PDA

View Full Version : Help in trapping

Princess_Snow
09-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi Everyone! As I have posted here before, I am taking care of 2 feral colonies. I need to ask you guys on the right way to trap the kitties. I have read a lot of materials regarding the proper way of trapping but I'm concerned that as one kitten enters the trap , it would slam on the other kitties entering the trap. They are very shy and scared of people so I'm not sure I could carrier trap them. Can you guys give me suggestions on how to catch them. Somebody wants to take a look at them this weekend.

I am really getting so depressed with cat rescue. Nobody seems to want them and my time is running out. I only have until December to find homes for them . My heart is breaking for these kids. This morning I saw them huddled together sleeping. The place they are staying is not covered and the weather is getting colder so they just rely on each other to keep warm. If only I could take them all home but I can't. I still have 3 to take care of and I'm in a really really tight budget right now.

I need prayers for these kids that someone out there would want them and give them a home.

nodgeness
09-15-2003, 03:55 PM
I wish I had a suggestion for you on how to catch them! I will pray that the little guys get a home & SOON!!!! I hate the thought of them trying to stay warm :mad:

K & L
09-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Always have a plan in place before trapping.
Never release a cat until you know with absolute certainty that the cat is spayed or neutered.
Use only traps or feral carriers for catching, containing, and transporting feral cats.
Traps containing cats should be covered at all times with a towel or sheet.
Once trapped make sure traps are out of dangerous elements like sun and rain so kitties won’t roast or freeze.
Always check to make sure the back door of the trap is securely latched.
Never leave a trap unsupervised in an unsecured area.
Use wet stinky bait such as tuna or mackerel.
During bug season, sprinkle a cat-safe bug deterrent on the ground under and around the bait area of the trap so kitty won’t be consumed by ants. The most effective safe powder is Ortho Bug Be Gone Multi-Purpose Garden Dust. Sevin Dust 5% can also be used. Diatomaceous earth (food-grade, please – available from some natural food stores and environmentally conscious pet-care supply companies) can also be used, but there are conflicting reports about its effectiveness.
Do not feed the cats for 48 hours before you try to trap them.
Stuff you need when you trap:
Can Opener
Flashlight
Food for the cats – TUNA, Sardines, Fancy Feast, etc.
Food Dishes (lids)
Tarp or plastic for under the cats in the car
Towels or sheets to cover traps
Traps

We have caught 2 at a time in a trap when they were small. How many are you trapping? Do you have enough traps for all? If not, you need to have something to safely transfer them in once trapped. Once one goes in the trap cover and remove it from the area immediately so not to startle the others.

Princess_Snow
09-15-2003, 04:17 PM
I'm trapping 4 kittens and 2 teenagers right now but the kittens are more important. I only have one trap though. I am just scared that as one kitten comes in, the trap door would close on the others. These kittens always come together in a group so wherever the leader kitty goes, the other would follow at the same time. The other necessities on trapping I'm familiar with already. I was just wondering if I could use anything aside from the trap. They also wont come out unless you are far from them.

K & L
09-15-2003, 04:33 PM
A drop trap would be the perfect thing in this situation. Can you, or do you know of anyone, that make one for you? Here's one that my husband made. It works great and we've caught up to six cats at a time in it. You do have to have a transport trap. My suggestion would be to put the door at the corner though instead of the middle. The cats always run to the corner.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p234e6341a866bc766de2cd2f7d8281c1/fc2c1930.jpg