PDA

View Full Version : Boy, do I have a clever girl!!

Kirsten
09-17-2003, 06:39 AM
Lily is not even 4 months old and she's already opening doors! Now I have to get new locks for my doors because mine don't have keys! (kitchen and bathroom are cat-free areas when I'm not around)

And she is stealing dry food out of the packings! She's doing it with her paw, she manages to pick up the food through the little opening.

She also tries to open the sliding door of the kitchen cabinet where the cat food is stored, and I'm afraid it's only just a question of time until she knows how to do that!

Luna never tried doing all these things!

Kirsten

Barbara
09-17-2003, 06:59 AM
My experience: A cat's intelligence is most developped when the cat likes food very much.
25 years ago I had 2 sisters Meo and Minouche. Minouche really liked food more than Meo and learned to open doors of rooms and cupboards and did many crazy things for food. One day we found her laying in a cheesecake crust. She had eaten all the cheese and made the tortellini in the crust:eek: :eek: :eek:

So Lily watch your slim line:D

catmandu
09-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Wow! That is a clever Cat! Thank God that my Cats cant do this as they would eat me out of house and home. Maybe you should get one of those Food Cannisters.

K & L
09-17-2003, 09:48 AM
I bet she could be toilet trained!!!

Kirsten
09-17-2003, 05:00 PM
She had eaten all the cheese and made the tortellini in the crust

Geez, Barbara, I bet your Minouche got a very upset stomach after that! :eek:

Your theory might be right, Lily is absolutely greedy for food and she eats EVERYTHING, while Luna doesn't care so much.

Luna is totally relying on me and knows she'll get what she needs, so she patiently waits... and she has always been like that, even as a kitten. But Lily is another story! :eek: Guess I have to be prepared for a lot of surprises here - and she's only 17 weeks old! :eek:

Kirsten

sasvermont
09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Miley actually brings bags of treats to me to open. She has been known to carry a can of opened cat food into the living room, to be fed!
:eek:

slick
09-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Speckles here:
While I do think you are very smart I have some advice to give you. As you grow up and train your hooman you will realize that you don't have to work for your dinner. As the servant, my Meowmie gives me anything I want and all I have to do is look at her. We princesses should not have to stoop to getting our own food. After all Lady Edwina and I agree that Royalty comes with certain privileges and when you have matured a bit you just might earn the title of HH (but don't tell Edwina.....):) :)

Fuzzy317
09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
We have those child safety locks on all our lower cabinet doors in the kitchen. They are great.

momofcats
09-17-2003, 08:16 PM
What is becoming, or should I say who is becoming, my outside cat is either (I think) both smart and spoiled.
She begs for food. Since she is nursing babies I feed her (I work from home so I am kind of able to do this) three times a day...breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Well, today I missed the lunch feeding. She stood at the front door on hind legs screaming for her lunch (you would have thought her babies were being kidnapped) .:rolleyes: Not to mention my inside cats and their reaction to this behavior.
I never even knew she seen me come out my front door...I always use the back so she would stay out of the front because of traffic....who has who trained?

krazyaboutkatz
09-17-2003, 11:24 PM
You may want to get some food storage lockers for the cat food. I use these so I don't ever have to worry about my cats getting into their food when I'm not here. It also keeps the food fresh and keeps bugs out too.
My cat Sky loves food so much that he'd find a way to get into it if I didn't store it like this. In fact, the second week that I had him, I had a bag of food left out, which was my RB Pepper's old food,and he managed to tear it open. Here's a picture of his destructive behavior.

krazyaboutkatz
09-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Here's a picture of two food storage containers that I use.

Kirsten
09-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Looks like I better get these storage containers for the cat food and child safety locks for my doors!

I still can't believe she's doing all that at this young age! LOL

KAK; I see your Sky must have been really hungry! :eek:

Kirsten

krazyaboutkatz
09-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten

KAK; I see your Sky must have been really hungry! :eek:

Kirsten Yes, he's always hungry. He has an eating behavioral problem so he's on a diet now. I used to free feed all of my cats but now I can't. I now feed them 2 times a day and I measure all of their food. So far it's working out well. :)

Killearn Kitties
09-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Souds as if that Lily is going to keep you on your toes! :D

IttyBittyKitty
09-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Smart girl! :D

Your Meowmie will have to watch out with you.

I once had a smart kitty, a fluffy tuxie girl named Tequila. She would get doors opened by twiddling the knobs. She was very clever, you had to be very careful when hiding food. Later in life, this fluffy beauty learnt that she needn't go to any effort - she was the Queen of the household so we were at her every beck and call!

Kirsten
09-19-2003, 11:50 AM
I once had a smart kitty, a fluffy tuxie girl named Tequila. She would get doors opened by twiddling the knobs. She was very clever, you had to be very careful when hiding food. Later in life, this fluffy beauty learnt that she needn't go to any effort - she was the Queen of the household so we were at her every beck and call!

Hmmm, I was already thinking about that , too! Maybe she will learn sooner or later that she won't have to "fight" for her food...

Kirsten