PDA

View Full Version : The miracle of Velveeta cheese

jenluckenbach
09-14-2003, 06:26 PM
OK, so it may not be the perfect choice, but I started wrapping Jim and Sterling's pills in Velveeta cheese to make administering them a bit easier. Works for me! :D
The "big 2" were getting tired of 2 pills daily. And since they are getting only half of a pill, it probably tastes worse than if the pill did not have a cut side. The pill popper I bought had much too big of a hole at the end to hold the pill inside, so that did not work. I still put it way back in their throat so they don't lick off the cheese and spit out the pill, but at least they ENJOY the sensation and taste of CHEESE vs. PILL. And, an extra added bonus is that if the pill crumbles in the cutting process (which has happened several times because there is no "line") I can wrap the pieces together in the cheese and don't have to throw it away as a failed dose.

By the way, today is one week without finding urine spots to clean up. Way to go boys! :D

Denyce
09-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Glad it is working for you. Your reasons are all the ones I have for using the Velveeta. The pills I also have to give each day are too small for a pill shooter and they crumble easily. And the Velveeta slides down the throat so well.:D :cool:

Cataholic
09-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Velveeta? As long as it works....:D

TheAntiPam
09-15-2003, 12:47 AM
Many of us Wisconsin-born cat lovers are turning a bit
green at the thought :eek: but it is tough to argue with success! :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-15-2003, 01:08 AM
"The miracle of velveeta"..........sounds like a new advertising campaign........

Can you imagine the adverts:eek: (well, maybe not!)

Good news re the boys not having any little "accidents":)

bisi.cat
09-15-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy

Can you imagine the adverts:eek:

To stop the most unwanted pees -
wrap the pills in Velveeta cheese!

Glad to hear the good news about you, Sterling and Jim!:D

Barbara
09-15-2003, 02:41 AM
Bisi , I did not know you're a poet. I think the wrapping technique would work here too.

Glad to hear that you had a spotless weekend:)

jenluckenbach
09-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by bisi.cat
To stop the most unwanted pees -
wrap the pills in Velveeta cheese!

D
ROTFLOL
Literally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My eyes are watering from laughing so hard. :D

lbaker
09-15-2003, 07:48 AM
what a friend we have in cheeeeeses :rolleyes:

09-15-2003, 07:53 AM
Ha ha ha, what a LOL!!!

Hey, Velveeta Cheese, is that the one packed in yellow boxes?

gini
09-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
what a friend we have in cheeeeeses :rolleyes:

Laurie! :D :D

catmandu
09-15-2003, 09:22 AM
In the Lost cats Hotel , Cheese Whiz is the cheeses of choice , and philadelphia Cream Cheese! But I will try Velveeta! If we can get it in Canada!Michael loves CHEESE!

Logan
09-15-2003, 09:23 AM
LOL @ Bisi and Laurie!!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for making me laugh!!! And good for you, Jen. Cheese works wonders for pill taking in this house too (only tried it on the dogs who were spitting out their chewable Baytril). Velveeta is the best!!!! :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-16-2003, 12:14 AM
I've never tried velveeta but I've tried cream cheese and that works too. I'm so glad that it's working for you and that your house has finally become pee free. :)

slick
09-16-2003, 06:11 PM
There once was a cat named Jim
Who couldn't help but pee on a whim
Mom said take these please
In Velveeta cheese
And Jenny was so proud of him.

Ok, Ok, I won't quit my day job. It's obvious I'm no poet. So glad the cheese is working.

jenluckenbach
09-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Well, the cheese is working excellently with Jim. But Sterling is beginning to hate even the cheese. Today I used tuna, but when he tasted the pill he still gagged and it will probably not work for long either. I ordered a new (hopefully more professional type) of pill shooter. I used rush delivery so I should be able to have it by Tuesday. Will also be asking the vet about the cream form. (I take the kittens in Monday for neutering, I will ask then). 50 % success is better than no success, though.

sasvermont
09-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Jen, I know the cream form is available. I think it needs to be mixed though. A friend of mine here in South Hero VT uses it for her oddly behaved cat and she finds it effortless. I used it a couple of time with Gabe, Ti Ti and Miley. You cannot get it on your fingers but the ear of the cat is an easy target and they don't even know you have done it. You will think it is so easy, compared to the pilling routine.

By the way, my friend who's cat is odd, is down to twice a week with the cream in the ear routine. As the cat adjusts to the meds, it requires less. We don't think the cat can ever go off the meds completely.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

You are such a good mom to your kitties!

L.
SAS