PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Science News...

PaysForIt
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Saw an article in a tabloid at lunch at work today...

WOMEN cat owners can catch a bug from their pets that turns them into man-eaters.

Scientists say a parasite that lives in cats can infect people and may dramatically alter their personalities.

Women get the “sex-kitten effect” from the toxoplasma gondii bug, making them fun-loving, desirable, sexy and more unfaithful.

But it leaves men feeling grumpy with the “alley cat effect”.

They become more aggressive, scruffy, anti-social and less attractive to women.

There are about nine million cats in the UK and up to half the human population is said to carry the bug.

The study was carried out at Charles University in Prague by Professor Jaroslav Flegr as part of worldwide research into toxoplasma.

He tested 300 people and found that women with the bug were more attractive than those without it.

He said: “They were more easy-going, warm-hearted, had more friends and cared about how they looked. They were also less trustworthy and had more relationships.”

He found that infected men were more likely to brawl and be jealous.

Once the bug is in your body the number of toxoplasma cells grows steadily, meaning women get randier and men get grumpier.

Last night, Martin Cond-liffe, boss of the Ark Pet Centre in West Horsley, Surrey, said: “This research doesn’t surprise me. A number of my cat-owning customers fit the description of sex kitten and alley cat.”

Famous moggy owners include stunning Hollywood star Demi Moore, 40, who is having a passionate affair with Ashton Kutcher, 25, and pop babe Dannii Minogue, though there is no suggestion they have the bug.

And cat-loving Tory MP Ann Widdecombe cast doubt on the research after hearing the bug could make her desirable and promiscuous.

The 55-year-old said: “Nobody could apply those adjectives to me.”

Additional reporting: OLIVER HARVEY

Time for a poll... ;)

Maresche
09-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Oh, this is hysterical!! :D

I have to say though, that I don't find my husband to be grumpy in the slightest.

I'll show this to him and see what his opinion of me is. ;)

lizbud
09-22-2003, 01:31 PM
This is a joke right? Cause you , or somebody's gotta be
kidding.:D :D

Oh btw, I read an article in a "tabloid" while waiting in the
checkput lane at Krogers. Story was about Hussein's secret
weapon in Iraq. Are you ready.....He's had his scientists create
a super strain of giant man eating dinosaurs which could be
unleashed on the unsuspecting U.S. troops.:rolleyes: Yeah,
sure he did.:D :D

PaysForIt
09-22-2003, 04:12 PM
I suspect the tabloids in the USA are a little more sensationalist than the UK. Everyone knows mutant dinosaurs are a secret UK government project :eek:

lizbud
09-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Oh No.....:eek: Maybe I shouldn't have blabbed about it then.

Yikes...:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Story was about Hussein's secret
weapon in Iraq. Are you ready.....He's had his scientists create
a super strain of giant man eating dinosaurs which could be
unleashed on the unsuspecting U.S. troops.:rolleyes: Yeah,
sure he did.:D :D

Wow! The one I saw says Saddam is hiding out as a janitor. I didn't read the article but I took it to be a janitor in a school. Boy, he's a busy guy. :rolleyes: :D

PIF, that's hysterical! After reading the very first line I broke up laughing and could barely finish the rest of the story. Ok, so now we know that it's hard not to read the headlines while you're standing in line at the grocery store, but who buys this stuff? :rolleyes: :D

Killearn Kitties
09-22-2003, 04:36 PM
No!! You must have made that up. What paper was this in?
Must have been a slow news day!:D

feeling frisky
09-22-2003, 05:36 PM
WOW!! That is something!! Except for the unfaithful part I am glad i am WOMAN!!! Stinks if your a man!!! I am trying to get El Prego. This article could explain why it has been so diffuicult!! hahah

slick
09-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PaysForIt
He found that infected men were more likely to brawl and be jealous.
So THAT'S why I can't find good man.....now it all makes sense. :D :D