PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever read this book?

Kirsten
09-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Solo's Journey by Joy Smith Aiken

"From Publishers Weekly
The territory held by old feline warrior Dom Bryndle, called a Quorum, is home to a well-disciplined tribe of feral stray cats and one wet-bottomed kitten named Solo. On the other side of the Great Fence live the Owners, a carelessly cruel breed useful mainly for the "grail" they discard, for the ferals have forgotten the ways of wild cats and come to depend on the Owners for survival. Solo feels the tug of the old ways, and heeding the voice that speaks within him, he reluctantly accepts the mantle of leadership. After saving his fellow Quorum members from the final depredations of the Owners, he leads them on a perilous journey to a promised land where all can live free and wild. Although it clearly follows in the footsteps of Watership Down, this slim first novel is so syrupy-sweet as to be almost indigestible. Aiken develops an imaginative language for her characters to speak, but stops short before creating an equally clever animal society, relying instead on a model that comes uncomfortably close to America in the 1950s.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc."

I have read it for the second time now (the first time was in the 80s), and I'm really amazed how quickly you adjust to see the world through a cat's eyes.... In fact, every time I was reading books like that, I find it harder to read books from the human perspective after that! LOL Maybe I was a feline in a former life! LOL

However, this story almost makes you feel bad to live with cats and force them to live in your environment, because the author is so much propagandizing cats should live totally independent from humans, in the wild.. Unfortunately, we all know this isn't so easy these days...

But it's so easy to fall in love with the little hero Solo and all his friends, and you start missing them when you've finished reading the book... :)

Does anyone know this book? And if not, did you read any other books from a cat's perspective?

Kirsten

bisi.cat
09-19-2003, 12:54 PM
I've just read it recently and loved it!!!

It's so sad, but it shows how feral cats feel about us humans when they've lost trust in us...but it's written very well and I can highly recommend it for a cold autumn day on the couch...;)

Kirsten
09-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Yes, it IS sad... :( The humans are definitely the bad guys in that story... :(

Kirsten

BastetsMum
09-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Yes I have read it and found it most entertaining.

If you like those *through cats eyes books* try the Catswold portal books by Roeseau. They are excellent.

gini
09-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Kirsten, I haven't read that book, but I wanted to respond, because I would love to see more pictures of your kitties!

What great names they have.

tomkatzid
09-20-2003, 02:31 AM
just put a hold on it to be sent to my library.

Kirsten
09-20-2003, 05:38 AM
If you like those *through cats eyes books* try the Catswold portal books by Roeseau. They are excellent.

Ahhh, thanks, sounds good! :)

Kirsten

gini
09-20-2003, 08:29 AM
Kirsten, I must have been tired and didn't notice your websites.

I have just checked them both out. Lily has just captured my heart.

Now, I will go back and check on these books.

Kirsten
09-20-2003, 04:24 PM
Thanks for visiting my pages! :)

And Lily says "hi" to you! :)

Kirsten

tomkatzid
10-19-2003, 12:16 PM
I finished reading it last week. It has stayed on my mind all this week. It is such a hard life for the kits out there. At first I wasn't sure if I could keep reading, it was just so sad. But at 1/4 the way through I said I must keep going and I am so glad I did. Great book. Thanks so much for let us know about it.
Katz

luckies4me
10-19-2003, 08:22 PM
I haven't read this book but I have read TailChasers song, and I loved it. It's one of my favorite books. :)

tomkatzid
10-19-2003, 09:03 PM
OK, I just put a hold on that one. Is it a kids book? At first that was what I thought Solo's Journey was going to be, but I don't really think it is just for kids.

Barbara
10-20-2003, 03:02 AM
I have read this book and I liked it but I also thought it made the life of feral cats seem more self defined and romantic as it is in reality. But that's normal for a book.

For real life I still think that the work of people like K&L helps the feral cats to lead a much better life.

The book BTW is not a children's book -it has some tough parts too. It is a kind of feral cats fantasy book for grown ups.

Filou's first name from the woman where he was born was Solo after this book but I didn't think that fitted very well as he wouldn't live alone. :)