PDA

View Full Version : You think you have a lot of pets?

PJ's Mom
09-18-2003, 08:25 AM
From this site:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&ncid=583&e=5&u=/nm/20030918/od_nm/dogs_dc

These people in London were raided by the SPCA and had over 200 dogs and other animals in their home.

Gee. :eek:

Pam
09-18-2003, 09:21 AM
:eek: :eek: I just saw on Animal Precinct a few days ago a similar story, but the man involved only had cats, but there were about 240 of them!! It took Animal Control over two days with several people working to catch them all. Sadly they were all going to be euthanized. The man had actually moved out of his house and was living in his garage! :eek: Obviously these people desperately need counseling and therapy because they not "normal' to say the least.

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2003, 11:23 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Poor animals, poor people. And I mean POOR as in no money for the people. Imagine having to feed that many! :eek:

Hopefully they all will go to homes where they can get indevdual (sp) attention.

Ash

Twisterdog
09-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Animal Collection is a physchological disease. People who collect animals need professional mental help services. They truly cannot help themselves, anymore than an obsessive/compulsive person can just stop washing their hands hundreds of times per day, or a kleptomaniac can just stop stealing. Just taking away the current pets and/or fining them is not going to solve the problem in any way in the long run.

ChrisH
09-19-2003, 05:11 AM
PJ`s Mom, I hadn`t seen this thread when I started my similar thead in General. :o Sorry.

Originally posted by Twisterdog
..... Just taking away the current pets and/or fining them is not going to solve the problem in any way in the long run.
I agree!
In addition to fines and such, what the RSPCA hope to get from court actions against people such as this couple, is a life-long ban in having custody of any animals. As was imposed in this different but awful case.

Life bans for dog cruelty. (http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=RSPCA/News/NewsFeature&articleid=1061194981602&newsmode=normal&marker=1)

PJ's Mom
09-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
PJ`s Mom, I hadn`t seen this thread when I started my similar thead in General. :o Sorry.

No problemo. :D

wolfsoul
09-19-2003, 11:47 AM
That's terrible. :(

Is the RSPCA the same as the SPCA? Because they said that this was the biggest seizure, and I know that the Kelowna SPCA had an even bigger one. From one place, they rescued over 200 dogs, over 144 puppies, some horses and a donkey. :eek:

ChrisH
09-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Is the RSPCA the same as the SPCA? Because they said that this was the biggest seizure, and I know that the Kelowna SPCA had an even bigger one. From one place, they rescued over 200 dogs, over 144 puppies, some horses and a donkey. :eek:
Wow, that is a lot of creatures! How awful! :(

In answer to your question, no, the RSPCA isn`t the same. It is just in the UK. It was launched as a SPCA in 1824 and then 1840 Queen Victoria gave permission to add the Royal. They do however have association with a number of overseas animal charities, but none, as far as I know, in the USA and just the one in Canada, Ontario SPCA.

kingrattus
09-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Poor animals & ppl.. Something like that happend near my current place a weel before I moved in.. A guy had over 60 diff kinds of odd animals & a few were endangered!! it also included dogs. This is a very rich neighbourhood, so it was something no one expected in an area like this... it was the smell that led cops to the door

wolfsoul
09-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Wow, that is a lot of creatures! How awful! :(

In answer to your question, no, the RSPCA isn`t the same. It is just in the UK. It was launched as a SPCA in 1824 and then 1840 Queen Victoria gave permission to add the Royal. They do however have association with a number of overseas animal charities, but none, as far as I know, in the USA and just the one in Canada, Ontario SPCA.

Thanks for the info! :)

Yes, it was terrible. :( It was a puppy mill. :mad:

zanzanfergie
09-20-2003, 02:05 AM
There's also the RSPCA in Australia. ;) Heehee, I have knowledge.

ChrisH
09-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
There's also the RSPCA in Australia. ;) Heehee, I have knowledge.
Yep, you are right, three associates in Australia. RSPCA Victoria Inc in, in, of course, Victoria, :) RSPCA Western Australia in Cannington and RSPCA Burnie Branch Inc in Tasmania.
New Zealand has three also. Royal New Zealand SPCA Canterbury in Christchurch, Royal New Zealand SPCA Inc at New Lynn Auckland and SPCA Auckland Inc at Mangere Auckland. :D

Chris

lv4dogs
09-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Damn stupid people. Uuurrggg :mad: makes me mad.

I DID think I had a lot of pets, not no more LOL

Heather Wallace
09-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
From this site:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&ncid=583&e=5&u=/nm/20030918/od_nm/dogs_dc

These people in London were raided by the SPCA and had over 200 dogs and other animals in their home.

Gee. :eek:

It was actually in the Northwest of England not London, I saw this on the news, it was terrible and some of the animals where in a bad way.