PDA

View Full Version : Pet Mortician

wolf_Q
09-24-2003, 11:18 PM
I was talking to one of the groomers I work with today. She said she used to work with a groomer who would groom dead pets. (No, she didn't actually witness it, the groomer did it after-hours).

I guess a few people wanted their pets to look their very best after they had passed. It kind of freaked me out picturing it, but when you think about it, I guess it's about the same thing as a human mortician.

Thoughts on the subject?

Kater
09-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Never knew pet morticians existed! I'm assuming if they were groomed by the moritician that they weren't going to be cremated but were to be put in a casket and buried, do you agree?

Personally, for pets and myself I'd choose cremation.

Crikit
09-24-2003, 11:32 PM
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww, that's a little high on the ick factor.

All Creatures Great And Small
09-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Interesting that you posted this thread just as I have finished preparing a dead pet for burial here :( . Laura's ratty Peanut just passed tonight, and as usual with our pets, she will be buried in a private ceremony in the backyard tomorrow. We always prepare a nice box for them with shavings and lots of their favorite treats to take to the afterlife (kind of like the Egyptians did). So I don't think it's too freaky to groom a dead pet. I personally don't have any problem handling dead pets, other than crying my eyes out while I'm doing so. I think it's nice that someone doesn't mind working with other people's deceased pets. Yes, it's very much like a human mortician - I always admire how people can do that line of work.

Miss Meow
09-24-2003, 11:58 PM
I'm sorry about Peanut :(

I couldn't do that line of work. Any death upsets me and I wouldn't be able to keep emotional distance, even with other people's pets.

I wouldn't use that service for my pets, but if it helps others mourn the loss of their beloved animals, then it's a good thing.

Twisterdog
09-25-2003, 12:49 AM
I own a grooming shop, and I've never heard of any groomer doing that. It makes sense that some people would want it done, I guess, I've just never heard of it before.

Nope, not me, I would lose it completely. I can't deal with dead animals at all, I'm a big bawling mess.

I personally can't imagine why you would want your dead dog groomed. It's not as if people have big, open-casket funerals for dogs, like they do for people, where hundreds of people are viewing the body. But, to each his/her own, I suppose.

micki76
09-25-2003, 09:06 AM
A someone who was going to be a mortician, but couldn’t cut it in mortician school, I think it’s great. Every living thing deserves to look their best on their final day, and be remembered looking like they always did.

I personally cremate my pets, but we have a large pet cemetery here where I live and people can always be seen visiting their beloved pets in the cemetery. Some go there on a regular basis. Perhaps I should look into whether they have a groomer there, I’d be happy to do it if there was ever anyone who wanted their pet groomed before burial.

I wonder if they do any of the other things a human’s mortician does?

RubyMutt
09-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
Laura's ratty Peanut just passed tonight, and as usual with our pets, she will be buried in a private ceremony in the backyard tomorrow. We always prepare a nice box for them with shavings and lots of their favorite treats to take to the afterlife (kind of like the Egyptians did).

I'm sorry to hear about Peanut :(

We have always done the same with our pets who have passed. We get them a nice box and bury them with their food bowl, faovrite blankie, toys, etc. Although, I have never groomed a pet after they passed. It's too hard to look at them :( I think it's nice that there is someone out there who is willing to do it for others.

Tonya
09-25-2003, 10:04 PM
I don't want myself groomed let alone my pets after death. This kinda goes back to Anna's thread. I think it's morbid and bad memories to have your last glimpse of a loved one when they're dead. I'd rather keep their live happy images in my head.