PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on groceries each week?

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
We just spent $256 dollars on food the other day, and once it was put away it looked like we hadn't bought anything lol. We go through about 6 gallons of milk a week, three of those being Dylans whole milk. How long does your food usually last after you buy it? Maybe we just eat a lot or something but it seems like we need to go shopping every week just to sustain Dylans hunger. I swear, my son can eat a whole fridge worth of food in a week! :eek:

Logan
09-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Too much!!! And we eat out a lot too!!! :eek:

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
I love grocery shopping! :D

What I love the most is buying herbs and spices so I can create new concoctions (sp?) for marinades and stuff. And of course, half of the time shopping is spent trying to find new things the rats would like to eat. :o

tomkatzid
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
not much, tom takes a dinner to work and i eat at work. so we only eat at home 2 nights a wk. no breakfast and no lunch just dinner. no milk. just sodas and of course POPCORN.

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by tomkatzid
not much, tom takes a dinner to work and i eat at work. so we only eat at home 2 nights a wk. no breakfast and no lunch just dinner. no milk. just sodas and of course POPCORN.

Only dinner? :eek: How do you survive lol? I eat all day long. Thank goodness I have a high metabolism or I would be in some major trouble already. Well, we eat very healthy so I wouldn't be in that much trouble, but still. I love food! :D

Dan loves popcorn too. :p

Tina
09-24-2003, 02:37 PM
We buy groceries to last two weeks. Since Rob gets paided bi-weekly. We spend about $150 bi-weekly. But it seems like it doesn't last no time. We usually have to go back to the store and get some things.

I don't mind shopping to bad. It just seems like when I get home and put it away. It looks like I haven't bought anything.

Cataholic
09-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I have never kept track of my groceries, and can go weeks without buying anything. For instance, I have been out of milk since Sunday. So, I 'need' to go, and then I will buy some fruit/veggies, too.

And, I MUST remember to buy some non-spearmint dental floss. Allie can't stand the taste of spearmint! Since she sits on my lap every morning to floss her teeth while I floss mine, this has been a very upsetting time for her! She insists I buy some normal kind, and stop using the freebies from the dentist!

Kfamr
09-24-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure how much my parents spend, The don't go shopping each week.

I only eat dinner as well, and maybe a snack in school every other day.

I *HATE* going shopping for anything other than things for the dogs.

Uabassoon
09-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Wow I feel pretty cheap now, I spend about $30 on groceries. But sometimes if I have extra money I'll spend $50 and my kitchen seems so full. Usually all I need for the week is soda, cheese, bread and of course Ramen and then a treat like yummy ice cream :)

wolfsoul
09-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
And of course, half of the time shopping is spent trying to find new things the rats would like to eat. :o
Which is why my mom never takes me shopping. :o I spend the whole time saying "The rats would love this!" And I always pick out the expensive cereal. So she doesn't usually take me lol.\

Usually we spend about 200 dollars, and you're right, it looks like absolutly nothing.

PJ's Mom
09-24-2003, 04:26 PM
To feed all 6 of us, I usually spend somewhere around $350 per week. I guess that's what happens when you have 4 teenagers. :p

slick
09-24-2003, 04:35 PM
I spend about $12.00 per week on fresh fruit and vegies alone. Once every 6 weeks I go to the SuperStore and spend about $150-$175 and that covers all food and t.p., shampoo, etc. I make alot of casseroles and soups to freeze them for lunches and I never eat out if I can help it.

Forgot, that doesn't count the 3 4-litre jugs of milk I go through in a week.

micki76
09-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Laura, that’s not far off from ours. We usually spend about $75.00 per week for the two of us. We don’t eat out very often, maybe a total of 5 times per week total (that’s 5 total; 2 together and Michael may eat out 1-3 times depending on his schedule) and that’s usually cheap fast food when we’re in a hurry.

Cataholic
09-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by slick

Forgot, that doesn't count the 3 4-litre jugs of milk I go through in a week.

What are you, part cow? LOL

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Usually all I need for the week is soda, cheese, bread and of course Ramen

;)

For a Ramen Recipe book, with over 500 tasty Top Ramen recipes, send $450.00 (cash only-no stamps)
To Richard c/o Pet Talk.

You'll receive 500 kitchen tested recipes! That's less than one dollar each!!!!!

Order now and you'll get 100 Ways to Make Kool-Aid, FREE!....

----------------------------------

What I do is play a game with my list/budget.

I make a list and guesstimate what each item costs.....i round the prices UP.....
example,
a loaf of bread? 2.00....if i spend 1.69
the 31 cents goes into a small change bank for ??????

p.s. COUPONS!!

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

Dylan could drink a whole gallon in one day if you let him, and I'm NOT joking! :eek:

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
To feed all 6 of us, I usually spend somewhere around $350 per week. I guess that's what happens when you have 4 teenagers. :p

EEEP! Are they all male? Men sure eat a lot!!!

Dan called me on his lunch break just to let me know that if I wanted to cook the chicken (how's that for a hint lol) that I need to start marinating it at 9 this morning. And then he goes, "But if you don't want to cook it that's fine". Talk about a guilt trip lol! The message just made me laugh so hard. :p

I guess not all male since your daughters on here, duh Cass! :rolleyes:

slick
09-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I think so. Skim milk to me is like an addiction and it has been all my life. Sometimes I get up twice in the night for a big tall cold glass of milk.

MOOOOOOO MMMMMILK DOES THE BODY GOOD!!

Richard: 500 recipes for Ramen :D :D You crack me up, oops, I mean you kill me, ooops I mean you make me ROFLMAO. Have you ever tried it with a hard-boiled egg?? It gives it egggstra flavour.:D :D $450.00 enclosed. Please sign the book and send in plain brown wrapper.

PJ's Mom
09-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
EEEP! Are they all male? Men sure eat a lot!!!

Nope. Only two of us are male. :D

Cookiebaker
09-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Too much!

Grocery prices have skyrocketed around here. 3-4 years ago, I budget $35 a week on groceries, and stuck with it. Now the average is around $75 and that's not buying anything fancy. Fruits and veggies (we eat ALOT of those) are so expensive!! I'll spend $30-$40 just on produce each week.

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Fruits and veggies (we eat ALOT of those) are so expensive!! I'll spend $30-$40 just on produce each week.

I hear ya on that one! Veggies are so expensive. I love veggies but can't always buy the ones I want (if I had it my way I would eat brocolli every day :D) and they don't last as long as they used to as well. Avocados are so expensive which sucks, because that is one of my favorite things to eat!

Tonight I was going to cook chicken but I think I will let it marinade a little longer........we opted for pizza tonight. :D

carole
09-24-2003, 08:47 PM
On average around $250 per week, that feeds four of us and two kitties, 3 who are adults and one 11yr old.,two of which are men.

I shop at the cheapest supermarket in town called PAK N SAVE, where you have to pack your own groceries, thats why they are cheaper, and yes that does include some nice luxuries.:D

I think thats around $125 american is that right? can never remember the exchange rate and how it all works!:confused:

Tonya
09-24-2003, 09:49 PM
We spend about $650 a month. That feeds Mike, our 6 year old son Jaden, 3 dogs, and 3 cats. Also, Mike's single friends and my little brother come over often to eat. I'm sure we could cut the bill back alot, we eat alot of expensive meats and stuff. I just don't like skimping when it comes to food. That's my favorite pastime. :p

NoahsMommy
09-24-2003, 10:05 PM
It really depends where I shop. :)

I am suposed to shop at natural stores for my crohn's and believe it or not, its actually CHEAPER!! I'm amazed...but we can't get all of our toiletries there, so I guess it might not be as cheap as I think.

If I shop at Trader Joe's, I'll spend from $80-$100 a week.

If I shop at Albertson's, I'll spend at least $150 a week.

Cat food and supplies is a whole different story... :rolleyes: I don't EVEN want to add that bill up monthly!!! :eek: