PDA

View Full Version : Second Dog

wolf_Q
09-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Came across this poem and thought I'd share. :)

SECOND DOG

Sometimes I look for traits in you
Of another dog you never knew;
A dog that loved me all his days
And understood in special ways.
But that's not fair to you, you elf;
Your're not a substitute, but yourself.
You've eased the loss, soothed the pain
And tugged my laughter home again.
Yet, puppy at times I almost start
When your eyes recall him to my heart;
You'll never lack for love, it's clear
Because of him you're twice as dear.

Original poem by Lee Avery

pitc9
09-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Okay, just this morning already I have cried 3 times reading posts!!!!!

Thank you for the poem wolf-q, that was great!!!!!

Pam
09-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Reading this poem brought to mind our own special K9Karen and her beloved Cody and now her new special little girl, Logan, known to us Pet Talkers as Klo.

This is a wonderful tribute to all of the "second dogs" out there who have helped their humans heal from the loss of one of their own kind and have now gone on to carve out a very special, very individual place in their human's heart.

Rachel
09-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Oh my, oh my. It is so hard to breath when I am sobbing. I have two *Second Dogs*. Hannah is a Second Dog for my Bailey and Tucker a Second Dog for my Tizzie. Thanks for sharing that, Amy, and thanks to you, Pam, for the *thread alert*.

bluekat
09-21-2003, 09:43 AM
These poems are so beautiful, and very true too:)

Thanks for sharing that with us:)

Foam
09-21-2003, 11:45 AM
You've got me in tears over a small poem..It reminds me so much of my Golden Retriever that I lost to cancer less than a year ago. Darlin has helped me to heal with it in so many ways..she's my angel, and my miracle.
Thank you so much for sharing, wolf_q :) **hug**

RubyMutt
09-21-2003, 11:48 AM
That is a wonderful poem! Thank you so much for posting it. :) That's exactly like my "second dog" Ruby girl :D

lovemyshiba
09-21-2003, 03:56 PM
What a beautiful poem.
Thanks for sharing it!!

Cataholic
09-21-2003, 04:31 PM
What a wonderful tribute!

wolf_Q
09-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Pam
Reading this poem brought to mind our own special K9Karen and her beloved Cody and now her new special little girl, Logan, known to us Pet Talkers as Klo.

That's who I thought of when I first read it too. :) Glad all of you enjoyed it!

Kater
09-21-2003, 10:39 PM
*CRIES* I thought of Klo too, but only after I thought "No doggy will ever replace Jack." *CRIES*

K9karen
09-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Oh Pam! Thanks for the kleenex alert before I read this...truer words were never spoken! Amy, you're a sweetheart, my friend, what can I say? I printed it so I can cry some more! :confused: About 1/2 hr ago, before I read this, I was sitting in the bed tossing off my shoes and Klo of course was next to me.I looked down at her and told her that, I guess she must be as happy as can be..outside almost all day barking at and chasing critters, getting hugs and kisses for no reason, taking long walks against my doctor's orders, and doing very very well not pulling anymore ..and believe it or not, she put her head and paw on my thigh and sighed!!! I thank my dad and Cody in my prayers every night for the "omen" that it was finally okay for fill the emptiness again. I know so many of you feel the same.

captain
09-21-2003, 11:39 PM
K9Karen ........... thought of you too!!!!

Wolf_q - Thanks so much for posting that ..... truly beautiful, and true.
....... reaches out for tissues ...............