PDA

View Full Version : Gecko part 2!!!!!

IluvMyBeagle
09-24-2003, 07:40 PM
hey my dad said yes!!!!!!!!!! Sorry but I can't put pics on the computer because I don't have a digital camera

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Ummm okay, well are you sure you know EVERYTHING about them? Considering it was only a matter of a day or two between now and when you were thinking about getting one... I don't know...

IluvMyBeagle
09-25-2003, 06:57 PM
what do you mean?? i want one and I have a book on it and everything!! :)

tikeyas_mom
09-25-2003, 07:43 PM
somtuimes books arnt very accuret, I have read alot of books on hamsters and some are totally stupid with all the wrong info...

I would look up info and study for a couple months befor jumping into anything. geckos can be VERY expensive, do you have a reptile vet near by?? do you know everything about geckos, do they live alone or in pairs??

you just have to be sure that you know what you are doing

IluvMyBeagle
09-28-2003, 09:18 AM
I know I am looking on the web and everything but thanks for the heads up!!!! Yes I know they are exspenisive but they are really cute and everything...... And I really want one :) Yes there is a reptile vet about 5 minutes away. Talk to ya later bye bye

IluvMyBeagle
09-28-2003, 09:24 AM
But it is not like I am getting a dog I am just getting a gecko..... yes I do go on the web and read a book on them but I don't need to read like 10 books on them :D not to be mean but I am just saying..............

cloverfdx
09-28-2003, 09:58 AM
But it is not like I am getting a dog I am just getting a gecko.....

:eek: a geko is still a living creature that needs care and love..and you are JUST getting a gecko.

maybe keep learning about the needs of gecko's before rushing into it, it will be better for the lil critter in the long run *nods*

wolfsoul
09-28-2003, 12:32 PM
I agree with the book statement. I have read books about rats only to shake my head in disbelief. You need to research the internet.

Reptiles can be very hard to care for. They usually need the perfect temperature in their environment. Their food can also be quite expensive. Crickets might be about $2.00 for about 12 of them. Crickets should also probably be the staple diet, so you'll probably want to buy quite alot of them. It can definatly add up. Where I am, mealworms cost $8.00 for a small can. I've read that pinkies (baby mice) should sometimes be given as a supplement, and that vitamin supplements are necessary, although I don't know that part for sure.

You also can't be a very squeemish person. You might have to deal with a case where your gecko's tail falls off. You also have to pull the legs off the crickets so that they won't bite your gecko and cause infection.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into. You may say "it's not like I'm getting a dog" but in ways reptiles can be alot more difficult to care for than a dog. A dog, atleast, requires more common sense.

primabella
09-28-2003, 12:52 PM
I really wanted a gecko but when I found out you would need to feed them grasshoppers, I backed down. lol.

Funny story about tails flaling off. My friend said he was in Florida and he picked up a lizard that was following him around. He had it by its tail and was just looking at it. Suddenly the tail fell off. lol. He said the lizard just ran off but it's funny if you think about it. You're just there holding a lizards tail. :p

But it is not like I am getting a dog I am just getting a gecko.....
A gecko, a dog, a cat, a horse, a turtle, a fish - they are all a responsibility. Maybe some require more care but they are all depending on you. I hope you know your stuff, don't just rely on a few books. :)

IluvMyBeagle
09-28-2003, 05:06 PM
LoL that is funny!!!:D Anways Thanks for the info Everyone..... How is your guys day?