PDA

View Full Version : Another sad story

Genia
12-23-2000, 12:01 AM
Sometimes I don't think I can read another sad story, but this is ridiculous. I got this from a local television station's on line news.

The Harrison county Humane Society is being overrun with animals. Earlier this week, in just a day and a half, 125 animals were dropped off for adoption.

Director Karen Sinopoli says a long breeding season certainly is a reason for so many animals, but there are other reasons. Some pet owners think because they can't or won't bring their pets inside during cold weather they can bring them here.

"We are having some people say they are taking time off and going out of town and giving up their pet," Sinopoli says. "That is really hard for us."

The Humane Society is not a boarding kennel. The harsh reality is, when it is full and pets are brought in, there is only one thing that can be done.

"If you leave it today, the decision is made immediately as to whether we have space for it. If we don't have space for it, we have to euthanize it," she says.

But, even after telling that to the many people who brought their pets to the Humane Society the other day, only one took the animal back home. So, what did the other people do?

"They left them, and unfortunately, there is a large expense in caring for all that."

The good news is, with an overflow of animals, this is a great time to adopt, and it's not too late for the holiday season.

"If this is the time, everyone is ready, to take up and be responsible for the pets care and upbringing, please come and adopt one of our pets."

Pam
12-23-2000, 07:10 AM
"We are having some people say they are taking time off and going out of town and giving up their pet," Sinopoli says. "That is really hard for us."

You really have to wonder how much these people really "LOVED???" their animals if they found it so easy to do that!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif Maybe some of them at least will be adopted by loving families and have a better life the second time around. For the others, we can only sigh...... So, so sad.....

carrie
12-23-2000, 08:12 AM
This makes me so angry I could spit!! We live in a throw away society and it seems that includes everything! Sadly it is the same the world over - there will be another influx of unwanted presents after Christmas.

lhg0962
12-23-2000, 11:23 AM
Amen, Carrie. What a said thing to hear, and imagine all the stuff we don't hear. So sad. I just can't imagine the mentality of people who invest in pets. Maybe its some sort of status symbol, but I take the responsibility seriously. My friends do too. If I didn't take it seriously, I'd be overrun with more animals that I could financially care for. Its unfortunate we can't do more for all of them. But until people learn to neuter pets, I guess we'll fight this battle.
I'm going to hug mine right now and tell them how grateful I am for them. Christmas is bittersweet, because it makes us thankful for what we have, but also sad for all the problems in the world.

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited December 23, 2000).]

carrie
12-23-2000, 12:16 PM
Logan, how true is that? I really do believe that the more people see through the media the easier it is to turn away. We become compassion fatigued and that is showing it's effects.