PDA

View Full Version : In the wrong place at the wrong time

AdoreMyDogs
03-18-2001, 01:37 PM
My poor little pug, Cassie gave me a huge scare today. I take her and Graham to the dog park every Sunday at around 10:00 AM and today there was the average crowd of about 20-25 dogs. After only about 20 minutes or so in the park, Cassie walked too close to a tennis ball that a VERY possessive yellow lab wanted to play with. Cassie was attacked. She's usually really tough and can handle alot of dogs tripping and stumbling over her, but today that dog must have gotten her in a very sensetive spot and Cassie began bleeding profussely from her nose and mouth. She then started choaking on her blood and she had to really work for a gasp of air. I don't think I have ever been so terriried. I thought she was going to suffocate in my arms. The owner of the dog who attacked Cassie offered to drive me to emergency and so off we went. What a rough day! Cassie is probablly going to be ok but she is confined to cage rest now so she does not start bleeding alot again. The owner also paid for Cassies bill which was $125...I am just glad she is still with me. I was so terrified http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

I just wanted to share with you today's scary experience and to have everyone wish me luck with Cassie. She's in her little carrier and the pillow she has in it is soaked in blood so I am still very worried. The vet said that if the bleeding does not stop that I have to take her in and she has to be anesthetized and they have to make sure she does not have a more serious problem http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif My poor little girl. I always thought she was the roughest, toughest little dog but she's not as tough as I thought. I just hope this experience does not traumatize her and she still enjoyes playing with the other dogs in the dog park.

HowieDawn
03-18-2001, 02:46 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your little Cassie. I do wish both of you the best of luck. I am also glad that the parent of the other dog was responsible and payed for your vet bills. I will say a prayer for your family tonight.

RachelJ
03-18-2001, 03:09 PM
Oh, poor dear little Cassie. There will be lots of prayers said in our house that she will recouperate both physically and psychologically from this ordeal. My heart goes out to you as I know how awful this must have been and still is to endure. I do hope the bleeding stops on its own. Keep us informed as you are able. (We need a crying *smilie* to put here.)

tatsxxx11
03-18-2001, 03:21 PM
Little Cassie girl. Oh, I am so upset to hear that she was hurt. How horribly frightening that must have been for you to see your poor baby hurt...and by another dog is doubly tragic. I hope and pray that she will recover soon. You know we are all thinking of you and Cassie and saying extra prayers for her quick recovery. Is she home with you? I know it must be so painful to see your little girl hurt. Thankfully the owner acted responsibly. It must have been horrible for her as well. Was Cassie deliberately "attacked" or injured in the fight over the ball? I hate to think of one dog hurting another viciously. Like you say, I hope she will not become afraid of other dogs because of this. Please let us know how she is doing, OK? My thoughts are with you and Cassie this night.

jackiesdaisy1935
03-18-2001, 03:46 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Cassie. That was a horrible experience for her, we will all be hoping and praying for her quick recovery.
Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
Give her a kiss from all of us.

AdoreMyDogs
03-18-2001, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the prayers. I am so worried about her. She's in a little carrier now and I let her out for about 30 seconds a few minutes ago and as soon as she walked out her nose began to drip blood again. I feel so helpless. I found out that she must have been crate trained by her last owners because she is not putting up any kind of fuss about being in that small carrier. She's my brave little munchkin. She was not at all interested in the tennis ball that she was atacked for, she may not have even seen it. She was caught totally off guard which is maybe why she was so injured. It was so nice and responsible of the owner of the yellow lab that attacked her to drive me to and pay for the emergency vet. The owner said she'll never, ever bring any tennis balls to the park again because her dog has attacked other dogs for getting near her tennis balls in the past. Other dogs have an advantage, however, because all of the other dogs in the dog park are big.

I will keep you updated on Cassie's condition. I have to keep her in a cage for 2 days, only to come out for potty time, and I am supposed to put her on a leash so she does not walk around too much. She's going to be bummed out http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif Hopefully she'll be better by the time I come home from work tomorrow and she can spend a bit of time out of that little cage. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for the prayers and kind words. I'll keep you updated.

carrie
03-18-2001, 05:26 PM
How awful for you and poor Cassie!
Thank goodness the owner of the other dog took responsibility - but you have to wonder why they let the situation occur if they knew the dog was possesive of the tennis ball.
What has the vet said is causing the bleeding?

The fact that they have allowed Cassie home suggests that she is on the road to recovery, I hope so. Let us know how she, and you, are getting on.

tatsxxx11
03-18-2001, 05:44 PM
Concerned about the bleeding. Did the vet say that some bleeding was to be expected? I hope you will not hesitate to call the vet if you feel the bleeding is excessive. Please give precious little Cassie a big hug and kiss. I remember so well thinking how adorable she was when you posted her pics.
Thinking of you both. Love Sandra

KYS
03-18-2001, 07:11 PM
Wishing Cassie good thoughts for a
speedy 100% recovery.
Very devasting/scary to see a dog
attack.

Tennis balls are left all over the dogs parks over here.
I think owners who own dog dominant, posessive or aggressive dogs should NOT take them to leashless dog parks period.

Please keep us posted on Cassie.
I will be thinking of you both.

[This message has been edited by KYS (edited March 18, 2001).] (can't spell) http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KYS (edited March 18, 2001).]

AdoreMyDogs
03-18-2001, 08:42 PM
Here's the latest update before I head off to bed. Cassie is in alot of pain. She can barely open her mouth, she bled a little bit more out of her nose when I carried her outside for her last potty before bedtime. The bleeding is going down considerablly. The vet told me that Cassie is suffering the after effects of facial trauma. She's very sore and she will be very sore tomorrow, just like when you over work muscles they always hurt the next day worse then the first day. When I offered her a little bit of water she just dipped her tongue in a couple times and appeared thirsty but her whole face seems to hurt and it hurt her to drink and swallow. The vet checked her upper palate and there did not appear to be any laserations, nor did she have any teeth missing, so the vet figured the dog that attacked Cassie must have rammed her head so hard into Cassie's face that Cassie suffered facial trauma, and since her face is smashed, and her breathing is already messed up, the extra blood and fluid in her nose and throat caused her to choke. She only has one little puncture on her face, probablly from a tooth hitting it real hard when she was head-butted with the attacker. The hardest part is that she's in such bad pain. I called the vet clinic and they said they could give her an enjection of pain killers but Cassie will probablly be less willing to stay in her cage and want to move around since the pain is gone, so I am feeling a bit like the bad guy. They told me that tomorrow if the bleeding is gone I can give her 1/2 of a baby asprin to sooth the pain. I will either give her 1/2 a baby asprin or I'll take her in to the clinic for an injection of pain killer before work tomorrow because I can't stand to see her in such pain. My poor little girl http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif I was so terrified. It's the first time that I have ever had to rush a dog to the emergency, I sobbed the whole way there, just praying that Cassie would stop choking and continue breathing. I think she's in alot of pain but the bleeding is getting much better so I think she'll be ok. I hope and pray that she'll be ok.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am still so afraid and it helps to get so many kind words, it helps my saddened heart.

-Leslie

Logan
03-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Oh Leslie...
I hope Cassie will feel much better tomorrow. I know you are worried. I would be too.
Please update us in the morning to let us know how she is.
In the meantime, she has lots of prayers...
Logan

Karen
03-18-2001, 09:25 PM
This made be hard to hear, but although you are scared and worried, there is some good in the situation. The first is the dog defending/protecting/guarding her precious tennis ball did not do more damage than she did. It would have been different, and sadder if that dog had had malicious intent. Though poor Cassie is in pain, she is alive, and will get better.

The second is that the dog's owner was good enough to drive you guys to the emergency vet. Nuff said about that.

The best part, though, is that, despite her pain and discomfort, Cassie is home with you, where she can feel safe and secure. My family once lost a dog who was injured, but the vet said would recover, we are sure because of loneliness. She had to stay at the vet's, in a kennel by herself. She was a dog that was used to being with people most of the time, in an active household. At the vet's, she was alone. I'm sure they went in to change dressings, or give her food, but the vet's office was many miles from our house, and we couldn't be with her at night, either, after they closed the offices. She died, at the age of 5, from a herniated diaphragm (an non-life-threatening injury, we were told) - but we know that after several lonesome days and solitary nights, she gave up, and died of sadness. We never brought another animal to that vet again.

Be glad your little pugster is home with you, and give her a kiss (on a part that doesn't hurt) for all of us.

Genia
03-18-2001, 09:39 PM
Poor Cassie http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif I'll keep her in my prayers. I had to give Bandit an extra hug tonight. I can't imagine what you are going through, I hate to see my boys in any kind of pain. As said before, I glad the owners took responsibility for the attack. I know being home will help her recovery. Please give her a kiss from all of us.

Pam
03-18-2001, 09:59 PM
Oh Leslie I am so sorry to hear what happened to Cassie today. I feel that I know her and her little personality from things you have written and it seems like a good little friend is suffering and that makes us all so sad. Please know that everyone here is praying for a complete recovery for her, both physically and emotionally. You must be so shaken and upset yourself. Please do keep us posted. Kisses and lots of love to Cassie. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

KYS
03-18-2001, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karen:
The second is that the dog's owner was good enough to drive you guys to the emergency vet. Nuff said about that.>>>>>

Actually that was responsible of
the dog owner. Where I live, you enter
Dog Parks at your own risk.
The last time I was at a dog park,
I got bit by some-ones dog.
Luckly just cost me $65.00 doc. bill and
I have 2 small scars for a souviner.

Sudilar
03-18-2001, 10:46 PM
Oh, so sorry to hear about Cassie!! I hope she gets well soon. She'll be in my thoughts. Good luck!
Sue

aly
03-19-2001, 03:54 AM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif What a sad story to read. At least Cassie is feeling better now. My three babies and I will have you and Cassie in our prayers. That must have been so scary. Stay strong.

I agree that it was good that the owner took you to the emergency room but I also wonder about that person. If they knew their dog was toy aggressive, why take it to a park filled with dogs? That's an accident waiting to happen.

At least everything is turning out. Hug and kiss Cassie for me.

tatsxxx11
03-19-2001, 04:58 AM
Just wanted to say hi to Cassie before work. I hope she is feeling better this morning and is in less pain today. Couldn't stop thinking of you guys last night and we pray for her very speedy recovery. You must be so exhausted from the fear and stress. You probably didn't sleep much I'm sure. Take care of yourself as well, OK? Please give the precious pug a hug and a kiss.

AdoreMyDogs
03-19-2001, 06:57 AM
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for caring, it means alot to me. Shortly after I last posted last night I gave Cassie her antibiotic and she choaked on it...back to emergency we went. They said that they think she'll recover 100% within a couple days. She's just very swolen in her throat and nasel airways. The bleeding has stopped, she's just sore now and swolen. She does seem to hurt a bit less then she did yesterday, that's a relief for me. The vet said there is a small chance that the injuries she has now are permenant but he does not think so because of the type of trauma (blunt from being knocked in the noodle by the big, hard headed lab). I think she'll be ok. It was a lesson for everyone, both the owner of that yellow lab and for me. The owner of the lab will never bring balls to the park again, and I know that Cassie is not the roughest dog that I thought she was. I will be more careful too. Thanks for the support. You all are great.

Gio
03-19-2001, 07:08 AM
I only read about Cassie today, since I have no access to a PC over the weekend.

I am so sorry I really do hope she will get better soon, I'll be thinking of you. I am sure thought that she will find comfort in having you near her all the time.

Take care
Gio

RachelJ
03-19-2001, 08:27 AM
You think you know how much you love your dog until something like this happens and then you realize the extent of that love and how painful her pain can be to you.

It does sound like she is getting better and it is time that heals these type of wounds. I imagine the antibiotic was a big old pill and sometimes those are a challenge for anybody to get down.

Love and kisses (human and doggie) to Cassie, sweet little puglet, from Rachel, Tucker, and Hannah. Hannah says very special treats make a dog feel better.

Karen, the situation your family went through was heart-wrenching. I've always wondered if animal hospitals were even staffed over-night when they have patients.

KYS
03-19-2001, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs:
back to emergency we went. They said that they think she'll recover 100% within a couple days. >>>>>>>>>

Now that's Great news. I am glad I read your post before going to work.
Give her plenty of hugs from all of us. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

wolflady
03-19-2001, 12:26 PM
So sorry to hear about your sweet little puglet, Cassie! This was shocking news to read after being away for the weekend. I sure hope that she recovers soon! I can imagine how frightening this was/is for your family! RachelJ is right, you sometimes don't realize how much you love your pet until something happens to them. I know I was so terrified when my cat started vomiting blood after getting routine shots! I felt so helpless and all I could do was sit on the floor and cry and pet him during his bouts. The vet didn't seem concerned and said it was like a reaction that a human would get to a tetnus shot. Now, that seems a little more serious than that to me!! He's fine now, but I sure did have quite a scare!! I'm just wondering now if I ever want to take him for shots after that experience!
I'm glad the lady with the lab took responsibility for her dog's actions (like an owner should), but I do agree that if she knew her dog was toy aggressive, that it shouldn't have been allowed off leash or around other dogs. Like Aly said, that's definitly an accident waiting to happen, and poor Cassie got caught in the middle! Give her puppy kisses and purrs from my babies. We're thinking about you!
Karen, what a devastating thing to happen. Especially for it being a "non life threatening" injury. So sorry for the all-to-soon loss of your pet. I'm glad Cassie can recover in the presence of her family.

karen israel
03-19-2001, 12:55 PM
Oh Leslie, I feel so bad for being so late in responding to you. Poor lil Cassie! Her poor lil face! I've been accidently head butted by my Cody (lab mix)and I thought he broke my nose-all over a tennis ball!!! At least the owner took responsibility but I'm sure feels terrible. Your poor sweetheart had no idea what happened. I totally understand what you went through. I hope by this time, the Cassie-girl is feeling better. Poor lil smooch face!! Give her zillions of teensy kisses from me and a tender lick from my Cody. We'll continue to say a prayer for you all!! xoxoxox

shais_mom
03-19-2001, 02:46 PM
Poor little Cassie girl!! I hope she gets better. Give the little pug face kisses from me and Shaianne!

jackiesdaisy1935
03-19-2001, 05:08 PM
I'm so glad the Vet said Cassie should be 100%, but I'm sure it will take time for the healing, give her a kiss from Perry and Daisy.
I think dog parks are a wonderful place to bring your dogs like Cassie and all the dog friendly pets. I think people ought to be aware of how their dog would react in certain situations as with Cassie and the dog who is so protective of his or her ball.
We took Perry and Daisy to the dog park in Palm Springs, it was enclosed for small dogs and they would not get along with any other dog or any children. We have tried to socialize them, but when the two of them are together we are afraid they will attack. My point is that you should know what your dog is capable of and if they are like Perry and Daisy, you just don't take them to a dog park. Now we take them to out of the way parks with hardly any people in them and let them run on a long leash. They love that.
But we are very careful with them around other dogs or children, Schnauzers can be cranky and only love their family and close friends, but they are the sweetest most loving dogs with us.

tatsxxx11
03-19-2001, 05:54 PM
So glad to hear that the bleeding has subsided and the vet has given you such a positive prognosis and that she is beginning to heal. Very sad that the poor little pugster has to experience the pain, though. We all feel so helpless at those times, especially with our voicless "kids." Please hug her for me and give her a kiss anywhere she's not hurting! We are thinking of you and the brave, brave little Cassie. Love Sandra, Cody and Star

AdoreMyDogs
03-19-2001, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Today is a bit better then yesterday but I let her out of her little tiny cage because she was giving me the most pittiful little cries...I felt TERRIBLE keeping her all alone in that little cage so I took her out and set her next to me on the couch so she could get some snuggle time and she began to choke again. She just can't come out of that cage until she's 100%, no matter how bad it makes us feel. We just have to be strong and resist letting those soft, pittiful cries get to us. Other then the constant choking, she seems better. I just hope that choking goes away. It's a scary thing and I know it scares her too (and Graham). Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the good wishes. All of that positive energy that you have all created may be helping my little muchkin heal and begin to breath normal (as normal as a pug can breath) again. You are all so kind and understanding.

Angels3
03-19-2001, 07:04 PM
I'm so glad that Cassie is gradually getting better. But what a painful time the little mite has had.
We have lots of leash-free dogs areas in our city, but owners of small dogs are using them less often. There have been too many incidents where bigger dogs have hurt (in one case, killed) smaller dogs. It's just that smaller dogs have less weight & protection if a bigger dog has a 'go' at them...even if it's just happy play. So it's not a case of putting down bigger dogs as awful & aggressive or savage or anything. The smaller dog is just physically more vulnerable in any rough & tumble socialization with a much larger dog.
Please keep us up-to-date on Cassie's progress.

Genia
03-19-2001, 09:04 PM
It must be awful not being able to cuddle her when she whines! I'm glad things are looking up for sweet little Cassie.

I have to wonder, like everyone else, why the owner had the tennis ball if she knew her dog was possessive. I agree with Jackie; if you know your pet has a tendency to behave in an agressive or negative manner you should take precautions to ensure it doesn't happen. By allowing the tennis ball the behavior was practically invited.

Little Cassie is in my thoughts. Jeffrey, Bandit, Kelsey and I send many sweet kisses and tender hugs your way. (Bandit, little puglet, snort-filled kisses and Jeffrey, big, sloppy kisses http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif)

Margrete
03-19-2001, 11:42 PM
So sorry to hear about poor little Cassie - am glad that she seems to be improving. I have a miniature Schnauzer and always keep my eyes peeled for bigger dogs when she is in the park, especially since her best friends are much bigger neighbor dogs - a huge Rottie (120 lbs) and a Belgian Shepherd - so she tends to be foolhardy when she meets bigger dogs - who may or may not be friendly!!

It is nice to hear that the owner was so responsible - that doesn't always happen.

I will keep your baby in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us up to date on her progress.

tatsxxx11
03-21-2001, 02:53 PM
How is the little Cassie puglet doing? I hope she is improving. How is the gagging and bleeding? Is she eating and drinking? I do hope she is able to spend some time out of the crate cudddling with her mom and getting all that love I know you want to share with her. Please give her a million tiny little kisses for me and Cody and Star. Haven't been able to stop thinking about you guys. Love.

Sudilar
03-21-2001, 03:03 PM
Hope Cassie is feeling better today. Keep us posted, please? We care! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Pam
03-21-2001, 10:26 PM
Leslie, I have had Cassie on my mind today too and am wondering how she is doing. Hope you will have good news to report next time you post. Kisses to little Cassie from me and Bella! (woof! woof!)

AdoreMyDogs
03-22-2001, 07:00 AM
Hi everyone,

Cassie is doing so much better. I actually took her on a little walk last night after work. She was snorting more then usual, so we did not venture far, but she got a chance to strech her legs...and the best news of all....I put her cage away last night too http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif She is still making more noise then she used to but I called the vet and they said in a week her breathing should be 100% back to normal. They said that the inflamation is going down and that she's ok to be out of her cage now. She's a happy little pugglet http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif She took the whole accident so well. She did not fuss too much about being in the cage, and she rested alot so she could heal quicker.

I appreciated all the prayers and good wishes. I am sure all that positive energy helped my little baby make it through this scary accident. Cassie wiggles her short little body and lets out a happy snort to thank you for being so supportive.

Bless you all.

Gio
03-22-2001, 08:41 AM
Wonderful news! I bet you are relieved as well, must have been awful for you. Give her a big kiss from me.
Gio

RachelJ
03-22-2001, 08:41 AM
As our Aussie Pet Talkers would say....

Good on you, Cassie.

karen israel
03-22-2001, 09:45 AM
Good, sweet, little patient puglet angel! Cody and I are sooo happy you are out of your cage and doing better!! Sounds like you need MORE "make it better" kisses, so here they come!! xoxoxoxoxoxo

wolflady
03-22-2001, 02:59 PM
Great news!! We are all so happy that Cassie is better and out of her cage! What a relief that is. What a good patient girl http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Still sending lots o' hugs and kisses!

tatsxxx11
03-22-2001, 05:08 PM
Oh, oh, oh, the little precious Cassie puglet lamby girl is out of her cage! What great news. I'm so glad the little angel girl can get all the hugs and kisses and love she can take. Hopefully each day her breathing will improve as the swelling goes down. What a brave little patient and a brave, brave mom! Love you Cassie girl. You wiggle that beautiful pug butt, girl!!!

Genia
03-22-2001, 05:21 PM
Great news! I'm so glad little Cassie is better. Bandit and all of us send hugs and kisses.

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited March 22, 2001).]

Angels3
03-22-2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
As our Aussie Pet Talkers would say....

Good on you, Cassie.

RachelJ, how thoughtful of you to do some 'aussie talk'! That makes me feel so welcome. I'm learning some american expressions, too. Among my best teachers of 'american talk' are the Cinders & Smoke stories & all the US Pet Talkers' responses to them.
Just a tip how to talk 'super aussie'. Australians always cut down words & phrases to the barest minimum. Like 'barbecue' is 'barbie'. So when we say 'Good on you!', we often cut it to 'Onya!' So 'Onya, RachelJ, for making people from Down Under feel welcome & included'.
That's also why we call Australia 'Oz' (it's how the first syllable, 'Aus', sounds.)

sammi
03-22-2001, 07:59 PM
Angels3, Teach us more! This is intresting to learn about. Thank you!

Angels3
03-22-2001, 08:41 PM
sammi, there's a dictionary of 'aussie talk' at http://members.tripod.com/thisthat/slang.html
It's based on adult speech so if you're a young person, you might like to check out with your parent or teacher if that site is suitable for you.
I sometimes use a British-American dictionary to work out some of the words in the Cinders & Smoke stories (which I love!)
Back to the sweet Cassie. I'm so pleased that things are looking better. It was such a worrying time for a while.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited March 22, 2001).]

wolflady
03-23-2001, 12:59 PM
In response to Cassie's recovery, "She'll be apples!!!" This is "everything will be ok" in Aussie speak! Thanks for the Aussie dictionary. This is a very interesting and fun topic to learn about. It's neat to learn about our friends from different countries, and some of the different phrases they have. Is there and English (England) dictionary similar to this one?? Maybe Carrie can help us out with that one http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

tatsxxx11
03-23-2001, 04:10 PM
Dear Adore... How is little Cassie doing? Hope the breathing is better and that her activity level is increasing, eating well, drinking etc. Please give the pug-pie a big kiss and hug. Always thinking of her.

Pam
03-23-2001, 07:30 PM
Still thinking of Cassie too! Hope she is feeling more like her old self! Give her a kiss and a hug from me. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Daisy's Mom
03-24-2001, 10:25 AM
How is Cassie doing? Kisses from me and Daisy! I am going to be more careful with her around big dogs. Her best friend is a huge yellow lab named Sammy and she was also friends with Joey, a Bernese Mountain dog, now at the Rainbow Bridge. She thinks all big dogs are her friends like the others!

tatsxxx11
03-24-2001, 05:28 PM
Thinking of you little Cassie. Hope you are up and about. Please let us know you are OK. We all do worry! Hugs precious pug muffin.

AdoreMyDogs
03-24-2001, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone. Cassie is still breathing different and more loudly and congested then normal but she's maybe 80-85% healed I hope. I hear a choke out of her every now and then when she just gets too excited, but other then that she's doing OK. I took her to the dog park today...I was nervous and very over protective and watchful, but I wanted her to be able to get back out there where she can have fun. She normally used to absolutely LOVE the dog park and I don't want to keep that from her just because she's a short stuff...so we went. She's pretty afraid of the dogs now. She's deffinatelly been traumatized and her actions around the other dogs were much different. She pretty much stayed away from the other dogs and hung by me the whole time. I think she'll kick out of her fear and begin to play with the dog park doggies again, but for now she's not quite ready. She knows that she's vulnerable and she was in such bad pain and so afraid that it might take awhile to get her to have fun at the dog park again.

I hope my little short-stuff will forget about her accident and enjoy runnin' with the big dogs again. She's mamma's brave lil' girl.

By the way, it is 1 week ago from Sunday that Cassie was injured. I am calling the vet on Monday to see if it's normal for her to still be congested, snorting more and choking occationally. I am hoping that her injuries are not perminant. I will not take her to the dog park on Sunday, as that's the busiest day with the most dogs.

[This message has been edited by AdoreMyDogs (edited March 25, 2001).]

Angels3
03-25-2001, 12:05 AM
Thank you for the update on Cassie. Please let us know what the vet says.

Genia
03-25-2001, 12:19 AM
I'm glad Cassie is up and around. You're right she'll probably nervous for a while. Keep us posted.

sammi
03-25-2001, 02:49 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted on Cassie. Happy to hear she is some better - have fun in the park today!

RachelJ
03-25-2001, 09:17 AM
Don't be too impatient for Cassie to get back to normal. Remember this hit her in her most vulnerable spot. My recollection may not be correct on this but she's not real young either, right?? It takes us *more mature* girls a little longer to recoup. Just give her the time she needs and I bet there is more recovery coming. Love to all of you.

tatsxxx11
03-29-2001, 06:02 PM
How is the Cassie girl? I hope that since we haven't heard from you in a few days, that you two are busy, out and about, and that she is steadily improving. Please let us know how the sweet pug-pie is doing. Lots of kisses and hugs. Sandra, Cody and Star

AdoreMyDogs
03-29-2001, 10:00 PM
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for asking about Cassie. I am pretty sure she's close to 100% now. She was great through the whole thing and I am proud of her. I have not been on the board much these past couple of days because my mother-in-law just passed away on Tuesday. She had been in a nursing home for a couple of months but she was very stable, her death was very quick and not very painful. She had a heart anurism (sp?). Her funeral's tomorrow. She was the best mother-in-law I could have asked for and she will be missed. The dogs have just not gotten much attention this week that's for sure. I think they understand though. Although I have not had time to walk the dogs I am beginning to think Cassie's breathing may be back to normal now. I sure hope so. I have been keeping such a close eye on her and listening so careful to her snorts to find any excess fluid. She's a bit more congested but I rarely notice it now. The healthy lil pugster.

Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it. I'll give Cassie and Graham a kiss on their soft, sweet noses for you.

Genia
03-29-2001, 10:25 PM
I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law. My sincerest condolences to you, your husband and family.

Logan
03-29-2001, 10:28 PM
Leslie,
I am so sorry to hear about your mother in law. Death is such a hard thing. I am so glad to hear that she didn't suffer.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I certainly am glad that Cassie is doing much better. I know that warms your heart.

Please come to us if you need to "unload".
Logan

Sudilar
03-29-2001, 10:32 PM
My deepest sympathy goes out to you, your husband and family.
Sue

jackiesdaisy1935
03-30-2001, 08:38 AM
So sorry, and Deepest Sympathy to you and your family.

RachelJ
03-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Leslie, You have certainly had some stresses to deal with. My heart goes out to you and your husband in your loss.

Pam
03-30-2001, 06:55 PM
Leslie, I too am very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother-in-law. You have had some very rough going lately. Please know that we are all thinking of you at this very difficult time.

Daisy's Mom
04-01-2001, 07:54 PM
Hi Leslie. I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Our hearts go out to you. Go get some kisses from the doggies. They'll make you feel a little better. Hope Cassie is all better.

Angels3
04-01-2001, 07:59 PM
All our sympathies go out to you about your mother-in-law. I agree that some doggie cuddles can give the spirit strength in stressful times.

Gio
04-02-2001, 04:41 AM
I am so sorry about your loss.

tatsxxx11
04-02-2001, 04:57 AM
Oh Leslie. You have had so much to deal with these many several days. I am so, so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother-in-law. I know that now, more than ever, you will need the love of your family and the doggies. My most sincere and deepest sympathys. Love, Sandra

sammi
04-02-2001, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother-Inlaw. Hope things are going okay for you & your doggy is much better.

mruffruff
04-03-2001, 12:21 PM
So sorry for your loss.

AdoreMyDogs
04-06-2001, 07:53 AM
A brief update for the day...hubby and I are feeling better over the loss of his mother. Time heals all wounds. As for Cassie, I was brushing her teeth last night after work and one of her back molars wiggled when I dragged the toothbrush over it. It appears that because of the accident she did indeed crack a tooth and she has to get it taken out next week. I noticed that she still seemed to have pain in her mouth when she ate but because the vet told me she did not have any cracked teeth I trusted him....I will not take her or any of my pets to that emergency place again http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif ! They should have looked more throughlly. Poor little girl has had a cracked tooth rotting in her mouth all these weeks. She should be feeling so much better when she gets that tooth removed...hopefully http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif

wolflady
04-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Adore, so sorry for your family's loss and poor little Cassie with the cracked tooth! Ouch!! Be sure to give her some soft morsals for me:-) I'm sure she'll feel better when that's not bothering her anymore.
Thoughts to your family during this time of loss. I know it can be hard, so hang in there! Give Cassie and hug and kiss, and that little puglet face should help make you feel better.

karen israel
04-06-2001, 12:32 PM
Poor Leslie! Just as you are trying to heal all the wounds, sweet lil pugster needs to have a tooth removed! How lucky that you noticed it, even so much later. I know what you mean about vets. I love my animal hospital but only like to see 2 specific vets. When Cody had ACL, the vet I accepted in the emergency, diagnosed his hips, which are bad, but that wasn't it and I kept telling him that. So poor pup suffered needlessly in pain for another week before properly diagnosed. I needed a vet in an emergency last month and the nasty man was available right away (yeah, I guess so)but opted to wait 30 min for the one I like. I stopped beating myself up since I had to do something in an emergency, and I didn't know, so now you have to handle dear Cassie's tooth with the vet you like. I love the way we "know" our pets, every move, every hair folicle, every reaction to something. Glad you noticed the tooth before it got worse. Poor lil thing has been thru so much these last few weeks. I think of you constantly since my neighbor as a pug-boy!

AdoreMyDogs
04-13-2001, 07:03 AM
My poor little pugglet had her surgery yesterday to remove the tooth that was cracked from the accident and, because the vet I am taking her to now is so wonderful and thorough, I learned that she has a degenerative eye problem, a severe ear infection, and she had a whopping 8 teeth removed because they were rotting out of her mouth! No wonder she had such dragon breath! She's doing great now, she's on all kinds of pain killers because of so many extractions, but other then that she's great http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I love the vet that I am taking her to now. They saw the eye problem in an instant, and although there is no cure, they gave us ointment to put in her eyes twice a day for the rest of her life to slow her eyes down from going completely blind. No other vet she was going to before even thought to look in her eyes!

That little dog has quite the stack of meds now http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I should get a new medicine cabinet installed just for her meds http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Pam
04-13-2001, 07:38 AM
Poor little Cassie! It seems that things just go from bad to worse for her. What a sweetie to be such a cheerful little girl with all of that trouble brewing in her mouth. And her poor little eyes! You would certainly have thought that would have been picked up before. I am so glad you have finally found a vet that seems to be on his toes. I guess it's soft food now for Cassie at least for a little while. Did she lose some of her back molars?

When my dog, Ashley, was spayed (at 6 months of age) as she was coming out of the anesthesia she bit the wire in the cage at the vets and broke off two of her front teeth. They didn't break at the gumline, but halfway up the tooth. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif The vet did a "wait and see" approach. He said if this happened to a human we would have needed to have them extracted immediately or preferably root canals done. He said dogs handle pain much better than we do and she may be fine. He told me to look for lack of appetite or drooling. Neither happened so we just let the teeth be. She lived 14 years and was actually a tad overweight when she died so I guess he was right. Here's hoping Cassie wasn't having too much pain. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited April 13, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited April 13, 2001).]

tatsxxx11
04-13-2001, 07:43 AM
Wow!! Poor little baby should get a medal for being the BRAVEST of pug patients! What a difference it can make in going to the right vet. One with the time, caring, concern, desire to look and listen and the KNOWLEDGE to care for our kids the way they should be cared for. I know I'm a big mouth pain at the vet, but tough!! Our kids can't speak for themselves; we are their voices. And maybe, as they say, there is a reason for everything. Oh gosh, I hope I say this correctly. You know I would NEVER wish that anything so traumatic would EVER happen to ANY of our pups, but...Perhpas if little Cassie had not gotten her head slamMED, these other issues would never have been addressed! You are such a good mama. My best wishes and big hugs and kisses to the sweetest, bestest, dearest little Cassie girl. I don't know if I would have been as brave as she! 8 extractions....OUCH!! Thinking of you both, and keep us up to date! Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

tatsxxx11
04-16-2001, 03:31 PM
How is Cassie doing? Is she eating yet and off the pain killers? Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you both. Hugs to the puglet.
Sandra

AdoreMyDogs
04-17-2001, 09:04 AM
Thanks for asking, she's doing great. Her breath is so nice, and she can yawn in our faces, and give us kisses now without chasing us out of the room with her rotton dragon breath http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif She's on her last day of antibiotics and pain killers. She still gets water in her hard food to make it soft but starting next week we are going to stop with the water and see how she does with crunchy food. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
04-17-2001, 10:12 AM
Yay Leslie! So glad lil puglette is doing better! It is so amazing how resilent they are-they're like rubber balls, they bounce back amazingly! My neighbor's 2 yr old puppy pug has the same eye problem and the vet thinks his boo-boo eyesight is cloudy, but he is the happiest, friendliest, cutest little guy and doesn't seemed to be bothered by blurry eyesight at all!! How wonderful you found a vet you love. They are just like people doctors, you have to be selective and satisfied, it's your pet's health and your money! Cassie girl should be much more comfortable now. What a strong, brave lil Sweetie. I'm so proud of her! You sound just like me, the after effect is exhausting! I order you to take the day off and chill with pups wrapped in your arms and a smile on your face! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif love. karen & Cody

jackiesdaisy1935
04-17-2001, 10:31 AM
So glad to hear Cassie is doing so well. That's a lot of teeth to come out, what a brave little girl. Will she be able to eat hard food after with so many teeth out? Have you ever tried "Natures receipe" canned food for adult dogs, it has carrots and potatoes in it, Daisy loves it and I get it at
Petsmart. You must be relieved that Cassie's problems are all behind her now and she can get on with being a happy little girl.

Logan
04-17-2001, 12:04 PM
Oh Leslie, that is good news! I'm so glad Cassie is doing better...I know her incident was a terrible thing, but if it helped her in the long run, how wonderful! Good breath, feeling better...what more could you ask!
Hope all the days going forward are good ones. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif
Logan

Sudilar
04-17-2001, 05:31 PM
Great to hear that Cassie is doing better. How horrible to get 8 teeth pulled on top of all that has happened to her. I'm glad she's on the road to recovery and hope that she's all better soon.
Sue

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

Gio
04-19-2001, 07:59 AM
I only read about little Cassie today. I am glad she is feeling better. Give her a big kiss frome me too.