PDA

View Full Version : The Virtue of Selfishness

slleipnir
09-16-2003, 08:01 PM
The other day I was talking to my dad. A while ago, when Josie was having one of those fits and he told me to call the vets, I asked him if he could do it because I was sure I'd start crying on the phone. Anyway, he told me that I, to a degree, could just be feeling more upset because I'm afraid for myself and how I'll get hurt if something happens to Jo (he worded it better though..) Anyway, that got me thinking. What if everything I get upset with, or love, is ONLY for myself? What if i'm only worried about other ppl because I feel it would hurt myself..? This is what we were talking about. I asked him this. He told me about this lady Ayn Rand who wrote the book "The Virtue of Selfishness". Appearintly, thats how she sees it. She feels ppl only do things go other ppl to make themselves feel better about themselves. Its not neccessarily a bad thing though. She says that if you do something to make someone else fell better, to make youself feel good, then theres nothing wrong with that. My dad dug up the book and gave it to me..It's interesting..I wonder if its true..What do you think?

dukedogsmom
09-16-2003, 08:12 PM
I think that might be true to a certain extent. I mean, the main reason I transport dogs to foster homes is because I want to get them out of the kill places. However, I am greatly rewarded with the good feelings that come along with transporting the dogs. But, I don't agree that is a greed thing, though some people might be that way.

slleipnir
09-16-2003, 08:18 PM
The auther of this book says its not..hence the name. Not sure what I believe lol

Soledad
09-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Surprisingly, I tend to agree with Ayn Rand on this. I don't think selfishness is the same as greed, and I think there's nothing wrong with it when it does not seem to hurt anyone. If I donate money to an animal shelter because it makes me feel good about myself, who loses?

It's a very interesting philosophical question and your dad was very cool to bring it up to you. :)

slleipnir
09-16-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah, that makes sense.

And, my dad will jump at any opportunity to get me to read something lol. He thought he'd show me the book as I brought the topic up, he figured I'd read it lol

lizbud
09-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I think it's a good idea to read the book(the whole book) &
then think about what the author wants to say he/she believes.
I love to read non fiction for that reason. Ann Rand is a very
controversial writer but she does pose some interesting questions. Don't limit yourself on what you read. It's also good
to read a book or article that doesn't believe what she does on
many topics. Your Dad sounds like a good Dad. He wants you
to "think" & then decide for yourself what to believe. Cool. :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Interesting question....

I'll have to see if I can get hold of the book....

My thoughts on the subject:

If I can do something nice for someone, and it has the added "benefit" of making me feel good, then that's a bonus!