PDA

View Full Version : Coffee- how, when and why?

Cataholic
09-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Now, despite being known for my brilliance normally, I can't say this thred was my idea...Zippycat deserves the credit...but, we were talking Coffee, a subject near and dear to both our hearts, and wanted to see what everyone was drinking-COFFEE WISE.

I will start...I like my coffee strong, and usually buy whole bean Starbucks, in various roasts. I grind it, and put it into a drip. I do love using the french press..but, it gets kinda time involved, and a bit messy at work. The crema (the stuff that sits on top), is sooooo great with the french press style). I also love esspresso based drinks.....and still put cream in it!

Then, I 'ruin' it by putting in fat free half and half, and a little artifical sweetner.

Nomilynn
09-24-2003, 12:02 PM
mmmmmm... coffee!!!!!

I like mine fairly mild. I don't like starbucks coffee unless I dilute it with about 1/3 water! :o I like it REALLY fine grind, and I buy beans and grind it myself.

Then I add a LOT of Equal.. no, not sweet and low, HAS to be Equal, and cream. Not milk. hehe :)

Sometimes I will put in some chocolate milk, too, just for flavour. I don't usually buy flavoured coffees though, but I think Sippy has convinced me to try mocha java! :)

And another question - for me, coffee is strictly a morning drink. If I'm going to drink coffee I have made myself, it's over breakfast. Sometimes I will buy a coffee if I'm out with friends, but usually I go with hot chocolate or Earl Grey. Does time of day affect when you want to drink coffee?

slick
09-24-2003, 12:03 PM
I have not had a cup of coffee for at least 20 yrs. Never liked the taste and it certainly never agreed with my intestines. I stick to water and milk.

But mention the work Frap and I there in a hurry.

Cataholic
09-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn

And another question - for me, coffee is strictly a morning drink. If I'm going to drink coffee I have made myself, it's over breakfast. Sometimes I will buy a coffee if I'm out with friends, but usually I go with hot chocolate or Earl Grey. Does time of day affect when you want to drink coffee?

I usually drink coffee mostly in the am...but, for instance, I am going out to dinner with some friends on Sunday. So, when they go get their ice cream, I will get a flavored drink instead...maybe decaf, maybe not. To me, coffee is just soooo comforting. I guess that is why I call it an addiction?

zippy-kat
09-24-2003, 12:30 PM
I am a starbucks junkie. Mocha expresso or caffe mocha or mocha latte, please!!

If I'm going "plain," the breakfast blend is just as fantastic. Sometimes I perk this up with a spoonful of Godiva Hot Cocoa Mix. Can you tell I'm big on choc. flavored coffee? lol (One of the best I've tried is a Tiramisu flavor --wasn't made by starbucks tho--I guess they quit selling/making it now though, can't find it anywhere.)

Gimme coffee anytime, anywhere so long as it Starbucks and so long as it isn't vanilla. :D

~~~~~
Nomilynn--
I think it's interesting that you water your coffee down! The mocha java that you sent me was a bit weak when I made it following the canister's directions. Wonder if it's a "Canadian vs. American" thing?
It is some good stuff, though! (And it's so weird to see instructions in English and French -- here's it usually English and Spanish.)

micki76
09-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Acckkk! Can’t stand the stuff! :eek:

TheAntiPam
09-24-2003, 12:44 PM
The only time I drink coffee is with a breakfast-type meal at a restaurant. I use creamer and a bit of sweetener.

I have to admit, I've been known to drink an iced coffee at Starbucks, but only if someone else is buying! ;)

RubyMutt
09-24-2003, 01:44 PM
I drink espresso drinks more than I do plain coffee.

My favorite is a single-shot 16oz non-fat mocha

when I do drink coffee I usually just put some raspberry flavored creamer in it :)

I'll drink it anytime, anywhere! But ALWAYS in the morning :o

Cataholic
09-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by TheAntiPam

I have to admit, I've been known to drink an iced coffee at Starbucks, but only if someone else is buying! ;)

HE he he ....as I am sipping on a 'free' mocha right now! I LOVE my baristo!

Kfamr
09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
No way, Never, and because it's gross. :p

Logan
09-24-2003, 02:09 PM
At 41, I figure if I were ever going to get a craving for coffee, I would have done it by now! :) I don't drink coffee, although both of my parents do. My sister and brother don't drink it either. Go figure! But my husband does, and I LOVE the smell of it brewing, and he makes it so strong that I swear the spoon could stand up in the cup! :D

I can always drink hot tea or a diet coke over "coffee" with any of you, though, and I'd enjoy that very much!!! :)

lovemyshiba
09-24-2003, 02:31 PM
mmmmm... coffee!!!

I switched to decaf a few years ago, because I was a nervous wreck all the time, but I still love to drink it!!!

Starbucks breakfast blend is what I keep at home, with a lot of sugar--has to be sugar--and vanilla cream. I splurge on the occasional mocha too--probably 2-3 times a week, but not at Starbucks--the one here is horrible.

Tina
09-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I don't like coffee ewww and I got lucky Rob doesn't like it either.

My dad he is addicted to coffee *LOL* he can drink it morning,afternoon,evenings and night.

2kitties
09-24-2003, 02:48 PM
I can barely function to get dressed for work in the mornings. Must make my Starbucks stop before seeing anyone so they don't find out I'm really a crazy witchy lady with a caffeine dependency!!!
grande strong coffee, soymilk and equal.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Logan
But my husband does, and I LOVE the smell of it brewing, and he makes it so strong that I swear the spoon could stand up in the cup! :D

Logan, does your hubby know Terry? ;) :D He's the same way. :D:D

I don't drink much coffee at all, but Terry has to have his in the morning. My mom drinks it too, so I grew up with the smell of coffee and I, too, love the smell of it brewing. :D

Actually I never used to touch the stuff, until Starbucks came on the scene. Then all I'd ever have is a Cafe' Mocha Grande with an extra shot for good measure. But for me, coffee has to be hot and sweet or forget it. Cold coffee....eeewww....

A few years back we got one of those promotional things from Gevalia where they just ship it to you whenever you want it - every 4 weeks or 5 weeks or 6 weeks or however often you want it. It's not much more expensive than premium coffee (like Starbucks) at the grocery story and I never have to worry about buying it. We switched Terry to decaf a few years ago too, because he was just nervous and cranky all the time from the caffeine.

The only time I'll drink it is if we come across a coffee shop somewhere - and we actually prefer any coffee shop except Starbucks - or on the weekends. For some reason on the weekends I have to have a cup in the morning before I get in the shower. Lots and lots of the powdered creamer with two packets of sweet-n-low per cup please. :D

Oh, and Terry prefers Hazelnut or the Stockholm roast which is a little darker blend than Gevalia's normal roast. I prefer the Hazelnut, but the Stockholm is pretty good too. :D

PJ's Mom
09-24-2003, 04:14 PM
I love coffee...especially flavored coffees. Unfortunately though, i can't find a good low-calorie/calorie free creamer to put in it so I don't drink it anymore. :(

babolaypo65
09-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Large double shot non-fat vanilla latte. Either made by me, or a good coffee shop. Starbucks always works because you always know what you're getting. Theres a great place across the street from work which is good for days I can't make my own.

the BEST latte in town is on the other side of town unfortunately.

I drink one latte a day. And sometimes have an iced tea mid day. No sodas for me (i was a hard core addict, gave it up cold turkey 4 years ago).

Pam
09-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Can't function in the morning without mine! Hubby gets the pot ready the night before and sets the timer so the aroma is wafting up the stairs right around when the alarm clock goes off. During the week we usually just use Folgers Gourmet Supreme (already ground). On the weekends we grind the beans and I prefer Green Mountain Coffee, and love their Lake and Lodge variety. I actually prefer it to Starbucks and it is a wee bit cheaper. I used to use 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee, but in my never-ending attempt to cut out excess fat in my diet have switched to regular milk. Oh and I can't handle it without sugar and milk! The hubby drinks it black. BAH! I also loved iced coffee!

CamCamPup33
09-24-2003, 05:25 PM
MMM!! lattes!! YUMMY!!! i have suddenly been addicted to lattes.. lol im like to my mom i go i think im gonna grow up to be on of those girls who says: my nails are breaking, i havent had my latte, my louis vuitton is getting wet and my 160$ dollars shoes are getting dirty! :eek: SOMEONE SHOOT ME IF I ACT LIKE THAT! lol!! no but really mmmm lattes and those black and white soft cookie..... oh gosh! mmmmmmm

tatsxxx11
09-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Oh Cam!! You remind me of sooooooooo many of my "Jersey" girlfriends! I'm assuming of course, that your Louis Vuitton is not a knowck off! lol! Cam, drop by my place any day for a cuppa and a "black and white!":D

Coffee........Ahhh! Anytime, anywhere, any way!!! (Exept with sugar!) I have a maker that has a built in grinder. At night I put in the beans, (preferably Kenya AAA) set the timer and dream blissfully of being awakened by the whirrrrrr of the grinder and the smell of fresh coffee being brewed! I also love espresso/espresso drinks and treated myself to a great espresso machine a couple of years ago. That gets dragged out at night after dinner and when I crave a cappa in the afternoon. Coffee is one of my few addictions...along with Pet Talk!:)

CamCamPup33
09-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Oh Cam!! You remind me of sooooooooo many of my "Jersey" girlfriends! I'm assuming of course, that your Louis Vuitton is not a knowck off! lol! Cam, drop by my place any day for a cuppa and a "black and white!":D

Coffee........Ahhh! Anytime, anywhere, any way!!! (Exept with sugar!) I have a maker that has a built in grinder. At night I put in the beans, (preferably Kenya AAA) set the timer and dream blissfully of being awakened by the whirrrrrr of the grinder and the smell of fresh coffee being brewed! I also love espresso/espresso drinks and treated myself to a great espresso machine a couple of years ago. That gets dragged out at night after dinner and when I crave a cappa in the afternoon. Coffee is one of my few addictions...along with Pet Talk!:)

mmmm.. OR you can come to the florida pettalk meeting and i will have a WHOLE bunch there for you!! :p its so strange that i have never seen my daughter.. Isnt it daughter? LOL :D

tatsxxx11
09-24-2003, 06:11 PM
Don't I just love my Mom, even if I can't remember what she looks like...it's been SO long!:D Now, just send me the airfare and I'll be there on the beach with bells on! Of course, I MUST get a few trips to the tanning salon in before I leave!;) Seriously, I'd love to be there!! My Dad lives in Bal Harbor. Not sure how close that is to you guys but I definitely will look you all up next time I can get down there!

CamCamPup33
09-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Don't I just love my Mom, even if I can't remember what she looks like...it's been SO long!:D Now, just send me the airfare and I'll be there on the beach with bells on! Of course, I MUST get a few trips to the tanning salon in before I leave!;) Seriously, I'd love to be there!! My Dad lives in Bal Harbor. Not sure how close that is to you guys but I definitely will look you all up next time I can get down there!

I know! and me i cant remeber my daughter.. I havent seen you since............ hmm.... you were 2.. yes.. thats it you were... 2. LOL!! aww come!! kayann lives in Palm harbor.. Bal harbor... Palm harbor... SEE THE RESEMBLENCE?!?! aww go and visit your dad so that way on the way down you can just swing down to the meeting with Cody and and and Star and.... Mr B and Oliver, Squeeker and Moonbeam!! ALL OF THEM!!

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Make sure the tank on your coffee maker is cleaned out!!!!!

I drink a cup or two every few months-I wouldn't know a good cup of coffee if it was spilled on my head....

So Cal has very HARD water......A lot of calcium and other stuff that cakes up inside the machine....the heating element inside attracts most of the crud.

I cleaned out the office coffee maker and took out about a cup of sediment from the machine...it was a huge industrial sized Bunn-o-Matic.

The coffee tasted like coffee again!!!

It also helps the water heat faster!!

Kfamr
09-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Sure it "Bal Harbor" Sandra? It doesn;t come up on yahoo maps. :(

Wait, I checked again and "Bal Habour" is far away from Palm Harbor. :(

auggie
09-24-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm so addicted to coffee.
How? Black!
When? Anytime!
Why? Can't wake up without it. Love the taste and smell.
Also love coffee ice cream, cappuccino yoghurt and mocha brownies.

tatsxxx11
09-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Oh boogers, KayAnn!:( I know it's in the Miami area...I thought you all were closer!:( No problem!! I can rent wheels!:D

CamCamPup33
09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Oh boogers, KayAnn!:( I know it's in the Miami area...I thought you all were closer!:( No problem!! I can rent wheels!:D

NO PROBLEMS!! I LIVE NEAR MIAMI!! muahahahwhah finally ro see my long lost daughter!! oh gosh! --tissue please--

tatsxxx11
09-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Oh Auggie, you're making me hungry!!! MOCHA BROWNIES!!:D

Cam, I think Oprah should be ther do one of her long lost family reunion shows!!:D KayAnn, no where is too far away to meet you and the "kids!":) How'ya feeling today, by the way???:confused:

CamCamPup33
09-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Oh Auggie, you're making me hungry!!! MOCHA BROWNIES!!:D

Cam, I think Oprah should be ther do one of her long lost family reunion shows!!:D KayAnn, no where is too far away to meet you and the "kids!":) How'ya feeling today, by the way???:confused:

calls 1-800-oprah.. --yes hi oprah?-- LOL COME!!!! :D

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65

I drink one latte a day.

please make up your mind????

either it's 'ONE' or a 'LATTE'!!

Sheesh!

;)

dukedogsmom
09-24-2003, 07:49 PM
I like my coffee in the morning and we don't have any of the fancy coffee places in my town so we have to brew it ourselves. But, I like mine in between really strong and strong with cream and REAL sugar! That's one thing I won't scrimp on.

babolaypo65
09-24-2003, 08:01 PM
This reminded me... in my old job I had to travel with my boss, and a few other people. Most of the time it was to small towns (like Ruidoso, Zip)... anyway, they were all trained! When we drove into town everyone would look down side streets while heading to the hotel. Because they knew first thing the next morning we HAD to find me a decent latte or at least a good cup of coffee.

After working with them for a few years they would even pick hotels nearer to the coffee places, or ask ahead of time where they were. MAN am i spoiled!

tikeyas_mom
09-24-2003, 08:05 PM
I always rely on my tim hortons coffee.. lol French Vinilla, LARGE and frothy ;)

I usually drink normal coffee two cream and half a sugar in the mornings and bring it to school in my fancy start bucks mug ;););):p...

Cookiebaker
09-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Pam
. On the weekends we grind the beans and I prefer Green Mountain Coffee, and love their Lake and Lodge variety.

Green Mountain is my *favorite*!!! I love coffee, and don't have a good day if my day doesn't start off with a large mug! I drink it with 1/2&1/2 only and like it fairly strong. I like different varieties, but Breakfast Blend is my favorite.

Mmmmm Now I'm craving a mug! :)

babolaypo65
09-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Tims! I love Tim hortons coffee!

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I always rely on my tim hortons coffee.. lol French Vinilla, LARGE and frothy ;)

I usually drink normal coffee two cream and half a sugar in the mornings and bring it to school in my fancy start bucks mug ;););):p...

carole
09-24-2003, 09:12 PM
I am an official tea lady myself, but hubby drinks coffee, Italian, even though I don't like the taste I almost get high on the smell, mmh can just smell that lovely aroma now.:) :D

K9karen
09-25-2003, 12:08 AM
I drink at least 4 cups of high octane before 11am.cream and sweet and low, then after dinner about the same and never have a problem sleeping. Dunkin Donuts is the BEST! I hate flavored coffee, but like Sandra (I'll be over tomorrow) I love Kenyan AAA, Kona and the South American special blends. I'm jealous, Sand..I have to wait at least 15 minutes for my coffee to be ready! :( My dad made the best coffee..he put a pinch of salt in the grinds to kill the acid. He learned that in the army. The best part of my morning coffee is sitting on the back porch with Logan (and Cody) and just relaxing for a spell.

shais_mom
09-25-2003, 12:26 AM
I am not a big coffee fan, can't stand it straight, but that is the way my dad drinks it. My dad is the coffee drinker and my mom is a tea drinker or hot chocolate. I prefer the flavored coffees or capaccinoes and when its cold out. Like getting to be this time of the year. No Starbucks here. Just Gas stations with the instant machines!!!
We have a Speedway in Findlay on the other side of the dog park that has a great Capaccinoe machine and gourmet coffees. If its cold out, I go out of my way about 15 min just to get a Jumbo to have at the doggie park!!!

gini
09-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Ever since I started drinking Starbucks (or Seattle's Best) I have been spoiled. Regular coffee such as Folger's or Yuban or that type of brand just doesn't cut it.

I have the coffee pot on a timer - so it is ready first thing when I wake up.

I like to use a big mug - put the milk or cream into the cup first - and then put in the coffee - ummm, yum. About two of those get the day rolling quite nicely. No sugar - I have never liked sweet coffee.

I can usually tell if it is good coffee at a restaurant by the color after you add the cream. If you have to add to much cream or milk - and it still looks muddy - you are in for a bitter taste with too much milk.

I rarely ever have coffee the rest of the day unless I am out for dinner - and even then can do without it, or it doesn't appeal to me in the evening.

Karen, a pinch of salt, I have never heard of that. I will have to try it.

wolflady
09-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Yum! Coffee! Add me to the "coffa-holic" list! :D I usually like to have coffee first thing in the am. Occasionally, an evening cuppa is nice, but only if it is decaffinated. I love Starbucks, and especially like the holiday flavors. Anyone else like the gingerbread latte? It tastes like a mouthful of cookies! Yum!

At home, I like to grind my own coffee, and my absolute favorite is Ghirardelli Chocolate Raspberry. It's hard to find, but I stock up when I do find it! Otherwise, I just get what's on sale, usually Creamy Hazelnut or Irish Cream. I like half and half, but skim milk will do. I also use sugar or splenda, 3 please! :D

wolf_Q
09-25-2003, 12:35 AM
Ewwwww :o I HATE coffee....I hate the smell, the taste makes me gag.....ick.

I will admit to being a tad addicted to Stevens Hot Chocolate with vanilla creamer in it in the winter though.

I can't stand to drink hot drinks other than in the winter. It's just not right! :p

anna_66
09-25-2003, 09:20 AM
I usually only drink coffee when it starts getting chilly out. I'll have a cup when I first get to work to warm me up, but it has to be with a yummy creamer (toasted almond or kahlua are the best!). I don't like the coffee I make, I like the coffee at my work.

Cataholic
09-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Wow, I am really learning ALOT! I am trying the salt thing tomorrow.

Tatsxxx- where did you find an automatic grinder/coffee maker? That sounds about perfect for me. I am holding out, waiting for a great sale on a combo coffee/esspresso maker.

Randi
09-25-2003, 09:43 AM
I have one good cup of coffee a day, in the afternoon - unless I'm out for dinner. :D

I usually drink Arabica, but I LOVE the Kenya sort. I have mine with 2 small sugars and whipped warm milk. On occasion, I pour a drop of Grand Marnier in. Yummy! :)

zippy-kat
09-25-2003, 09:53 AM
How could I forget?

One of my favorite things to do is add a carmel to the cup; it melts and makes it yummier. (And mocha coffee turns into turtle fudge brownie coffee! :D )

Kona & Oreo's mom
09-25-2003, 10:04 AM
I love coffee in the mornings. When I brew my own, I prefer the Sumatra or Kenya type of beans. But I have to admit that I visit Starbucks an awful lot!

In the summer, I'll have Starbucks iced coffee with half-n-half--they brew the iced coffee double-strength and chill it over night so the ice doesn't melt and water it down. Yum! Around the holidays, I love an egg-nog latte (espresso with steamed egg nog). It's perfect for Christmas!

PJ's Mom
09-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
One of my favorite things to do is add a carmel to the cup; it melts and makes it yummier. (And mocha coffee turns into turtle fudge brownie coffee! :D )

*drools*

:D

RICHARD
09-25-2003, 11:29 AM
"You should try decaf....."

Arnold Schwarzenegger to Arianna Huffington
during the 'Great Debate'.

lolololol

wolflady
09-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
How could I forget?

Yum! This sounds fabulous! I'm going to have to try it. What sort of carmel do you add?

Have you had the mint chocolate brownie frapuccino at Starbucks! Tastes like chocolate mint ice cream! It's fabulous.
In a pinch, I will put a red and white mint at the bottom of a cup of hot chocolate or mocha for the added minty flavor! Yum!

gini
09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Don't you wonder what he really would have liked to say to Arianna?

$38 BILLLLIIIIIOOOON in debt and they are talking coffee.

(this is the coffee thread isn't it?)

Originally posted by RICHARD
"You should try decaf....."

Arnold Schwarzenegger to Arianna Huffington
during the 'Great Debate'.

lolololol

RICHARD
09-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by gini
Don't you wonder what he really would have liked to say to Arianna?

$38 BILLLLIIIIIOOOON in debt and they are talking coffee.

(this is the coffee thread isn't it?)

it is the coffee thread, but i found it to be apropo.......somehow......... :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

zippy-kat
09-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Yum! This sounds fabulous! I'm going to have to try it. What sort of carmel do you add?

Have you had the mint chocolate brownie frapuccino at Starbucks! Tastes like chocolate mint ice cream! It's fabulous.
In a pink, I will put a red and white mint at the bottom of a cup of hot chocolate or mocha for the added minty flavor! Yum!

the brock's carmel square thingie-ma-bobs.

I LOOOOVE peppermint. You know what's good? It sounds terrible but it's pretty darn good... suck on a peppermint disk while you drink your coke.

I'll have to try that frap!

wolflady
09-25-2003, 02:05 PM
LOL Next time I go shopping, I'll be sure to pick up some of those Brocks caramel thingies! Yum!

I'll have to try the mint and coke thing too. I love mint everything! Yes, try the frap! You're gonna love it! ;)

anna_66
09-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Here Johanna, this is for you:D
http://www.niteshareforums.com/blink/cneedcoffee.gif

Vio&Juni
09-26-2003, 06:03 AM
I like a cup of Vergnano from time to time - black or with some milk, and sugar.

Actually, I am a tea-holic :) Last night I had no tea in the house and I was almost crazy :D

RICHARD
09-26-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm rich, I'm rich!!!!

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/RetirementandWills/P60708.asp

catland
09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
My office building is currently getting recarpeted. Today they are working on the section that <gasp> is in in the path of the coffee maker. I rescued it and it is sitting in my office for the rest of the day.

I have my priorities. I'm also quickly becoming the most popular person here today.:D

wolflady
09-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by catland
My office building is currently getting recarpeted. Today they are working on the section that <gasp> is in in the path of the coffee maker. I rescued it and it is sitting in my office for the rest of the day.

I have my priorities. I'm also quickly becoming the most popular person here today.:D

LOL LOL I can see why! Has there been any interesting coffee talk? LOL ;)

catland
09-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
LOL LOL I can see why? Has there been any interesting coffee talk? LOL ;)

Not really - I think they're coming in to talk to me, but all they want is the coffee.:p

smokey the elder
09-27-2003, 08:35 AM
I grind my own ( BJ's wholesale club actually sells good whole bean. also a&P) My budget occasionally allows REALLY good stuff. I rarely buy coffee at Starbuck's 'cuz of the sticker shock. :D

Mobil has a Green Mtn Blueberry flavor coffee that's actually quite good!