives (Cincy's mom) in Toledo they have them
downtown, I remember seeing on the news one running thru the streets. There have also been cases up there where people let their little dogs out to potty at night and the coyotes came up and snatched it, before the people could do anything. Kinda like Ozzi! :(

wolf_Q
09-26-2003, 12:20 AM
We have coyotes here, but not many, or at least they stay well-hidden. I've never seen one in Utah, but my mom saw one on the street a few months ago. You'd think we'd see them more, as we're right up against the mountains.

I think it's unfortunate that these incidents between coyotes and people occur, as it's really not the coyotes fault. They aren't doing things out of evil or anything, just doing what comes naturally.

If I lived in an area where coyotes were abundant and frequently found in the cities, I'd certainly be more careful about letting my dogs out. I'm sure I wouldn't let them out alone, especially at night. Though I wouldn't be carrying a gun around either.

Maybe I'm strange, but I envy any of you that have had the chance to hear the howl of a coyote (or wolf!) at night, that's something I'd love to experience.

binka_nugget
09-26-2003, 12:44 AM
Oh I just remembered a little experience I had last week. We visited a friend of ours who owns a large patch of land. She told us that lots of coyotes live around her area. She said that sometimes, they wait outside her fence...she spotted one a couple days before we visited. We were outside enjoying the night when I heard the coyotes running and then a howl after. I was freaked out! Not for my safety but for Kai and Kaedyn's...who knows what might pop out of one of her many blue berry bushes and snatch kai or kae.

Twisterdog
09-26-2003, 01:00 AM
I kind of feel sorry for coyotes because the only reason why they are the way they are is because of people encroaching on them and forcing them to live in close residency to people. People's pets get picked off because they are roaming, which they really shouldn't be doing anyway, and there is no natural food available to the coyotes. In most cases, wild animals prefer their natural diet, but if the natural diet is removed they have to resort to unnatural diet and scavanging. Coyotes have learned to do this from years and years of encroachment. It is a sad and potentially scary situation for anyone

I agree. Coyotes, in their wild and natural state, will do almost anything to avoid having any contact whatsover with a human. I live in Wyoming, and we have quite a few coyotes, although not nearly so many as before people trapped them in leghold traps, poisoned them, dug pups out of burrows and drowned them, ran them to death with snowmobiles, etc.

If you love your domestic dog, admire his qualities, intelliegence and personality ... then it is more than a little hypocritcal to hate coyotes. A coyote and a domestic dog can inter-breed and have puppies together - that is how closely related they are. Coyotes act, think, react and live almost exactly like domestic dogs would, in the same situations. Coyotes are smart, funny, playful, loving parents, loyal to their pack members, shy and useful. Coyotes natural diet is mice, rabbits, lizards, etc. - not dogs and cats. I'm not saying a coyote whose territory was overrun by a new subdivision won't eat a cat or tiny dog to keep her pups from starving ... but it is NOT the norm.

If you have never seen a coyote up close, I can almost guarantee you are overestimating a coyote's size and strength. They are actually very small. The only dogs a coyote might be able to kill would be a chihuahua, yorkie, etc. - something less than ten pounds for sure.

It really, really irritates me when people who know absolutely nothing about an animal are so quick to give their almighty, always-right opinion about what that animal can or can't, will or won't do, and what should be "done with" that animal. (Before anyone gets all upset here, I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular.) Think of the root of the word "prejudice" ... PRE-judgement - judging before having the facts. Doesn't matter whether it is prejudice towards a race of humans, a breed of domestic dog, or a species of wild animal ... if you don't know what you are talking about, do some research, ask some questions and learn the facts before spouting off your opinion - which will probably be wrong.

If you are interested in learning more about coyotes, I recommend a book called "God's Dog" by Hope Ryden. She did years of research on coyotes, living near them and watching them. Very interesting, and heartbreaking book.

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Twisterdog, as always you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Kater
09-26-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks Twister -- your post cleared up some misconceptions I had about coyotes. :)

I never know whether to pronounce their name like kai-yoat or like kai-yoat-ee... :confused:
Is one more correct than the other?

Twisterdog
09-26-2003, 02:18 AM
You're welcome. :) I'm sure the flames are yet to come. ;)

According to Merriam-Webster Online dictionary, the proper pronounciation is, 'kI-"Ot, kI-'O-tE' ... so either way is correct, with kI-Ot being preferable.

I think that saying Ki-O-Tee (at least around here) is more of a slang term. I do think Ki-Ot is more proper.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

babolaypo65
09-26-2003, 06:23 AM
Around here, the northern part of the state anyway, a lot of folks pronounce it Ko-yo-te, which is the spanish pronunciation.:)

CamCamPup33
09-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Well then I must have read it wrong. I also felt that a child need not have a gun for any reason!

Now lets all stop bickering and move on. I am sorry if I offended you. Simba and Nala are sweet dogs and I can understand you wanting to protect them. :)

Kayann, I never said YOU were stupid. I said the comment was stupid...........not stupid, more like a little extreme. But that is my opinion, and yes we can all think what we want.

Okay! good now its over and everything, how about some pictures of that cutie dylan? (i did spell it right, right? :D )

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Yep you spelt it right! ;)

I know, so many people are asking for pics of him, so I will try to upload some of them today. :)

babolaypo65
09-26-2003, 11:00 AM
PS I love wrinkles in a "so ugly he's cute" kind of way!

luckies4me
09-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
PS I love wrinkles in a "so ugly he's cute" kind of way!

It's a girl ;) lol. I feel the same way about her, but she is beautiful in my eyes, even though she looks a little funny lol. I love hairless ratties! She is my oldest doe, at a year and a half. She is by far the sweetest doe I have ever had in the rattery and she owns a big piece of my heart. :)

I also have her son here as well, Harry. His name keeps changing but I think this one will stick! :o

Here's a pic of Harry, Wrinkles son.

Kfamr
09-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

If you love your domestic dog, admire his qualities, intelliegence and personality ... then it is more than a little hypocritcal to hate coyotes. A coyote and a domestic dog can inter-breed and have puppies together - that is how closely related they are. Coyotes act, think, react and live almost exactly like domestic dogs would, in the same situations. Coyotes are smart, funny, playful, loving parents, loyal to their pack members, shy and useful. Coyotes natural diet is mice, rabbits, lizards, etc. - not dogs and cats. I'm not saying a coyote whose territory was overrun by a new subdivision won't eat a cat or tiny dog to keep her pups from starving ... but it is NOT the norm.
--------------------------
It really, really irritates me when people who know absolutely nothing about an animal are so quick to give their almighty, always-right opinion about what that animal can or can't, will or won't do, and what should be "done with" that animal. (Before anyone gets all upset here, I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular.) Think of the root of the word "prejudice" ... PRE-judgement - judging before having the facts. Doesn't matter whether it is prejudice towards a race of humans, a breed of domestic dog, or a species of wild animal ... if you don't know what you are talking about, do some research, ask some questions and learn the facts before spouting off your opinion - which will probably be wrong.

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me at all but I for one never said I hated coyotes. I'm a bit frightened of them, as I am any other wild animal.

I NEVER said my opinion was almight, or always right. It sure seems possible for any wild animal, including coyote to attack a dog, as it's happened before.

I don't have to ask questions, but if I wanted to, I would, "Before spouting off my opinion" -- My opinion is exactly what it is, and I am afraid of coyotes. I don't have to know any facts to be afraid of something.

The End. Period. That's that.

CathyBogart
09-26-2003, 09:43 PM
In my experience, fear is usually sprung from ignorance...people who know nothing about reptiles running from a bearded dragon at work today for example.

Twisterdog: You're absolutely right about Coyotes, they're quite small and would be hard-pressed to harm even a small dog. We have a few in our area but I've never been lucky enough to see them, I've only heard them.

My vet has speclated that Star might be half Coyote. She looks a bit like one, and she has the classical behavior problems of a Coyote hybrid, plus when she moves she "slinks" rather like a coyote. ^.^

http://www.cranefest.com/assets/thumbs/coyote.jpg

http://www.ophiophobia.net/~wolfchan/images/star/star05.jpg

Twisterdog
09-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure if this was directed towards me at all but I for one never said I hated coyotes.

And that is why I said, quote, "(Before anyone gets all upset here, I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular.)" Did you not read that part?

I don't have to know any facts to be afraid of something.

That is exactly the attitude that make species extinct and habitats destroyed, that starts wars, that leads to genocide, lychings and burning crosses. "Don't know nothing about it ... but, by Gawd, I'm scared of it, so it must be bad. Don't wanna learn nothing about it, I'll just keep on hating it and destroy it." Very sad. Facts are what gives you the knowledge and power to stop being afraid, to stop hating. Ignorance is what keeps us afraid.

Kfamr
09-26-2003, 11:57 PM
I NEVER said they were bad. I NEVER said I hated them.
I am afraid for my dogs, just as any mother would be for her child. GOSH. :mad: :(

popcornbird
09-27-2003, 12:01 AM
I don't think a coyote would hurt a dog the size of Simba or Nala. After all, coyotes are dogs too. I wouldn't worry too much. Just take care of them. :p

Now that I know we have a falcon in our area, I'm not taking my birdies outside. Being cautious is the key to safety.

I love coyotes though. Sure I'm scared of them, but I think they're beautiful. They aren't very big. I saw some in a wild animal refuge several months ago. We have some wild ones around here but I've never seen any. I think they stay out of the cities.

shais_mom
09-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Well, I know that most of the coyotes in my area are coy-dogs so they are bigger. Not saying that they would attack a dog Keegan's size but a pack of them might, or might not. Don't know, don't plan on finding out. There have been all sorts of stories and rumors that fly about them. I saw one that was hit on the highway last spring and it was probably at least 60#.

binka_nugget
09-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
That is exactly the attitude that make species extinct and habitats destroyed, that starts wars, that leads to genocide, lychings and burning crosses. "Don't know nothing about it ... but, by Gawd, I'm scared of it, so it must be bad. Don't wanna learn nothing about it, I'll just keep on hating it and destroy it." Very sad. Facts are what gives you the knowledge and power to stop being afraid, to stop hating. Ignorance is what keeps us afraid.

I'm afraid of coyotes too. Just because I don't know everything about them, doesn't mean I shouldn't have an opinion about them right? I mean, it's human nature to just see something and have an opinion based on what you know. I don't think my fear of coyotes will lead to destroyed habitats or wars anytime soon though..

Blustang24
09-28-2003, 09:39 PM
I wanna know why any thread kfamr starts turns into a debate and people pissing other people off?!!?!?! :rolleyes: :eek: :o:confused: :confused:

Kfamr
09-28-2003, 09:41 PM
I didn't know every thread I start turns out like that! :eek:

Maybe just the ones you read, Lauren. :p

Blustang24
09-28-2003, 09:42 PM
well the photo and florida pet talk meeting threads don't but the rest sure do seem to.

Blustang24
09-28-2003, 09:43 PM
not just pointing it out to you, but to everyone...everyone (usually the same group, but not always) turn the threads into a debate

Kfamr
09-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Like I said, maybe just the ones you read. :p
I've made several others that haven't. alot of threads turn into *bickering* , But, most get easily resolved. :p