PDA

View Full Version : dog on the loose

shais_mom
12-19-2000, 10:21 AM
Help http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif
I adore my beautiful greyhound with all my heart but when she accidently gets loose it drives me crazy!!!
She has pulled apart a plastic buckle collar, slipped out of nylon metal collar, chewed apart her no-pull, pulled apart a choke collar and the recent escapade was when the ring on her martingale broke, and the chase is on!! I have recently started double collaring her when she is outside at my parents house. My dad has welded a 3/4" bolt onto her collar. The other day I was at my wits end and seriously considered taking her back to the Humane Society. And I have had her over a year. I feel like such a bad mom!! I was even afraid to voice those fears outloud, let alone type them. On another post I asked not to be kicked off!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Thanks for the support Rachel!!!
I have tried putting her out on a regular harness but then she just stands there and won't go potty.
I have talked to other greyhound owners and they say that no amount of training will help b/c their instinct is to run, and no matter the love they feel for their owner, they will run. And believe me she wants for nothing!!!
Due to finances I do not have a fenced in yard, but that doesn't seem to matter yet, I have intentions of getting one eventually. My dad thinks I should get an electronic collar for her but I am afraid that it would scare her and she would keep running!? And they are expensive too.
Thanks for all the input-- Happy Holidays!!

carrie
12-19-2000, 12:16 PM
Poor you, I know how much you love her and it must be very frustrating.

It is in a Greyhound to run and I feel it is vital that you find a safe place for her to do so. Greyhounds can be trained and can learn safe recall but their needs must be met for them to see you and the training as more rewarding than the run that they crave.
Try local riding schools and ask if there is any chance you can use their indoor school a couple of times a week. Dog classes will have found dog friendly premises that could be suitable for a run. Local kennels may also be able to help - how about the society you got her from? Maybe they have secure runs or fields she could run in?

Good luck with her, I know it would break your heart to lose her. Let us know how you get on.

RachelJ
12-19-2000, 02:14 PM
Having had raised two dogs that were trained to respond to verbal instructions and to stay in their yard when outside without supervision, I thought I was hot stuff at working with dogs....then came Hannah. I probably did more "right" in working and training Hannah than any other dog, but Hannah was sent here to make me humble. Hannah sees the neighborhood as a wonderful world of scents and sights that have been denied her. Given the opportunity, she's off to see the wizard! My husband and I have on several occasions been spotted running through the backyards of our neighborhood, leash and treat in hand, imploring our wayward girl to "come, Hannah, come." We'd get close, and then away she would dart. Fortunately her interest in other people helped to capture her a couple times as she would run up to the neighbor boy and he was able to grab her collar. Another time she just got so tired, she got into our vehicle for the ride home.
Even though we now have a fenced in yard and she gets plenty of exercise (always did as I would run her with a 20 foot lead dragging, so I could have a fighting chance if she started to take off), accidents do happen. The last time we were all in the garage waiting to go into the house and I accidently leaned on the garage door opener). By the time I stopped the garage door, she was gone. Tucker too but he came back when I called. I decided to take a different tact. Instead of chasing her, I got a leash and treats and sat on the front stoop. I saw her round the neighbors houses but she would come back to see where I was. It killed me (we don't have a busy street but there are cars) but I just sat there. It must have been less than five minutes and her journey was only around a couple houses across the street when she came back and walked right up to me. I showed her the treat and she let me take hold of her. Her other escapades with us chasing her had gone for several blocks and crossing several streets. This moral of this story is that in Hannah's case it appears that chasing her gave her the security to explore farther and farther. Without us "in sight" she wasn't quite as sure of herself.

Obviously I don't have the answer just my own observations. The fenced in yard cost a fortune, but it was the best money I have ever spent. You do get better at preventing accidents. I have yet to get her a micro chipped, but that too will come. You just do your very best by your girl. That is all anyone can do.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited December 19, 2000).]

Rottie
12-29-2000, 08:20 AM
Wow! My friend has a GSD that can get out of anything. They have to chain her because she can get out of her kennel. The other day she didn't slip her collar, or break the chain or the clip, but somehow, she got loose.

Good luck with your Greyhound, I'm sorry, but I'm lost for words!