PDA

View Full Version : Teens with different looks

Tonya
09-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I have kind of an offbeat theory on teens who want body piercings, different hair colors, etc... I was just wondering what everyone else's take is.

Ok, when I was in highschool, my parents pretty much let me do whatever to my body. I had my nose, tongue, belly button pierced. I had all sorts of stupid hair styles and colors... My best friend, on the other hand had very strict parents. They always told her that she couldn't do any of that stuff until she was out of the house.

Well, I got everything "wierd" out of my system. By the time I was an adult, I didn't have a desire to look different. Therefor, I had no problem getting a good job and whatnot. My best friend, on the other hand...the day she turned 18 got her belly button pierced. Flash forward a few years, we're now 25 and Kim has a zillion tattoes and body piercings. Even her gums above her two front teeth are pierced. She has several college degrees, yet can't get a decent job because she looks different.

Would you rather have your kid get everything out of their system while they are in highschool and appearance isn't so critical? Or would you rather have them do everything that they ever wanted to do after they are out of your house...when they are supposed to be becoming responsible adults?

wolf_Q
09-21-2003, 11:47 AM
I never had the desire to color my hair, tattoo, or pierce anything in high school. Yes, my parents probably would have been angry at me if I did, but I mostly didn't do that just because I didn't want to. Now I'm out of high school, and I still don't want to, and I don't think I ever will. Maybe a small tattoo or pierce my ears but it's not very likely.

Glacier
09-21-2003, 12:15 PM
My parents' rule was that I could do whatever I wanted with my hair, but nothing permanent to my body until I was 18. My hair has been every color known to man and then some. I still dye my hair. I'd have to look at pictures from before I was 14 to tell you what my natural color is. It worked well for us. I got to play around with my look, but I could always correct it if it was awful!

binka_nugget
09-21-2003, 12:17 PM
I've never thought about it that way. When I'm older, I won't get any piercings or tattoos that'll conflict with any jobs. Maybe I'll get my nose pierced but that's probably it. I dyed my hair to red, blue and green..and now that I've done it, I don't feel the need to do it again.

Tonya
09-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I deffinately wouldn't let my kid do anything permanent to themselves. But if the teen has a desire to do something that isn't permanent, mind as well do it while they are young...

RubyMutt
09-21-2003, 12:57 PM
My parents let me do just about anything (besides my piercings & tattoos - I had to wait until I turned 18 to get them). I had blood red, hot rod red, orange hair... in high school. I still got a job :p I now have piercings & tattoos... still have a decent job (they can easily be covered by clothing). I don't have any children, but when I do I'm sure I let them dye their hair, pierce, and what not. I probably won't let them tattoo until they're 18 - it gives them more time to really think about it. It lets the realization of how permanent a tattoo is really sink in.

tikeyas_mom
09-21-2003, 01:34 PM
My best friend has alot of percings. she is soo pritty just the same. She has he chin peirced, her toungue peirced, her nose peirced, and her eye brow peirced. She also has for peircings on each ear. The only reason she is alloud to get thoughs things done to her is because she gets on the Government princaples list EVERY year, she is the smartest person I know in my school lol. She wants to be a Marine Biologist (sp?), and she could do it. She is soo smart. Her teachers always judge her right away when she is in their classes, they assume she is a druggy and going to skip classes and fail horridly, but she doesnt, prooves them wronge. I only have my nose and belly peirced, and I have had them done since I was like in grade 7, I am in grade 12 now. lol. My mom ever did her nose with me. I love tattoos, and I will always have them mwahahahahha lol.

Kfamr
09-21-2003, 01:44 PM
I see nothing wrong with piercings, tattoos, or hair coloring at ANY age. People should stop looking at it as some sort of sin or something.

babolaypo65
09-21-2003, 01:56 PM
I don't see anything wrong with tattoos or piercings as well, however, tattoos at least, are pretty darn permanent (or at least very hard to remove). Until a certain age or maturity level kids aren't always able to see far enough in to the future to a time they might not want to have...say... taz on their forearm, so it's up to the parents to help make those choices. What that age is exactly depends on biology and social maturity.

Kfamr
09-21-2003, 02:40 PM
The only tattoo i've really dreamed of getting is a lifelike picture of Simba on my back, or maybe upper arm.:p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Well, I don't think I would ever dye my hair a wacky color, but maybe like blonde, or back to my natural color or something.
As for piercings, I have my ears pierced, I want to get the tops pierced, I would do my bellybutton if I wasn't fat.
Tattoos- I wouldn't mind getting one, like a multi-colored cosmic sun, like my sis has.

wolfsoul
09-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm allowed to dye my hair whatever I want, but I'm not allowed tatoos or piecings anywhere other than my ears.

I think it's best to let teens wear and look like they want. It's the most stressful point in your life. Being yourself can loosen that up and make you independant.

I know when I'm out, I'll probably go get a tatoo right away.

Tonya
09-21-2003, 04:27 PM
I think it's best to let teens wear and look like they want. It's the most stressful point in your life. Being yourself can loosen that up and make you independant.

Exactly.

Uabassoon
09-21-2003, 04:35 PM
I had strict parents and was never allowed to dye my hair when I lived with them. So as soon as I moved out of the house and started college I dyed my hair almost every color imaginable. As for tattoos and peircings I do have several but they can all be easily covered. I want to be able to cover them for when I need to look professional and hide them from my parents who would go nuts if they ever saw them :)

aly
09-21-2003, 04:41 PM
I don't think that everyone has the desire to do that. I'm almost 25 and only have a couple ear piercings. I have no desire for tattoos or anything like that. I have very strict, conservative parents, but even when I moved out, I never wanted to rebel or be different looking.

I think I would rather have a kid who also didn't have the desire. However, I wouldn't have a problem letting my child dress differently as long as it didn't interfere with their lifestyle. What I mean is .. in high school, all the druggies dressed the same way. I would let my child dress that way, but if I ever found out my child was doing drugs ... the *you-know-what* would hit the fan!

Kfamr
09-21-2003, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't call it ugly. :( I know it is YOUR opinion but, it that just basically calling everyone who had piercings,tattoos, and dyed hair - ugly.

My friend Nicole has about 5 or 6 piercings in each ears, and one in each stretched, her nose pierced and everything. She dyes her hair a different color (Blonde with pink, red, orange, green and so on) almost every week -- She is the prettiest girl I know.

Not letting your child do what they want with THEIR hair or their body, is not letting a child live or be a child.

It's not going to hurt them to pierce or dye hair (unless they do it the wrong way, which is something that should be talked about) rather than having sex or doing drugs, which could hurt them.

Kfamr
09-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Oh yeah -- And I remember asking my dad if I could put red streaks in my hair and would he kill me if I did..

He said no, "It would be ugly."

Well, I said "Atleast I have hair to dye!":p :rolleyes: :p :p

Uabassoon
09-21-2003, 05:29 PM
I think its more of a peer pressure than something someone really wants to do to themselves. I mean, if they're friends didn't do it, the kids probably wouldn't even think of it.

I don't fully agree with this, while yes sometimes it can be from peer pressure like the frat boy who goes down will all his buddies to get their frat tatoo. But it's not always like that. I got my tattoos for me, not for anyone else. I only have one tattoo that can actually be seen when I want it to, it's on my calf but even then not too many people have seen it. My tattoos tell a story, they each show a different part of my life like a stressful time in my life that i feel I overcame or something I feel that I accomplished. I feel they are symbolic, this is how tattoos originated. Tribes from all over the world use tattoos so show personal battles that have been won and lost. I don't feel my tattoos make me "cool" or make me fit in, in fact when I got my first tattoo I didn't know anyone else that had one. I like that I have a permanant reminder of these certain events in my life so that I never forget the things that have happened to me I'm able to think about it everyday and know how and why I am the person that I am. While I agree that I don't think tattoos are for everyone and I don't run around telling people they should get them. In fact when one of my friends mentions wanting to get a tattoo I talk to them and make sure they know that it is something that needs to be thought about for a long time. But for me personally my tattoos are just for me and they aren't about anything or anyone else.

babolaypo65
09-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Well, as you could probably guess I dont fully agree with this. Not letting a child do what they want with their body is called being a parent.

Originally posted by Kfamr

Not letting your child do what they want with THEIR hair or their body, is not letting a child live or be a child.

I also believe that children live in families and are, to a certain extent, responsible to those families. While I personally probably mind if my kid dyed their hair (imaginary since I dont have a kid:p ) I can understand why some parents aren't comfortable with it and I respect that. A parent does what they think is best, and kids live within families. If the family values are such that purple hair would be unacceptable, then that's the way it is.
Kids do become adults and then can and should live their own lives.

puppygrrl4eva7
09-21-2003, 07:22 PM
I think lots of parents are too strict. My dad thatnkfully isn't, a while ago I had a phase that I went through where I really wanted my Belly Button Pierced, I did lots of reaseach for a couple months, my dad said as long as I paid I could get it done. Even though I knew he'd rather me not do it he still said I could. Well after much consideration I decided not to do it. Now if he would have totally freaked and forbid me to Pierce my BellyButton I think I would have gotten pissed and gotten it pierced to spite him anyway. I think Parents should give childern more space and freedom and let them experiment with things to find out who they are. Now I'm not saying let kids stay out until 3 am or let your kids do drugs or anything, but just let kids be themselves. About hair color I don't see what the big deal is, if a kid wants pink hair let em have it, It doesn't hurt them physically, it can be eaisly changed, and it's their head, let everyone decide for themselves.

Cataholic
09-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Hmmmm.....I have my ears pierced, and have thought about doing the upper part (right, Baylee?), and a tatoo at various points in my life. I think I hold off because of soceital constraints. I don't think tatoos/peircings on people, once they reach a certain age, are very becoming. I will be that age, at some point.

As to having it effect your ability to get a job- I think that is LARGELY true, for most MAIN STREAM professions. Sure, a rock star, or someone in the music industry can be tatoo'd to pieces, and there not be any stigma...but, put that person in a bank, an upscale restaurant, department store, eeks, court...and it would be problematic. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is still the society MOST of us choose to live in.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-21-2003, 08:43 PM
I would *love* to get a tattoo when I'm older and more responsible. :p
I agree with KayAnn...I don't think "ugly" is the right word to describe it, even if it is your own opinion. I have friends who dye their hair, and have peircings, but I don't hold that against whether there a good person or not.

JMHO.

Twisterdog
09-21-2003, 10:54 PM
My parents' rule was that I could do whatever I wanted with my hair, but nothing permanent to my body until I was 18.

That's my rule, too, pretty much. I don't care what my son does to his hair. For Pete's sake, it's only hair. It's not worth a fight. Wise parents pick their arguments. My son's hair has been long, shaved, blonde, black, green, blue, etc. It's only hair.

He also has his ear pierced. He has for several years. Sometimes he wears an earring and sometimes he doesn't. Ear piercing is so mainstream for both sexes now that I let him do that.

But, that's it. No more piercing and no tattoos until he's grown. I have nothing against it, per se. I do personally think it's not attractive to have 78 tattoos and 59 piercings, but to each his/her own. I have two tattoos. However, I got them when I was about 30, and I finally knew what I wanted them to be. Perish the thought that I would have gotten a tattoo when I was eighteen. It would have probably said, "I love Jon Bon Jovi" or something equally stupid, and I'd be sick about getting it now! :p

carole
09-21-2003, 11:06 PM
I am kinda middle of the road where my daughter is concerned, I am not over strict, but I do have certain absolute NO to certain things, besides she is still only 11, she has plenty time to experiment, and knowing my girl she will indeed, she is somewhat a free spirit and I can imagine her doing her own thing when she is older, and some of it I will not like I am sure.

As for tattoos, I don't mind small ones, but not so keen on large ones, however it is each person's choice, only trouble is if you have lots of piercings and tattoos, it is very hard to gain employment, probably the main reason I would use to tell my kids against it.

My eldest never went that way, but he did have a thing about having his hair braided for a while, but he has outgrown all that stuff, but that was all he ever did, he shaves it now and then, mainly for his sport, but grows it again, and I have to say I am relieved thats all he does.

I was brought up rather strict, hence I left home at 16, but my worst fashion adventure was to be a bit of a hippy, for a short time, but I never felt the need or wanted to be different, I was happy being rather conservative.

I am ok with hair colouring, have put a couple of wash out ones in my girls hair, but nothing outrageous.
Anyway thats MHO.

CathyBogart
09-22-2003, 03:26 AM
My parents usually let me do as I wished with my hair, and I had six piercings in my ears for awhile. Now I don't bother with my hair, and I've let the piercings close up.

One of my dearest friends has neon green hair, more piercincs than most women, and wears a leather trenchcoat no matter the weather. He is one of the sweetest, friendliest, most lovable people I know, but you would never guess that from looking at him!

I'm wierd about tattoos since they are *SO* permanent, but I personally like piercings. My mom lets my little brother buy colored hair gel so that he can have his hair a different color every day. I think it's a good thing to let kids get things "out of their systems" at a younger age. I am not, however, saying that I would condone young kids going all-out wild...just that some "experimenting" is OK in my opinion.

Dakota's Mommy
09-22-2003, 08:40 AM
When I was 18 I came home one night asking my mom what she would think if I got my belly button pierced since I really wanted to do it. She about flipped out but told me that she wasn't paying any medical bills if it got infected and that was where it was left that night. The next night, I walked in the door and she wanted to see my belly! I was caught. Oh well, I was 18! I don't have the desire to pierce anywhere else, only my belly button because I think it's cute and it can easily be covered up whenever I don't want it showing, or during a business day since I do work in business environments! One day I'm considering getting a tatoo too, but I only plan on getting a small one on my upper leg or something like that that I can cover up when I don't want it exposed! My husband has 4 tatoo's, but they are all covered by the average t-shirt!

wolfsoul
09-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Also, I don't think teens doing these things are just being themselves. They themselves are the way they look naturally. The *add-ons* are not *themselves*. Its someone different. :p
I don't agree with this. :) The style of your hair, clothes, earrings, ANYTHING on you tells alot about your personality.

If we technically wanted to be ourselves, then we'd walk around naked, because wearing clothes isn't how we look naturally, right? :P

binka_nugget
09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
*shudders at thought of parents walking around naked*

RubyMutt
09-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I don't agree with this. :) The style of your hair, clothes, earrings, ANYTHING on you tells alot about your personality.

If we technically wanted to be ourselves, then we'd walk around naked, because wearing clothes isn't how we look naturally, right? :P

lol, I love how you put that :D

I agree, I love my tattoos. I put years of thought into them, they are very much a part of me and DO tell a lot about my personality, likes, & beliefs.

Tattoos are expensive, painful, and permanent... I think most people realize that before getting one. I don't know anyone who just got a random tattoo that doesn't have much meaning to them.

sasvermont
09-22-2003, 01:39 PM
"It" will always be around....and that is what I believe the fads, trends etc. are all about. They, the fads etc., have been around for centuries. Could it be considered "fashion"? I think so.

To each his own.

:rolleyes:

catland
09-22-2003, 01:40 PM
I think its more important that parents monitor their kids to make sure that they are not doing drugs, are getting good grades, and aren't making babies.

RICHARD
09-22-2003, 01:46 PM
food for thought.

Remember that a doctor, nurse and the coroner will
eventually see your tattoos.

The hardest part is getting the coroner to listen to the story as to why you had your college boy/girlfriend's name tattooed on your belly in
Olde English!!

Extended care hospital attendants will ask you about the tattoo on your back....Alzheimer's
may not let you explain it coherently.

Pierced body parts will always get hung up in clothing.

Don't get Disney characters tattooed on your body!
Two words, Copyright Infringement!

If you really like your tattoo, have it someplace
where people can see it! It gets tiring to hear you brag about your tattoo and not being able to see it because, 'it's hidden'.

Before you tattoo, take a Sharpie and draw it where you want it.

Remember, don't panic when your 'MOM' tattoo spells 'WOW' from your POV!!!

Food pictures do not make good tattoos, neither does "SUPER SIZE it for 49 cents".

Tattoos done on a dare always suck.
So do tattoos done on derrieres!

The colors in dog and cat tattoos blend after time!
"Is that a schnauzer on your arm or a badger?"

Find a tattoo artist that knows how to spell,
Find a tattoo artist that can draw!

And finally,
Think about your grandchildren climbing into your
lap on a Sunday afternoon and asking you about the
devil's head smoking a ciggie, dice, beer bottle,
nude women on the back of the '56 truck (your first car!!!) with the slogan "SWORN TO FUN, LOYAL TO NONE".....

"Is that the reason you don't do to church with Grandma???"

I like tattoos......i was just having fun.......

slick
09-22-2003, 02:44 PM
More food for thought:

Remove your nose ring before blowing your nose......

You can also attach a leash to a nose ring.......

If the Lord had a nose ring would that make Him the Lord of the Ring??

When I was growing up I was barely able to get my haircut without asking permission. I'm sure glad times have changed and the younger crowd can express themselves more freely. I don't see anything wrong with coloured hair or tattooes, mind you, I'd never do it myself. To me I look at it the same way as PS, if it makes you feel good, go for it.

Andie
09-22-2003, 03:15 PM
My parents don't really care what I do with my hair and body as long as it doesn't result in grandchildren (the non-furry kind at least)

catland
09-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
"It" will always be around....and that is what I believe the fads, trends etc. are all about. They, the fads etc., have been around for centuries. Could it be considered "fashion"? I think so.

To each his own.

:rolleyes:

I remember when I wore my first halter-top back in the 70's. You should have seen my mom's face when she realized that I wasn't wearing a <gasp> bra!:eek: :eek:

RICHARD
09-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Andie
My parents don't really care what I do with my hair and body as long as it doesn't result in grandchildren (the non-furry kind at least)

they won's ask about the devil's head tattoo-will they???;)

Andie
09-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
they won's ask about the devil's head tattoo-will they???;)

In this family you never know;)

zippy-kat
09-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Before you tattoo, take a Sharpie and draw it where you want it.

sharpies bleed -- use a gel pen ;)

Find a tattoo artist that can draw!

Or trace! I drew my own & the lady traced the pattern.

RICHARD
09-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

Or trace! I drew my own & the lady traced the pattern.

COOL!!!!! can you draw ME a devil's head?????

;)

carole
09-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Catland your thread reminded me , yep it was the bra-less look in my young day too, remember the boob tubes, I loved the halter top, so its been good to see them back in fashion somewhat.

Honestly we go on and on about the fashion today, how awful and skimpy some of it is, but really they are not much different to my young days, most of them are being revived in some way or another anyhow.

Most of the young ones do indeed wear bras these days, very few would get away with not, girls seem to be getting larger these days, and those rounded bras and push-ups are all the look here in NZ.

Tonya
09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
I think its more important that parents monitor their kids to make sure that they are not doing drugs, are getting good grades, and aren't making babies.

Exactly! Worry more about the stuff that has a permanent effect on life.

Uabassoon
09-22-2003, 09:00 PM
This reminds me of that anti drug commerical where you see this young kid dressing up and he's dressed in all black clothing with chains and peircings and dyed hair in a ponytail. Then you see him walk at the door and him mom asks him where he's doing and with who and he smiles and tells her all the info she asks for. Then it says "Let your kids be who they are" and reminds parents that they need to make sure they know what their kids are doing but still let them be who they want.

Foam
09-23-2003, 03:46 PM
I've seen that commercial before. Great message. :)
There's nothing wrong with dying, peircing, tatooing or whatever. It shows your character, and people need to get over that it's always going to be around, and there's nothing they can do to stop it. One of my best friends has a bright blue mohawk. He's such a cool guy, and he's so smart. He gets straight As with an ocasional B sometimes. Whenever I'm with him, people will stare, and automatically think we're getting into trouble.
My other two best friends, both have dyed hair. One, Alex, her hair is natural blonde on top but maroon on the bottom. Amy's hair is just straight black with neon pink streaks. They're both great people. They're not exactly the smartest people alive, but they're passing and doing fine. Their parents don't care what they do, when they're home, or anything either..the total opposite of my parents.
My parents are always on my back, and even object against my friends without getting to know them just because they look like they might be a smoking druggy or something..I can't dye my hair until I'm 14. Even then it has to be natural colors. I'm not aloud to get my belly button pierced til I'm 15, and no cell phone until 15 either. I don't know what they're holding back on..:mad:

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 03:49 PM
I love that commercial, Laura! It's the greatest.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Foam

My parents are always on my back, and even object against my friends without getting to know them just because they look like they might be a smoking druggy or something..I can't dye my hair until I'm 14. Even then it has to be natural colors. I'm not aloud to get my belly button pierced til I'm 15, and no cell phone until 15 either. I don't know what they're holding back on..:mad:

Ditto. I have a few what they call "gothic" friends, they think they're strange, and are druggies just because of the way they dress. They don't know them at ALL, so I don't feel they can judge. (they are great friends, BTW. :))
No cell phone until your 15?! My parents actually WANTED me to have one. I could care less about it, I only use it for "emergencies". :p

Foam
09-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Popcorn- What do you mean? :p
Julie- Yup. And they're the ones always wanting me to call them wherever I am..I have to spend my own money to be able to do that, then they get mad at me because I can't 'save' up. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 06:22 PM
If my parents say something aobut my friends, I tell them to take a look at theirs! ... Oh wait, there's not that many to look at! :o :p :D

Uabassoon
09-23-2003, 06:32 PM
I can totally understand about being cautious with their kids friends, you all might not understand it now but you have children you will. Now I know that I'm all for letting kids be themselves up to a point. If a kid wants to dye their hair or get a peircing and it can later be removed then I say go for it. As I said before I have tattoos, but that doesn't mean I'd let my kid get one until it was at least 18 because a tattoo is something that you can't easily get rid of. But growing up it didn't matter what my friends looks like or how well they did in school I was not allowed to hang out with them unless my parents met them. Which ment they came over to my house for dinner or something like that so my parents could get a chance to talk to them and see if they felt comfortable with them. While I know it's kind of a pain and you think you're parents should trust you, you need to see it from your parents point of view. Would you trust just anyone to take your dog on a walk? Well that's how your parents feel about you, they love you and don't want you to get hurt. I learned it's always easier to say ok and let them meet your friends because then the next time you want to go out with them there's no problem. It's so much better and easier than always fighting about it.

wolfsoul
09-23-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm glad that my parents couldn't care less what my friends look like. My mom is very critical...she will say "Whoa, you're friend sure is a big girl." And she will point out alot of things, but she's not going to ban them from being with me. I have alot of friends who do drugs, and she knows, and she just says "Maybe you shouldn't hang out with them." But she hasn't given a direct no.

babolaypo65
09-23-2003, 06:50 PM
My parents were the same as yours uabassoon. They wanted to meet and spend time with my friends before I was allowed to go out with them, over to their houses, or, later, to ride in cars that they drove. It seemed sooooo silly when I was a teenager, and i was always mortified by them and angry at their intrusions, and what I thought was their lack of trust of me...
Last month my nephew went to prom with an older girl and they had an "after party" at one of the friend's house... my sister and i called the house twice just to make sure the parents were there, and we both feel strongly about meeting and getting to know the friends before letting my nephew....well, you get the idea, turns out we don't think our parents were too strict after all...

primabella
09-23-2003, 06:51 PM
... Oh wait, there's not that many to look at! :o :p :D

Ooo that's gotta hurt! ;) ;)

Logan
09-23-2003, 07:06 PM
My parents are always on my back, and even object against my friends without getting to know them just because they look like they might be a smoking druggy or something..I can't dye my hair until I'm 14. Even then it has to be natural colors. I'm not aloud to get my belly button pierced til I'm 15, and no cell phone until 15 either. I don't know what they're holding back on..

I'm a mom and I take a bit of offense at how you describe your parents. You're saying that they are going to allow you things at 15 and 14 that I can't imagine. My daughter is in 7th grade. She will not be dyeing her hair, getting extra piercings (she has one hole in each ear now), nor will she get any tattoos while she is under my roof and having her expenses paid by me. She knows this. She does have a cell phone, but it was provided by her father, and he pays for it. He wants her to be able to call him when she is not here at home. It is used for that purpose only. She will dress appropriately at all times. That's just the way it is. She doesn't resent me for it, just understands the rules. She gets to do a lot of things, have lots of things (as much as I can afford), she gets good grades, she works hard and is a good girl, not a goody two shoes type, but an obedient, nice girl. I hope that it will continue to be that way.

I meet the parents of her friends and I meet her friends. I encourage her to have them here in our home. I don't allow her to go off places without adult supervision most of the time. There is just too much scary stuff out there to allow that. In time, I will loosen up on that, but for now, it is my duty to protect her, not smother, but to make sure she is safe. I don't think that she would say that I'm unreasonable. She knows my expectations and she doesn't argue with me. Her father, although we are no longer married, reinforces what I say. I'm just wondering if you truly try to see it from your parent's point of view and the fact that they may be looking out for your longterm best interest?

Kfamr
09-23-2003, 07:15 PM
I could be like any other teen and *beg* for a cell phone but I barely answer my calls on the regular phone!:p

And the part about them not having friends, I was kidding. :p :p :p :D

micki76
09-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I mean..........your parents have the right to know your whereabouts, who you meet with, who your friends are, who you spend time with, and what you do with your friends. Be glad that your parents love you enough to care. If your friends' parents could care less, you should feel fortunate that your parents care so much more about you than your friends' parents do about them. You do the best you can for Darlin, because you love her so much, and you wouldn't trust her with someone else unless you really really knew them well right? Think of it that way. Your parents love you more than the world and if they're telling you don't do this and don't do that, its not because they don't trust *you*. Its because they don't trust *other* people. Parents only do this to us because they love us. Trust me. :)

As for the cell phone issue, most parents get their kids cell phones for safety reasons or in case of an emergency. I remember you mentioned your dad didn't want you talking on the phone late at night. Maybe they are afraid if you get a cell phone, you'll be talking to people they don't feel comfortable about all night, without them hearing the phone ring to find out. :p

Just the way I feel. Your parents, and all of our parents are not strict. They're just doing they're job as a parent. :)

;)

Very well said, PCB! :)

Foam
09-23-2003, 07:48 PM
I see. Lol thanks, PCB! :)

primabella
09-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I could be like any other teen and *beg* for a cell phone but I barely answer my calls on the regular phone!:p

And the part about them not having friends, I was kidding. :p :p :p :D

I knew that. lol :p :D

I don't want a cell. it would be useful but it's not even as if I go out all the time. My sister has a cell so I take hers when I go out. Or a friend will let me use theirs. I don't care for one.

I actually like it when people get piercings, depending on where they are. I know this guy today said he used a toothpick as an earring and he said it was hurting him. Like, okay I think it looked cool but if it hurts, take it out. :p My friend has a nose ring shaped like a star, I think it is so cute.

Sometimes my parents will be critical of my friends but I just ignore them. I make fun of their friends too, so it's all good. :D Plus my mom seems to know when someone isn't a "good friend". She told me that two friends I had didn't seem right to her but she never said I should stop being their friends. Anyways, these "friends" backstabbed me and put me through a lot of bad stuff. She seems to know who are the good friends or not, so I totally trust her judgment. I just don't like it when she'll see someone crossing the street who has his hair in a mohawk and tons of piercings and she'll say, "Look at this guy." I don't like that. Oh well.

Oh and something to get back to the jobs...my sister applied at this Wal-Mart and they never called her back, I think it was because she wasn't French. (Go figure :rolleyes: ) But then they hire these people who look half asleep and doped up while bagging stuff. :rolleyes:

puppygrrl4eva7
09-23-2003, 08:16 PM
I think it was because she wasn't French.

French? Did you say French? I jsut started taking French this year, it's my favorite class! Then do you live near, or in Quebec?

Sry Didn't mean to change subject.:p

carole
09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Foam you have GREAT PARENTS, I know you won't maybe think so now, but when you are older you will appreciate the fact that they CARED, I had many friends who were allowed to do as they wanted, and now they say if only my parents were a bit stricter and showed like they cared.

Twisterdog
09-23-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm not aloud to get my belly button pierced til I'm 15, and no cell phone until 15 either.

Well, then I must be the meanest ole' mom in the whole world, because my son is not getting any piercings until he is 18, not 15. And he's not getting a cell phone any time soon, either, probably not until he is 16, and has a driver license.

wolfsoul
09-23-2003, 11:28 PM
I'd never object to letting my child get piercings or dying hair or anything like that. However, they'd have to either raise the money themselves or work for it. I'm reeeally cheap and try to spend my money sparingly.

For the parents that say their kids aren't allowed peircings, do you even mean on the ears? That's usually the only place the stricter parents will let their kids get piercings. :) I got mine done when I was four. :) I've been dying my hair since I was nine.

As for cells, I really don't care for them. It would be nice to have one, but they cost so much money in the long run. I'd probably keep mine off and only take calls on weekends so they're free. :rolleyes:

primabella
09-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Then do you live near, or in Quebec?

Yeah in Quebec. Some pretty rude people over here...:rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Well, then I must be the meanest ole' mom in the whole world, because my son is not getting any piercings until he is 18, not 15.

That's really harsh.

MY PARENTS told me that I could smoke, drink, pierce, tattoo.....ANYTHING I WANTED TO DO!!!!!

i just had to find another place to live........:D

2kitties
09-24-2003, 02:58 PM
I have no idea what kind of parent I will be. I don't think any of us can predict how hard it is to be a parent, until we become one. I am 28 years old now and can at least look at my adolescence from a different perspective. While I understand times are changing, there are some values I hope I will hold.

I hope I am accepting of my children and their individuality. I hope I am able to help them become the best they can be. I hope I can keep them safe and help them understand how important it is to stay a good course in life.

Like my own parents, my biggest priority will be grades. If my teen is making good grades and studying and following a good path, then I'll probably be more likely to overlook some haircolors. Once my child is driving or my daughter is dating, I will make sure there is a phone always available on his or her person. I will always know who my children are with and what they are doing. But, if my child earns my trust, then I will give it. I will expect my child to take an interest in things- both in and outside of school. They may not be an athlete or anything like that, but I expect them to have interests. Art, music, sports... something besides hanging out at the movie theater.

But, let the grades fall or start messing up. I will shirk those freedoms in a NY minute.

Logan
09-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I have no idea what kind of parent I will be. I don't think any of us can predict how hard it is to be a parent, until we become one. I am 28 years old now and can at least look at my adolescence from a different perspective. While I understand times are changing, there are some values I hope I will hold.

I hope I am accepting of my children and their individuality. I hope I am able to help them become the best they can be. I hope I can keep them safe and help them understand how important it is to stay a good course in life.

Like my own parents, my biggest priority will be grades. If my teen is making good grades and studying and following a good path, then I'll probably be more likely to overlook some haircolors. Once my child is driving or my daughter is dating, I will make sure there is a phone always available on his or her person. I will always know who my children are with and what they are doing. But, if my child earns my trust, then I will give it. I will expect my child to take an interest in things- both in and outside of school. They may not be an athlete or anything like that, but I expect them to have interests. Art, music, sports... something besides hanging out at the movie theater.

But, let the grades fall or start messing up. I will shirk those freedoms in a NY minute.

When the time comes, I think you will make a great parent!!! :)

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties

Parents who respect their kids individuality will neve have to worry about the goth/surfer/gangbanger costumes that the kids wear today.

Being an individual means you DO NOT have to look
like someone else.

Soledad
09-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Being an individual means you DO NOT have to look like someone else

AMEN!!!

How cliche is it to decide the world does not "understand" you and to then chose a uniform that best displays that to the rest of the world??!! Try being different in your actions and thoughts rather than relying on a decade's old formula of "unique" clothing.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Soledad

How cliche is it to decide the world does not "understand" you and to then chose a uniform that best displays that to the rest of the world??!! Try being different in your actions and thoughts rather than relying on a decade's old formula of "unique" clothing.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This may not be a PC thing to say but... dressing goth/surfer/skater or gangbanger is just a way of saying, "I look different than YOU, but I dress this way so other goth/skater/surfer/gangbangers
know that we are all on the same side!!"

We are all M&Ms.....

Different colored candy shells, chocolate inside!;)

Kfamr
09-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I hate labels. :rolleyes: :( :(

slick
09-24-2003, 04:47 PM
I've already indicated that I grew up in a very strict setting and was not allowed to do any of the stuff kids can do these days. Besides, it was a different era and in my day it wasn't so much the piercings or hair colour, it was the hippies and they followed their own path.

When I turned 40, I decided to get my ears pierced. When I told my Mom and Dad about it and the first words out of my Dad's mouth were "What do you want to do that for?? Sticking holes in your ears won't make you any different." I just sighed and walked away. Did it anyway and it took 2 nieces to hold me down. (Pain and I don't get along very well.)

The point of this story is that I couldn't understand Dad's statement because looking different wasn't what I was after and everyone wears earrings. And even at the age of 40 he was still trying to tell me what to wear. **sigh** the older generation!! Guess I'll be there someday.

Richard, M & M's?? I was given a pack of them one day and was asked to put them in alphabetical order. Took me all day.:D :D

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 04:47 PM
I hate labels. :rolleyes: :( :(

What do you do when you eat canned food?:confused:

Years ago I saw a documentary on a person who could not read....when asked about how she
would shop for food the gal said she looked at
the pictures or WHEN she COULD NOT READ THE LABELS she would shake the cans to determine what was inside....

The last time i shook someone to find out what was
inside them they weren't too happy....It's too much hassle to peel away 'the look' a person wears to find out what is really inside them....

Labels are just a way to tell how much a person
paid for their clothes.

Kfamr
09-24-2003, 04:51 PM

catland
09-24-2003, 04:56 PM
When I go to the dentist, I don't expect goth with my floss.

When I watch a football/basketball/baseball game, its a lot easier to tell the teams apart because of their uniforms.

The orange smocks at Home Depot let me know who to ask when I have a question.

I don't want a person to exit a police car and approach me if they are in gangbanger attire.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking labels - like Richard mentioned, it makes grocery shopping much easier.

Slick - my dad hated the idea of pierced ears. I waited until I was 18 before getting mine pierced to avoid the conflict that my older sister went through. My mom got her ears pierced when she turned 70:D .

RICHARD
09-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by catland
When I go to the dentist, I don't expect goth with my floss.

I don't want a person to exit a police car and approach me if they are in gangbanger attire.

How does a 'goth' tell their fingernails are dirty?:confused:

In my "hood" gangbangers getting out of police cars won't hurt you-when they exit squad cars they are cuffed.....;)

Toby's Mommy
09-26-2003, 08:00 PM
My cousin (I just found that out) has a different hair color like every day. She is really nice and everything and has a nose ring but some people are really mean to her. The one thing I didn't like was on the bus she said,"This bus ride is so long I could have smoked a 12 pack by now."
No offense to anyone but shes only in 10th grade!!

Soledad
09-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Um, do cigarettes come in twelve packs now? Or was she trying to say she could have drank a twelve pack of beer?:confused: :rolleyes: