PDA

View Full Version : Windows logon password?

Twisterdog
09-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know how to have a password pop up when you first turn on the computer, so that if one doesn't know the password, one cannot get on the computer at all?

I'm SO sick and tired of my son and his friends on my computer without my permission. They download stuff, install stuff ... and it's MY computer. Ggggrrrrrr....

Having a selfish mom moment ....

binka_nugget
09-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I think you go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Users>Then it should say password somewhere around there.

kingrattus
09-16-2003, 11:05 PM
When making the password, make sure ur son & his friend will never figure it out & then lock u out of ur own comp. ad numbers to it, that always works

Twisterdog
09-17-2003, 12:15 AM
I think you go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Users>Then it should say password somewhere around there.

I did that a few weeks ago, thinking that would solve the problem. But, when the window for my name and password come up on the screen, there is also a button that says "cancel". So, if you click on that cancel button, you can get right in anyway. :confused:

make sure ur son & his friend will never figure it out & then lock u out of ur own comp.

Oh, I'd kill him ... kill him dead! ;)

CathyBogart
09-17-2003, 12:17 AM
What version of windows?

Go to control panel, passwords, and change your password.

Beyond that it depends on the version. :)

Twisterdog
09-17-2003, 12:23 AM
ME

CathyBogart
09-17-2003, 12:30 AM
ME doesnt have any such thing as a "secure" password, your son can type in a different username and it will automatically create another account. (95, 98 and ME are all like that)

If you ever decide to change your OS, XP actually allows you to control which users use which programs and such.

What you want is a BIOS password.

One of three keys gets you into the BIOS: when you first turn on the computer, you should get a BIOS screen, and either Delete, F2 or F10 will get you into the actual BIOS.

From there, find the security option, go to "set password", and set the password. Don't ever forget it, and don't change any other settings in te BIOS.

I've never touched a ME box, I'm just typing up what my Tech support Fiancee is dictating to me. :) Sorry if it sounds really complicated... :-/

Fuzzy317
09-17-2003, 12:31 AM
There is also a "boot password". With your computer powered off, a password would have to be entered before your compuiter boots. Not sure all that involves, but it may be an option.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-17-2003, 12:53 AM
There is an option to put a BIOS password in place, so the PC won't even boot up without the password.

There should be a message when you boot up which will say, for example "Press F11 to enter BIOS setup". (It varies from one PC to another - you may have to refer to the documentation for your PC, or contact the retailer you purchased it from).

The password is usually in the Startup options, but don't change anything else unless you are really sure what you are doing!

I actually use this option during exam time to disable my kid's PC's without having to physically remove them from the room, to make sure they have one less distraction when they are supposed to be studying!

dukedogsmom
09-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Good luck. It sounds kind of complicated to me. Both my brothers do computers and I'm a little familiar with them.

Twisterdog
09-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Ok, I'm going to try this. If you never hear from me again, you know I messed up and fried my computer forever! :rolleyes:

Dakota's Mommy
09-18-2003, 10:12 AM
My brother got mad at my mom once while he was in high school and did this to her computer! She was so mad!