PDA

View Full Version : The cruelty of live animal export

Miss Meow
09-23-2003, 03:13 AM
Feel like petitioning anybody this week? An Australian shipment of more than 50,000 sheep has been stuck on the seas for 50 days, rejected by Saudi Arabian customers. Thousands of the sheep have died, and are standing in a foot-high pile of faeces in 43 degree C (107 F) temperatures.

Some of the sheep apparently have scabby mouth, resulting in their rejection by Saudi Arabia. Other countries have been offered the shipment for free, but have rejected the sheep. No one is taking responsibility for them and more are dying each day.

The transcript of a recent Sixty Minutes interview is below (warning, it's disturbing):

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2003_09_21/story_970.asp

If you'd like to petition our Prime Minister to either halt this barbaric trade, introduce stricter laws, or take responsibility for these poor animals, the e-mail form is at :

http://www.pm.gov.au/email.cfm

popcornbird
09-23-2003, 03:21 AM
My dad was telling me of this the other day. He told me Saudi Arabia didn't take them because some of them were sick :confused: and then they were being offered to other countries for free but I have no clue whether they took them in or not! This is just SO sad! I think its so unfair to send so many animals out in a ship with no certain destination. Poor things are just floating around with no where to go. :( They probably got sick by staying in the ship for so long, and now no one wants to take the poor sick animals. This has got to stop! :mad::(:( Unbelievably........cruel. :mad::(:(

cloverfdx
09-23-2003, 07:38 AM
:( it is oh so sad, i just wish lil johny howard would get off his arse and do somthing about it . there is no need to ship the poor animals off live.

they do the live shipping because of religious beliefs dont they??? somthing like they like to slaughter the animals in a certain way (if thats the case they should breed them them selves):mad:

*Grrrs* just off to sign now

popcornbird
09-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by cloverfdx

they do the live shipping because of religious beliefs dont they??? somthing like they like to slaughter the animals in a certain way (if thats the case they should breed them them selves):mad:

No I don't believe that's why they get them from Australia. They can slaughter them the special way anywhere and send them frozen.

They DO breed their own, but because Saudi Arabia is home of the two most holiest cities in Islam, they ALWAYS have visitors from around the world, and I mean, in the millions, so they need a LOT of meat for the many people who come to the country........so much so that I don't believe they can breed enough in their own country themselves. Its not a religious reason by any means though. That's not even possible. Maybe they want fresh instead of frozen. :rolleyes:

Either way, such a pity that the sheep were shipped in such a way that they got sick and no country will accept them because of that. :( Poor sheep. :(:(

Miss Meow
09-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
No I don't believe that's why they get them from Australia. They can slaughter them the special way anywhere and send them frozen ...

That's what I don't understand. There is obviously a demand for animals slaughtered in accordance with Muslim law; why can't it be done at the country of origin, save the poor animals the trip, and transport the meat in a chilled container???

An empty ship is now trying to board at Portland (western Victoria) to load up with cattle and sheep and there are 10 boatloads of protestors trying to stop it docking. Dangerous, but what else to do when the government isn't taking action to fix the problem ...

Aspen and Misty
09-23-2003, 07:48 PM
I'll take them, I think my yard might be big enough for them :(

Poor babies. I wish they could feel the love and warmth of a safe home.

There in my prayers.

Ash :(

Twisterdog
09-23-2003, 11:02 PM
I would think that Australia would be required to take them back, since that is where they came from?

Am I missing something?

popcornbird
09-23-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I would think that Australia would be required to take them back, since that is where they came from?

Am I missing something?

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

Also, if they were sick, I don't think any country in the sane mind would take them. They can't take sick animals and make their people sick, right? Or am I missing something?

Australia exports their sheep all over the world.....its not only Saudi Arabia. :confused: :confused:

Miss Meow
09-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Am I missing something?

No. I think that until the sheep are delivered, the company that's selling them is accountable (which I believe is an industry co-operative).

Popcornbird, yes, Australia exports live cattle and sheep to many countries, however, trade to Saudi Arabia was halted a few years ago because Saudi Arabia started rejecting shiploads of sheep (same issue as now).

captain
09-24-2003, 12:53 AM
As far as I am concerned, let anyone who imports LIVE animals STARVE (edited by me, as I think I was abit "emotional" earlier!). (YES, I am being narrow minded ....... but I really do not care)

I am open to correction, but my understanding is that the animals must be slaughtered on the "holy land" .... which is why they are live exports.

I am really pissed off - no-one wants to take responsiblity - not little Johnny Howard, not the company, not the shipping line .......... but everyone seems to be happy to let the sheep DIE or battle in the heat until they DIE.

Pathetic. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, I agree - Australia is responsible ....... we should be doing something ........... off to sign ..............:mad: :mad:

popcornbird
09-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by captain
As far as I am concerned, let the bloody Saudi's STARVE!!!!! and anyone else who imports LIVE animals. (YES, I am being narrow minded ....... but I really do not care)

Hmmm...............and what about the exporters? Are they any less guilty of shipping live animals? Unless I'm missing something, I think not. They're the ones who have the poor sheep in their hands to begin with, so in my honest opinion, the exporters *Australia* are just as, or more responsible. They sent the sheep LIVE. If they cared for the poor sheep, they wouldn't have, and I believe Australia sends live animals to many other parts of the world as well. I don't think you need to state a whole nation should starve because of the doings of a COMPANY though! Seriously, what does the average Saudi or Australian have to do with this? I understand this makes your blood boil as it makes mine too, but I really don't think we should start making such comments as this. JMHO

I am open to correction, but my understanding is that the animals must be slaughtered on the "holy land" .... which is why they are live exports.

I'm very confused as to where you get this assumption from? :confused: Its forbidden to hurt ANY animal, even an insect or a tree in the Holy cities/zones, whether it be for food or whatever. Unless you're in danger of a dangerous creature, you may NOT hurt a single living thing in the holy sites. Completely false, and as I stated before, there's NO WAY there's a religious reason for this. There isn't. I have no clue what their stupid reason to transport live animals by sea is, but its NOT religious in ANY way.

I am really pissed off - no-one wants to take responsiblity - not little Johnny Howard, not the company, not the shipping line .......... but everyone seems to be happy to let the sheep DIE or battle in the heat until they DIE.

Pathetic. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, I agree - Australia is responsible ....... we should be doing something ........... off to sign ..............:mad: :mad: [/B]

Well said. I agree. :mad::mad:

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?!?! I will never understand!

Miss Meow, I was unaware of that. I think Australia needs to stop sending live animals anywhere in the world. If they must export, they should send already slaughtered livestock, frozen.

carole
09-24-2003, 09:53 PM
New Zealand also exports live animals to saudi and other countries, I am not proud to say this, one good thing the NZ government is not going to send any live exports until the Australian problem is solved, I guess we have to be thankful for small mercy's.

Its appalling, I totally agree, and I support the protestors 100per cent, the farmer's are all saying it would end up costing them too much, if it were done differently , not sure how or why, but thats their story and they are sticking to it,

BAN ALL LIVE EXPORTS IN MHO.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Miss Meow
09-25-2003, 12:03 AM
Michelle and Popcornbird, I found this article on www.theage.com.au explaining why sheep are delivered live. Pops, do you know any more about the pilgrimage sacrificial ritual?

Ritual slaughter that dates back to biblical days
By Carol Nader
September 25, 2003

The quivering animal is pierced precisely around the neck with a sharp knife. Blood pours out of its arteries and spills on to the floor. Thanks are given to God. It is now ready for consumption.

The slaughter of animals must be carried out in a specific way in order for it to be considered halal meat.

Contrary to claims by animal rights activists, the animal must be dealt with "humanely" and must be in a healthy state before it is killed, according to Islamic Council of Victoria president Yasser Soliman. "It should be quick and done with a very sharp knife," he said. "It should be as painless as possible. The animal should be healthy and the food that they've eaten should be wholesome. As much as possible the blood should be drained from the body because that also tends to be one of the first things that germs like to breed in."

The person conducting the slaughter must be facing the direction of Mecca, to acknowledge God. Diseased animals are not acceptable. Nor are animals that are afraid, as it is believed fear releases a hormone into their body that is unhealthy. Animals cannot see other animals being killed.

The spinal cord should not be cut because that hinders the animal's muscular movement, which will lessen the amount of blood discharged.

Mr Soliman said if the animal is being used as part of the pilgrimage sacrificial ritual in Saudi Arabia, the animal must be brought to the site alive.

The ritual goes back to biblical days and is alluded to in the Koran. God tested Abraham by commanding him to sacrifice his son. Abraham agreed and, having passed the test, God then told him to sacrifice a lamb instead.

The method used to kill animals has outraged animal rights activists. In 1997, a French court of appeal fined actress-turned-animal lobbyist Brigitte Bardot 10,000 francs for inciting racial hatred by saying France was being overrun by sheep-slaughtering Muslims.

Recently in Britain, the Muslim and Jewish communities have tried to demonstrate that the method they use is humane.

In Australia, an animal's brain is stunned before a killing. RSPCA national president Hugh Wirth said this did not occur in the Middle East. "We certainly have been pointing out to the Federal Government in the last two years that the killing of cattle and sheep in the Middle East in particular is not humane like we do it," he said.

popcornbird
09-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Are you saying this article is *why* they are shipped alive? Really, I don't think so, because they can slaughter the animals in the proper way in any place on the planet. The meat *we* eat here is slaughtered in the proper way (we get it from special stores) and the animals are slaughtered here in the US. So, what I'm saying is, if they slaughter the animals in the Muslim way IN Australia and then send the meat frozen, there's nothing wrong with that. I really can't comprehend why this would be a reason, because the animal doesn't have to be slaughtered in any particular country for it to be lawful to eat. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Unless, its against the law to have animals slaughtered in that way in Australia. :confused: Is it? :confused:

Miss Meow
09-25-2003, 03:50 PM
There's a large Muslim community in Australia and plenty of halal butchers and other food suppliers, so I don't think that is the reason. It's really, really perplexing, isn't it! :confused:

popcornbird
09-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Then I really don't get it. :confused: Maybe they don't have a reason. Maybe its something they just do. :rolleyes:

I'm sooooooooo confused. :confused: