PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Christmas Card Exchange - Anyone Interested?

zippy-kat
09-24-2003, 01:56 AM
Hey guys…I know this is early but be thinking about whether or not you want to participate in the 2003 Christmas Card Exchange. As Pet Talk has grown, I’m afraid there’s going to be a few more “rules” to follow (not all of which have been worked out) but I’ll get to those in a minute. First, a brief introduction for those who don’t know what the heck is going on! ;)

For the past two years, we’ve had an annual Christmas Card Exchange. Participants send their addresses to the collecting parties (this year Nomilynn and myself). A list is then put together and distributed via email to all who signed up. Then, everyone buys cards and sends ‘em out! Tons of fun!!

Now for the sticky part, the rules. Some are carried over from the past two years, others are new. Keep in mind, not all the kinks have been worked out just yet. Also, the following is solely for the snail-mail list. There is an e-card list if you’d like to participate that way, but they have their own rules/dates/etc. Again, this is ONLY for the SNAIL MAIL list.

While sending cards to everyone on the list is not mandatory, it is HIGHLY encouraged. This may seem a silly "rule" but let's face it, it doesn't always happen and it's not very fair!

If, you only plan to send cards to 4 or 5 of your "favorites," then this list probably *isn't* for you; it'd be best you contact those individuals privately, via PM or email.

Money is inevitably a factor. If the previous years are any indication, the majority of participants will be from the US; thus, postage costs are something to consider. You may not be able to send to all participants, however I ask that you contact those parties ahead of time, letting them know the situation. (In this instance, remember that e-cards are just as enjoyable!!)

I know we have lots of younger members. The few that participated last year will be "grandfathered" in, however (and this is the part that's sticky b/c I don't know all the rules and regulations) I believe it's illegal to send mass mailings to persons under 14. (Perhaps Karen/Paul/Johanna can verify this!!) Sooo in some way, shape, or form we're going to need parental verification.

Since many like to send out their cards around Thanksgiving, the *original* list will probably be sent out a week after the US Thanksgiving (November 27). Of course, latecomers are welcome to join--no problem!—but I’d like to have the bulk of the addresses no later than November 25th.

If you want to participate, email/pm the following to Nomilynn or myself:
Pet Talk ID
Name
Address
Email Address (this is for list distribution only)
Pets names and breeds (optional)

Nomilynn
09-24-2003, 02:04 AM
I'm (obviously ;)) interested! In fact, I've already bought special cards for PTers!!! They are SOOOO CUTE!! I can't wait :D

I do have to say, though, that I will NOT be doing the email card list this year. I contracted more than one computer virus from that process last year, and my computer is fragile at best!! :)

But snail mail cards - count me in!! ;)

aly
09-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Count me in for the third time :D

zippy-kat
09-24-2003, 02:36 AM
These are the addresses we have:

<<<See Page 5>>>

tomkatzid
09-24-2003, 02:44 AM
List to date
Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid

Miss Meow
09-24-2003, 03:04 AM
List to date
Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow

I'd love to participate. It was so much fun last year :)

I remember Lut showed us pictures of her cards ...
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19478

09-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Count me in too! I also won't send nor accept any e-mail cards, as the risk for viruses there is just to high!

captain
09-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Me, Me, Me - I missed this last year ............. :D

List to date
Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow
Captain :D

Cincy'sMom
09-24-2003, 05:39 AM
I'll PM the info later, but I'm in :)

anna_66
09-24-2003, 06:21 AM
List to date:

Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow
lut
Captain
Cincy'sMom
anna_66

neko1
09-24-2003, 06:42 AM
I would like to be in as well:)

(i will pm the info later...gotta go to work now)

Karen
09-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
I know we have lots of younger members. The few that participated last year will be "grandfathered" in, however (and this is the part that's sticky b/c I don't know all the rules and regulations) I believe it's illegal to send mass mailings to persons under 14. (Perhaps Karen/Paul/Johanna can verify this!!) Sooo in some way, shape, or form we're going to need parental verification.

Please, if you are underage - for legal purposes, that's under 13, but let's make it 15 and under, if you want to participate in the Christmas Card list, have a parent email me permission for you to participate. No addresses will be posted publicly, but "children" especially should always be cautious about giving out their personal information online. SO again, if you are 15 and under, have a parent email me permission, okay?

P.S. I sent our info in, Zippy-kat! :) Thanks for spear-heading this to both you and Nomilyn!

Edwina's Secretary
09-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Include me please!

SadiesDad
09-24-2003, 08:23 AM
SadiesDad too, and no extra stamps! :D

List to date:

Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow
lut
Captain
Cincy'sMom / SadiesDad
anna_66
neko1
Karen/Paul
Edwina's Secretary

RubyMutt
09-24-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm in! :D

Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow
lut
Captain
Cincy'sMom / SadiesDad
anna_66
neko1
Karen/Paul
Edwina's Secretary
RubyMutt

zippy-kat
09-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Great!! (And thanks for clarifying that, Karen!!)

ramanth
09-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Interested!
:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Yes, me too please. :D

Nomilynn
09-24-2003, 10:09 AM
This is great, everyone! :) Keep those addresses coming in! :)

luckies4me
09-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Count me in AGAIN! I had such a great time last year. :D

I will PM you the info later as I am working on a hedgehog aritcle that needs to be finished soon! :eek:

Cataholic
09-24-2003, 10:26 AM
I am SO in!!!

BastetsMum
09-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Me a zillion times too! :D

slick
09-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Count me in for the snail mail.

zippy-kat
09-24-2003, 11:03 AM
A request....

Will the person(s) running the *Ecard* list make a separate post for those participants? (We've got a bit of confusion here...)

Thanks! :)

catland
09-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Count me in too.:D

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Count me in too.....

Could everyone, when they pm their information include everyone they would like the card addressed to....

like include all the pet's names or spouses etc. That way when we get the list it has all the information we need.:)

Barbara
09-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Count me in! :)

auggie
09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Me too!

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm in.

CathyBogart
09-24-2003, 07:05 PM
And me!

Felicia's Mom
09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
I'm in. I had so much fun last year.

dukedogsmom
09-24-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm interested in snail mail, also. And I copied/pasted this from first page to help a little.
Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow
lut
Captain
Cincy'sMom / SadiesDad
anna_66
neko1
Karen/Paul
Edwina's Secretary
RubyMutt
Dukedogsmom

gini
09-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Me too!

Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Nomilynn
Zippy-kat
tomkatzid
Miss Meow
lut
Captain
Cincy'sMom / SadiesDad
anna_66
neko1
Karen/Paul
Edwina's Secretary
RubyMutt
Dukedogsmom
Gini

Crikit
09-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Count me in Tonya, I'll just have to remember to save some money to get the cards and then send them...that could be hard :D ;)

wolf_Q
09-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Count me in too!! :D

NoahsMommy
09-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Me too, me too!!! I'll be doing this for the third time this year...how fun!!! :D

Tonya, I sent you a PM with all my info. :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2003, 11:33 PM
Count me in too for the snail mail only. :D I had so much fun last year. I can't wait. :)

shais_mom
09-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Me Too!!
Info on the way

Foam
09-24-2003, 11:55 PM
:D Count me in, please!

Kater
09-25-2003, 12:10 AM
After a bit of persuading I've decided sooo... SIGN ME UP! (snail mail version)

Ooooooh, I get so happy just thinking about being hoooooooomeeeeeeee.....:D Hooray for a good ole Hawaiian style NOT white Christmas! ;)

wolflady
09-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Me too, me too! Count me in! I'll get started early this year so all cards are sent out *before* christmas! LOL ;)
:D
**hugs**
Karen

jenfer
09-25-2003, 12:41 AM
count me in too! :D

Cataholic
09-25-2003, 09:19 AM
For those of you still thinking about it...I will tell you, it is so much fun receiving tons of cards, everyday, with warm, thoughtful notes (and cat hair???) from all over the world. It is fantastic.

micki76
09-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Yep, I’m in. I was only a lurker here last year, so I missed that one.

Can’t wait to buy the cards! Some of our stores here already have Christmas stuff out, so I can start looking now, plus I bought some last year for this years exchange!

lovemyshiba
09-25-2003, 09:53 AM
I'm in too!!!!

I can't wait--as soon as I see the cards out in the stores, I'll be buying--I wonder how many I'll have to get???

I'm so excited!!!!

robinh
09-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Man, how did I miss this post? I'm definitely in!

Snail mail only for me. Those viruses are killers - My sister-in-law accidently sent one to me. Luckily I caught it, but it destroyed her computer.

zippy-kat
09-25-2003, 10:28 AM

<<<See Page 5>>>

zippy-kat
09-25-2003, 10:51 AM
This is NOT the e-card list! :) It's "Snail Mail" only.

The only reason I ask you to include your email addy is so that we (Nomilynn and myself) can distribute the list to you. It won't be given to the other members.

(I tried to send the list via PM last time and it didn't work well at all! :( )

delidog
09-25-2003, 04:52 PM
OOps,Just saw this..
Please add me to the list!!!!
Thanks

Fox-Gal
09-25-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm in.

delidog
09-26-2003, 06:29 PM
bump:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Since this is my first year, I've got a question. Do most people buy cards or make them themselves with pics of their critters on them? I was thinking about making one, but if most people buy, guess I'll start looking now. :D

zippy-kat
09-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Since this is my first year, I've got a question. Do most people buy cards or make them themselves with pics of their critters on them? I was thinking about making one, but if most people buy, guess I'll start looking now. :D

We have both!! I'm not sure my poor lil' printer is up to publishing 46+ cards, so I think I'm going to buy. lol

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2003, 09:14 PM
I bought cards and stuck in a Christmas pic of my cats that I had made. :) I'm hoping to make another Christmas pic of my furkids this year too. It's a lot of fun. :)

Miss Meow
09-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
We have both!! I'm not sure my poor lil' printer is up to publishing 46+ cards, so I think I'm going to buy. lol

Same here! I was between jobs this time last year, so then I had plenty of time to print one card every 15 minutes on the geriatric Epson! ;)

shais_mom
09-27-2003, 12:01 AM
I almost always buy store bought cards. Both years I have thought I would get a pic developed into a post card at Walmart or something but then I bought like 5 boxes of card thru Current.

On a side note:

Not to be rude and not directed at anyone in particular. But please take this seriously. Several people spend a lot of money to make their cards so lovely and special, then they don't get the right amount of cards b/c the other person 'forgot' or b/c someone doesn't like them. Even if there is someone you don't like or don't care for and don't plan on sending one to them, then as Zippy said maybe this list isn't for you. Maybe you should just email the person for their address. Even if there are people I don't always see eye to eye with I still sent them the card. And if there is someone I don't know very well, I still sent them one wishing them a happy holiday. B/c it is in the Christmas/Christ's spirit (sorry for anyone who isn't religious) that this is being done.

Nomilynn
09-27-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey Everyone!!

If you have marked yourself down as *interested* but have not sent Tonya or I your info, please do it! We are compiling a list of received addresses now, and some of you who indicated a want to participate are missing!! :( Please don't forget, to participate, you have to send in all your info!!! :D :D

tomkatzid
09-27-2003, 01:37 AM
Just sent it to you:D :D :D

luckies4me
09-27-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom

On a side note:

Not to be rude and not directed at anyone in particular. But please take this seriously. Several people spend a lot of money to make their cards so lovely and special, then they don't get the right amount of cards b/c the other person 'forgot' or b/c someone doesn't like them. Even if there is someone you don't like or don't care for and don't plan on sending one to them, then as Zippy said maybe this list isn't for you. Maybe you should just email the person for their address. Even if there are people I don't always see eye to eye with I still sent them the card. And if there is someone I don't know very well, I still sent them one wishing them a happy holiday. B/c it is in the Christmas/Christ's spirit (sorry for anyone who isn't religious) that this is being done.

Yes that is so true. :( Last year I spent so much time on my cards (they were homemade) and there were at least ten or more people who did not send me one. :( The ones I did recieve though were fantastic!!!! I ran out of cards for two people, but I ended up emailing them the card and they were happy with that. :)

wolf_Q
09-27-2003, 08:53 AM
Ditto shais_mom! I didn't receive nearly all of the cards I sent out last year, and I don't know if it was because of people who "forgot" (pretty hard to forget when you're receiving cards in the mail every other day) or just didn't like me. :( Whatever it was, I hope we don't have that same problem this year...

Felicia's Mom
09-27-2003, 09:30 AM
I just sent Zippy-Cat a pm with my address.

This year I plan on putting a picture of my cats in the cards.

Karen
09-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Because this has started so early, is there some deadline - you have to sign up by November 10 or something?

Barbara
09-27-2003, 09:52 AM
An early deadline would be good for us Europeans!

lbaker
09-27-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm in. Same address for the last two PetTalk Christmas list years but I'll pm Zip for the ease of it (not having to look up last year's list & stuff). It's hard for me to find a picture with ALL my guys in it & I would hate to have feelings hurt by which critter got left out so probably store bought again for me.
Laurie

Nomilynn
09-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Because this has started so early, is there some deadline - you have to sign up by November 10 or something?

The deadline is actually Nov. 25. We want to have the list sent out to everyone by Nov. 27th.

However, we thought we should start early. There is almost ALWAYS someone who says "Oh I never saw this thread!!" :p

That leaves almost a whole month to send out the cards :) I sent mine out last year around Dec. 10th, and had no problems with them arriving on time, no matter where they were sent! :)

zippy-kat
09-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Aly
Ally Cat's Mommy
Andie & Redneck Pit Lover
Anna_66
Auggie
Barbara
Bastet's Mum
Captain
Cataholic
Catland
Cheshirekatt
Cincy'sMom & SadiesDad
Crikit
Delidog
Dukedogsmom
Edwina's Secretary
Felicia's Mom
FloppsyLadySally
Fox-gal
Gini
HaleyRosie
Jenfer
K9Karen
Karen & Paul
Kater
KrazyaboutKatz
LBaker
Lovemyshiba
Luckies4me
Lut
Lynne
Micki
Miss Meow
Neko1
NoahsMommy
Nomilynn & Lirathal
PayItForward & PaysForIt
Pitc9
Ramanth
RedHedd
Richard
robinh
RubyMutt
Sara Luvs Her Tinky
Shais_Mom
TheAntiPam
Tomkatzid
Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Wolf_lady
Wolf_Q
WolfChan
Zippy-kat

PayItForward
09-27-2003, 02:24 PM
I would like to join, I've sent details to Zippy-Kat.

Oh dear christmas is coming around fast. :( and :)

pitc9
09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Please count me in!!!

I'll pm ya right now!!!

Nomilynn
09-28-2003, 11:34 AM
*bump*

09-29-2003, 01:46 AM
To everyone who wiuld love to participate, but has NO idea yet as what to do with the cards, here is what I made last year:

A PETTALK-album!!
In front are aal X-mas crads of PT'ers, then pics of most PT-cats!

09-29-2003, 01:46 AM
another page :

09-29-2003, 01:47 AM
and a nother one:

09-29-2003, 01:48 AM
a special on lady Edwina!

Edwina's Secretary
09-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Oh! Lut, you have made Edwina's day. She is so proud and honored to have her own pages in your photo book.

She says her own momma doesn't have such a nice book of her!

gini
09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Lut, what a great idea. I still have all of my cards from last year, but I never thought about putting them into an album to enjoy.

And Edwina, she has all of us at her feet in adoration!

(Eduardo, are you looking?)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks so much, Lut! Now I've got a better idea of what I need to come up with.

BTW, I saw some really cute cards at Hallmark the other day, although I was hesitant to buy them because I figured being Hallmark, there would be a good chance that somebody else would see them and there would be duplicates. Has this happened? Not that it's a real big deal, but it just made me wonder.

And Jen, I recognize those "branches" on that little cat christmas tree. :D

zippy-kat
09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Ya know, Debbie...interestingly enough, I think I received two cards that were alike the first year (when we had only a handful of participants) and last year, I didn't have any duplicates!! :D

I'm sitting on my fingers to keep from ordering some now... ohhh how I want to order from Currents!!

I LOVE Christmas! :D

Logan
09-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Even if they are alike, Debbie, the messages are different, especially if you include pictures of your own pets in them!!!! Hint, hint...........

I have a special bulletin board, just for the pictures, and I enjoy them all year long! :)

I haven't said yes yet, on this year's exchange, because I never got my cards out last year due to the wedding, move, etc. Even with my best intentions, I didn't make it. But I sure enjoyed all the ones I received.

Logan

Nomilynn
09-30-2003, 01:37 AM
Bump

Aimyloo
09-30-2003, 02:13 AM
I'd Like to do it, too! I will be moving in the next month or so, so will have to get an address to you then :-) I know im a newbie, but it looks like a fun time!:)

HayleyRosie
09-30-2003, 05:52 AM
I'm really looking forward to sending my cards after looking at Lut's album. Now I just have to start trying to get a great picture of Hayley and Mandy to include with my card.

catland
10-07-2003, 01:09 PM
here's a helpful link for people wanting to know the postage from the US to other countries.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.htm

Cheshirekatt
10-07-2003, 01:22 PM
I pm'd Zippy with me info....I'd love to participate! :D

slick
10-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Sorry folks, for financial reasons I can't participate this year. I'm saving up for the next gift exchange. Can't do both. Sorry.

lynnestankard
10-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Here I am late again!! Thanks to Naomi for telling me the thread was up and running - please include me too! I'm already making the cards for this year and saving like mad for the postage!!

Lynne

Karen
10-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Anyone else?

micki76
10-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Glad you brought this back to the top Karen. We must be on the same wave length, because I was thinking about this today. :D

Any idea when can we expect to possibly get an address list Naomi and Tonya? Or at least a list of definite participants? I already have cards and would like to get a jump on them. I have a zillion things to do around the holidays and may be out of town some, so any extra time would be great! :D

delidog
10-30-2003, 04:20 AM
Good Idea...Yes,We need the info

lovemyshiba
10-30-2003, 09:59 AM
I thought that it said earlier in the thread somewhere that they were going to try to have the list ready by Thanksgiving.

I would like it whenever they can have it ready too, I am also very busy around the holidays.

micki76
10-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I thought that it said earlier in the thread somewhere that they were going to try to have the list ready by Thanksgiving.

Yeah, I saw that, too. :) I was just thinking that we've got a lot more people on the list this year and I was just going to push for a little extra time to get it all done. ;)

Tonya and Naomi - I'd be more than happy to help with the list in anyway possible. Just let me know if I can do anything. :)

Barbara
10-30-2003, 10:20 AM
For us foreigners it would also be good if we could get the list earlier:)

Thanks to anyone involved in the work:)

zippy-kat
10-30-2003, 01:09 PM
G'afternoon all,

I'm severely behind in school & termpapers and have been struggling to keep my head above water these past few days.

Let's make "cut off" day today (late entries are always welcome). I'll work on formatting the list tonight and hopefully email it off to you tomorrow.

Question... can MAC users open PDF files?
I think that might be the best way to go for the "big" list. Late additions/changes can be sent via email.

Take care,
Zip

Randi
10-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Yes, Mac users can open PDF files, if they've got Acrobat Reader. Most have it. :)

zippy-kat
10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
I'm finalizing the list... anyone else??

kohala
12-06-2003, 02:46 PM
I got my address to Zippy and Nomilynn, so I guess you all know I'm in again. Sorry for not posting to this thread sooner - actually, I just found it! I did post something somewhwere a month or two ago asking about it. I worked soooooooooo much OT this year I was not on the web much.

BUT- we just got in around 4 am this morning from my first two week vacation in over ten years! While we were up in Idaho, we got married! As Dadcat told the family there, after 16 years I guess we're pretty committed! And you know what? It does change the relationship. We both noticed something just a little different. Maybe it's the legality. I think it's the affirmation f how much we truly love each other. I don't know and it doesn't matter. I'm very happy to be his wife.

So again, my apologies for such a late post, and to those of you who get your cards a little late. They will be going out this week, to all of you wonderful PT pals. I guess many of you don't "know" me since I've been off the page for sooooo long.

BTW - Grasshopper put up with her stay at the Holiday Pet Hotel while we were gone (it's a really nice place in Encinitas, CA - the cats have beautiful "rooms" on all the walls of two pretty living rooms) but when I brought her home this morning, she let me know she prefers home! Old ladies, old cats, we like our homes. And now, after our trip, I am definitely looking forward to our retirement home in Idaho. It's so beautiful there.

Love to all, Ko, Dadcat, and Grasshopper

zippy-kat
12-06-2003, 02:50 PM
CONGRATS to you guys! I'm so happy for you!! :D

kohala
12-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Funny, after all these years, I still got such a charge out of seeing my new last name on the list!

I'm not a real "girlie" woman, but its still fun to have a girlie moment now and then.

moosmom
12-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Congratulations you two!!! I hope you have MANY MANY years of happiness.

Cataholic
12-06-2003, 07:53 PM
CATgratulations! What totally super news!!!!

captain
12-07-2003, 05:06 PM
What great news!!!!!!!

Congrats! :D