PDA

View Full Version : Guinness just gave me the scare of my life!!!

Christiansmommy
09-15-2003, 10:30 PM
I am still shaking!!! This is the second time in a week he has ran outside when we let Dale out to go potty. And it has been pitch black out...just like him!!! I just chased him around the house 2 or 3 times...and finally he ran to the front door trying to get in...thank God he didnt run any farther...boy is he fast!!! A few times i didnt even know where he was...being a black cat...he disappears in the night. I am still shaking. i dont know what i would do if he ever became lost!!! We will only be letting Dale out of the house from the back door from now on...it would be harder for him to escape that way...and we will be EXTRA EXTRA careful to make sure he isnt there when we open the door. I have had him for 7 months now and never before has he ever attempted this . Maybe he is just curious as to where i keep taking Dale...thank God he is safe!!!

Boy did i get my work out for the night!!! Time to go to bed and try to relax...first i have to go find my boy and give him a big hug...thank you God, that i was able to catch him!!!

Anything ever happen to you like this? Hopefully not!

Robyn

shais_mom
09-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Kylie has done that to me too and she is a lot easier to see than Guiness!!! But its still scary!!!
Glad he is safe!

Uabassoon
09-15-2003, 11:18 PM
I'm glad to hear Guiness made it back into the house safely.

AmberLee
09-15-2003, 11:45 PM
So glad that your darling is home safe and sound.

Both Cassy and Livvy have door-dashed -- yes, it's terrifying. Bad enough when it's Livvy: my sweet girl toddles to the garden area in back or rolls on the concrete, I can usually catch her in a few minutes. Cassy vanishes for hours on end. I can't catch him, usually just leave the patio sliding door open for him to make his own way home, but anxiously await the little rascal. I HATE it when he gets out! :mad: :(

krazyaboutkatz
09-15-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Guinness is back inside safe and sound. :) Luckily none of my cats have ever made it outside. My front door opens up into a hallway so my RB Pepper and Sky have run out there a few times but I could always catch them easily.
Maybe you should put Guinness in another room with the door closed before you open up your front or back door again. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and won't try this again. He may have thought that you were playing with him though. Good luck in the future. :)

jazzcat
09-16-2003, 12:45 AM
I had the same thing happen Friday night with Scout. We had just parked in the garage and my husband opened the door into house from the garage while the main garage door was opened and Scout ran out between our legs and ran straight out the garage into the driveway. I had my arms full and dropped everything and took off after her. I caught her as she ran under a bush. That scared me to death because the road was just about 25 feet away.

Now she is waiting every time we come in. I've got to figure something out but the first thing is to make sure we always have the big garage door shut before we enter the house. At least that way she can't get outside. Problem is my husband isn't so good about remembering to do that.

I hate that kind of scare. She is so fast and since we've only had her two months she doesn't really come to me when I call yet. I'm so afraid of losing one of my babies outside.

Barbara
09-16-2003, 02:57 AM
I am so glad we live in an apartment one the first floor (2nd floor US). So whenever F+T escape there is still one door closed. And they have to show us from time to time they can do it -just to proof that cats are better than humans;)

One time Filou escaped outside because we even had not noticed that he escaped through the upper door when Siegmar went in the garden. He came back half an hour later and I got kind of a backward shock because I hadn't missed him (hiding in the apartment is one of Filou's special skills).

I am so glad that up to now I never felt that shock you must have felt when Guinness raced out. Or even worse, Eli:eek:

Miss Meow
09-16-2003, 03:06 AM
How scary! They are so quick when they decide they want to be outside. I'm glad you got him back quickly.

Pam
09-16-2003, 06:01 AM
:eek: :eek: Just the other day I had a scare too! I went downstairs and hubby was frantic. He said "have you seen the cats?" It was sort of as you describe Jazzcat. Hubby had gone into the garage to put something into his car, and then came back in to use the bathroom before leaving for work. He thought that he had closed the door to the family room which leads to the garage but when he came out saw that it was open :eek: . What was worse was that the front of the garage, leading to the street, was open. We both started frantically searching the house, starting with their favorite lounging spots. We found Andy right away but didn't find Trevor until we walked around the far side of the garage. There he was taking a leisurely stroll heading for the driveway. Hubby called his name and, believe it or not, he turned around and came in! Whew! CATS! :)

IttyBittyKitty
09-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Pixel has done that a few times to us too ... but she just sits out there sniffing at things and makes it easier to catch her ...

One time, she fell out a window and Scott's dad found her in a tree meowing loudly!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Gosh!! What a fright! I am so glad you managed to heard Guinness inside again!

Ally has escaped before. Usually she gets about 2 meters away from the door, realises she is OUTSIDE, and freezes on her belly for you to pick her up and carry her inside again:rolleyes:

Once we had guests for a BBQ, and Ally slipped out. I didn't notice for around 5 minutes, and when I DID, everything came to a halt and all the guests were out in the pitch dark garden looking for her. We found her crouching under a bush in the back garden - absolutely terrified!! When I picked her up she clumg to me like a baby:)

(Kinda makes me wonder WHY she keeps trying to get outside - as soon as she manages an escape, she wants right back in again!)

Logan
09-16-2003, 07:21 AM
I have had the same scare, Robyn, but only with my dogs, since my cats go outside at will. I know that hard heart beat and panic that sets in! :eek: So glad you caught that beautiful black boy!!!!

ramanth
09-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Guinness! Don't scare your mommy like that!

Glad he's back inside. :)