PDA

View Full Version : Ripley sprayed my brand new carpet and painted wall today

jazzcat
09-24-2003, 10:18 PM
I can't believe this. We have worked all weekend and week tearing out old carpet, painting walls and finally yesterday, we put in new carpet in our dining room and adjoining living room. This morning I get up and walk in to admire our hard work and Ripley strides over to a wall in the dining room, backs up and sprays!:eek: What in the world???? He never does this. Is it the new smell? Does he hate my color choices? What???

Right before this happened Scout chased him down the hall. She has only been here two months and is very dominant over him but he has never sprayed until today. Is that it? The stress of Scout and now the stress of a couple of changed rooms?

I immediately ran out and bought a Feliway Comfort Zone Plug In and unfortunately had to pay a lot for it. I hope it helps but how quickly?

Any suggestions on what to do? My husband is ready to banish him. We've been chasing him out of the rooms everytime he walks in and I've thoroughly cleaned the spots and used Natures Miracle. I'm so frustrated and upset - on my brand new carpet that hadn't even been in for 24 hours.:mad:

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2003, 10:50 PM
I don't really have any advice but it's probably due to stress from Scout. The new carpet and paint may also have something to do with it too. Are you sure that Ripley doesn't have any health problems? If not then hopefully you'll be able to stop him from spraying in the future. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Miss Meow
09-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Oh, no. I don't know why, maybe it's his way of asserting his dominance over Scout. Good luck, I hope it doesn't happen again.

jenluckenbach
09-25-2003, 06:00 AM
I am the last one to give advice (considering MY problems), but it might have been the combination of Scout being a pest and the fact that these new walls an carpets no longer smell like him (where the old ones would have). AND I know the expense of feliway, but the spray type is our best bet for immediate results. The plug-ins take a while to "work". Spray the stuff right where he peed and do so daily for a month.
If the spraying persists you may need to confine him (like I did) to "retrain".
Since this is the fisrt and only spot perhaps you could place a covered litter box at this place (only temparary) so if he goes back to the same place a box will be there. (and I suggest covered because if he stands to spray it will hit the back of the box and not the wall).
Good luck, I know the frustration you are feeling.

Catsnclay
09-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Well, the good news is, you did nothing wrong. Cats are creatures of habit, and they HATE changes. Talking from experience, yes, I too have a "pee-boy" and over the past 2 years have been redecorating my house, with his help :rolleyes: :eek: Some cats are just more stressed when things change. I have found that the Feliway plug-ins work well, but if you know you are going to do things (paint, carpet, etc) plug it in a week before you start. Also give lots of attention to the culprit, they are stressing now and need comfort. Another thing my Vet recommended, take something with their scent on it, their blanket, bed, etc, and rub it all over the new thing. That way there scent is already there and it should cut down on the need to "mark" it. Oh, and unfortunetly, this will occur again :( :o sorry......

wolflady
09-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
Well, the good news is, you did nothing wrong. Cats are creatures of habit, and they HATE changes. Talking from experience, yes, I too have a "pee-boy" and over the past 2 years have been redecorating my house, with his help :rolleyes: :eek: Some cats are just more stressed when things change. I have found that the Feliway plug-ins work well, but if you know you are going to do things (paint, carpet, etc) plug it in a week before you start. Also give lots of attention to the culprit, they are stressing now and need comfort. Another thing my Vet recommended, take something with their scent on it, their blanket, bed, etc, and rub it all over the new thing. That way there scent is already there and it should cut down on the need to "mark" it. Oh, and unfortunetly, this will occur again :( :o sorry......

This is good advice and right on the mark. The reason why Ripley is spraying is because of change. He may even have some vomiting and diarrhea. Some cats just detest change, so with new carpet, paint and cat...there have been a lot of changes! Give him extra love and making the new carpet and paint smell like him will help too. Like catsnclay mentioned, rubbing a toy, blanket, or towel that smells like him on the new carpet/walls may help him feel comforted. The feliway should help calm him too. As far as the other cat is concerned, give your first cat more attention and love during the transition period. Whenever the other cat is around, praise Ripley and give him a treat, so he associates good things with the other cat. In the meantime, get yourself some good enzymatic cleaner! :eek:
Good luck! :D
**hugs**

jazzcat
09-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. We went through today with no new sprays. All cats seem really interested in the Feliway plug in. A couple of times I saw Ripley checking out that area I picked him up and carried him to his litter box and he would immediately pee. It seems like this is helping.

I will try rubbing something of his around to see if that helps and I'll get the Feliway spray too. I've cleaned the spot extremely well with Natures Miracle and I can no longer smell the urine but I'm going to treat it again to make extra sure.

I will also keep in mind to use the plug in before I make any kind of new changes.

If I have to resort to retraining him I will be needing more advice from Jen.

Thanks again.