PDA

View Full Version : A new addition

M.a.m.a.s. Gurl 07
09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Today I was having a realy bad day. I was sent a little blessing earlier when i won a bunny . I named her Lily . I wanna bathe her but don't know much so if you can give me any advice I'd be very thankful:)

Kater
09-19-2003, 10:08 PM
How does one "win" a bunny? :confused:

As for giving a rabbit a bath....
"Although some bunnies grow up swimming in the family pool and going on camping trips where they paddle around in the lake, most rabbits are not used to this routine and would find even an occasional bath quite stressful. NEVER-unless your veterinarian advises it to bring down a fever-should you give a sick rabbit a bath. Because seemingly healthy rabbits can have undiagnosed problems, it's best not to subject them to the stress of a bath. If your rabbit is very badly infested with fleas, there's a good chance that he is already compromised and may go into shock when bathed. Also, a thoroughly wet rabbit takes a very long time to dry, so spot cleaning the dirty area is better than an over-all bath. Normal rabbit body temperature is 102. Since they are subject to heat stress, use a warm dryer, not hot."
This information is from http://www.rabbit.org
The House Rabbit Society's page is a great resource and if you haven't researched bunny care you should start ASAP! Diet is especially important!!!

Aspen and Misty
09-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Aww congrats!!!

I have 2 wonderful bunnies named Tyah and Julian! I love them to death!

teh house Rabit Society has good information.

What kind of bunny? Where are the pics?

What are you feeding her? What are you keeping her in? How did you win her?

I don't think people shoudl eb aloud to win such animals as bunnies. They are a BIG responsibty I hope your up for it! I spend 6 and a half hours of my weekend cleaning cages alone!

Bunnies need at least 2 horus of out of cage time everday. You're going to need to bunny proof your home. How old is your bunny? Depending on age you'll need to feed either Alpaha Hay or timothy hay. A bunnies diet should consist manly of hay and if under a year pellets. Bunnies can be litter trained and I highly recomend it! Both of mine are and it's wonderful.

Any thing else you wanna know just ask.

Ash

Aspen and Misty
09-19-2003, 10:12 PM
http://www.rabbit.org/

Ash

M.a.m.a.s. Gurl 07
09-19-2003, 10:16 PM
You know that Goldfish game well it was the bunny game . I had a rabbit whun i was little . I love her. right now she's in a bx but tommorrow I'll put her in a Big crate. They gave me pellets I'm taking her to a woman to see if she can tell me her age and what kind she is. How do u Bunny proof a house? I'm gonna try & litter train her.do i use cat litter?

Aspen and Misty
09-19-2003, 10:18 PM
WTF!!!

A goldfish game!!!! O I have a few choice words for those IDIOTS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Poor rabbits!!!!!!

Ash :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aspen and Misty
09-19-2003, 10:30 PM
I personally use Kay coble. I am in the process of Traing Tyah buit she is doing WONDERFULLY. I put there hay in the litter pan as a treat for them so they can eat and do there buisness at the same time. A good thing to watch for is what corner they go to the bathroom the most in. Then move there litter pan there.

I posted in Pet Health some other tips that might help you out!

Ash

M.a.m.a.s. Gurl 07
09-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks that website is great! At least Lily will have a good home she's asleep in my arms she's been checking out her new "bunny proof " home.lol.

wolf_Q
09-20-2003, 12:26 AM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34487

If your mom is always getting rid of your pets, why did you just bring another pet into your home? :confused: :(

zippy-kat
09-20-2003, 12:30 AM
You WON a bunny?! :eek:

Out of curiousity, what does your mom have to say about this? And how are you going to keep your great dane away from the rabbit? Are you taking steps to protect the bunny from the other animals?

I agree with Wolf_Q on this one.

Desert Arabian
09-20-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by M.a.m.a.s. Gurl 07
Today I was having a realy bad day. I was sent a little blessing earlier when i won a bunny . I named her Lily . I wanna bathe her but don't know much so if you can give me any advice I'd be very thankful:)

Did you happen to do any research on rabbits before you decided to play a game where you win a living, breathing, needing creature? :confused: You should NEVER get an animal without doing research on the animal specie.

Poor rabbits, I feel so bad for those bunnies. So sad and disgusting. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aspen and Misty
09-20-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
You WON a bunny?! :eek:

Out of curiousity, what does your mom have to say about this? And how are you going to keep your great dane away from the rabbit? Are you taking steps to protect the bunny from the other animals?

I agree with Wolf_Q on this one.

Good points! I take drastic measueres when it comes to my small animals. Like, the dogs aren't aloud in the house AT ALL when a door to the small animal room is open. That means before I open the door the dogs have to go outside and then I can get into the room. Even just to change water I do this. Or even just (cause they are in my bed room) to grab something like a coat. It's a hassle, but well worth it!!!

I don't, peronsally, think you have thought this over enough. I did 4 months of research before even ASKING for a bunny. It then took me anothwer 2 months to convince my parents to get me one.

Ash :(

M.a.m.a.s. Gurl 07
09-20-2003, 05:17 PM
My mom doesn't care the bunny stays in my room, along with my bird & hamster,and my dog is outside. I've researched some and I'm gonna try to do my very best to prove you all wrong, i don't mean that to be mean but i really love her and am going to be the best mom I can!

wolf_Q
09-20-2003, 11:40 PM
And you really think living outside is the best home possible for your dog too? :(

Amber
09-21-2003, 10:45 AM
and my dog is outside

That is NOT a safe home for any animal to live in!! :mad:
If you read my Banner..It says "Strong or Weak, Large or small, The World outdoors can hurt THEM ALL! Please keep your pets indoors!!" please keep your dog or any animal indoors.

luckies4me
09-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Well I find it incredibly rude for a dog to be locked up inside all day! How do you know her dog is outside all day long? Not all dogs like to be inside all day and most large breeds should have out of the house time daily. A backyard can be a safe place, as long as the dog is trained, there is a high enough fence to prevent jumping and the animal is watched. A lot of dogs stay outside during the day because they like it.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-21-2003, 08:27 PM
My dogs are indoor/outdoor. They come inside to play, sleep and lounge around but they are NOT strictly indoor dogs. When I'm away at school and no one is home, we leave them outside. They have plenty of toys to play with, and they love to explore the backyard. It's not wrong to keep a dog outside sometimes, but leaving it out there 24/7 is not right.

luckies4me
09-21-2003, 08:34 PM
It's not wrong to keep a dog outside sometimes, but leaving it out there 24/7 is not right.

Yes that is obvious. But when did she say her dog was outside ALL DAY LONG??? She never said that so we must stop jumping to conclusions. It is not wrong to keep a dog outdoors for *part* of the day.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Yes that is obvious. But when did she say her dog was outside ALL DAY LONG??? She never said that so we must stop jumping to conclusions. It is not wrong to keep a dog outdoors for *part* of the day.

I never said she kept her dog outside all day long.

luckies4me
09-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Not you, but some other people were acting as if her dog was outside 24/7

Sorry if I confused you! :o

GoldenRetrLuver
09-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Lol, it's okay. :) But, I agree we shouldn't assume things that we're not sure are true or not.

green_chameleon_girl
09-23-2003, 07:47 PM
I read an artical about rabbits that you can win in fairs and stuff. It said they dont care for them! :( Its disgusting! The poor things dont derserve to suffer! If I could I would take all the rabbits feed them care for them and when they were in really good shape I would sell them to good loving homes! For now when Im at fairs and I want to play games I stick to the TOYS! You never know because the animals they could have diseases, sicknesses health problems anything! Poor Things!:(

On the bright side..
Congrats to your new addition!:)