PDA

View Full Version : I Hate This!!

G.P.girl
09-13-2003, 12:05 AM
the kidz in my school are always calling each other "retarded"...
it makes me so mad that they have no respect for the people that do have a disability and cant help it. my cousin has downsyndrome and i love him to death. it makes me so mad that people stare at him and make fun of people like him! of course never in front of me cause i'd beat them up before they had a chance to say another word. the worst part is that joonah (my cousin ) is only three so he doesnt know that there is anything different about him and he cant help it....oh well i cant explain my self very well...but you get what i'm saying..no....am i the only one who thinks this is a problem? what has our world come to....:(

Tonya
09-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Hi, G.P.girl. Don't get to frustrated! I bet half the kids don't even take down syndrome into consideration when they use that word. I think for the most part, "Retard" is a word out of habit; most people have big hearts. Kill them with kindness. Educate them. They are probably not even thinking about what they are saying.

iceyshiver21
09-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Yes, now teens and kids use it as more..like..just a word...with no intention of insulting those who do have a condition.

carole
09-13-2003, 03:00 AM
YEP, in NZ the kid's use this term as well , a retard is the common expression, try not to be too offended, as I am certain, they don't even give it a thought as to what they are really saying, it is just one of those silly saying's that has caught on.

Still I can understand where you are coming from, Down's Syndrome children I believe are a blessing on their own, as a teenager I had a holiday job working for the IHC and was looking after 5 children with Down's, they were the most loving children ever, and I truely felt love for them., and it was indeed a wonderful experience I will never forget.

babolaypo65
09-13-2003, 09:42 AM
You're right GP. It's frustrating, and it IS a problem. I feel the same way when "gay" (and its related terms) are used as an insult. The folks who are calling eachother retarded, retard... lack imagination.And they don't realize that it affects others. Your cousin has DS, so it hurts your feelings. You school probably has kids who are developmentally disabled but who dont have a syndrome with identifiable facial characteristics (simply put some kids might be retarded, but not look any different). It would be very hard for them to hear "retard" thrown around as an insult.... If you do feel strong enough you can try to educate them....It's a tough job though. And teachers should be helping with this issue.:(

G.P.girl
09-13-2003, 10:21 AM
can you belive my gym teacher said it??? she was like" yeah you guys know how retarded the boys are they cant write neatly..."
but i do have one teacher that gives detention when he hears someone say that ...he's my favorite teacher...

GoldenRetrLuver
09-13-2003, 10:25 AM
My aunt works at a school taking care of kids with Down's Syndrome, Autism (sp), and kids that are Retarted. It's an extremly tough job, but she loves it. I went with her one day and all the kids were really nice. :)

I can understand where your coming from, but try not to take it seriously. When people say that, I don't think they are trying to make fun of kids who are.

babolaypo65
09-13-2003, 10:28 AM
That's absolutely shameful.
Yes, he probably isn't referring to people with developmental disabilities, but he is supposed to be a ROLE MODEL, not contribute to the least common denominator :mad:

Originally posted by G.P.girl
can you belive my gym teacher said it??? she was like" yeah you guys know how retarded the boys are they cant write neatly..."
but i do have one teacher that gives detention when he hears someone say that ...he's my favorite teacher...

Soledad
09-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Retarded means slow or underdeveloped and can have many uses.

babolaypo65
09-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Indeed it can. It's origins as an insult in schools are likely from the cognitively delayed use. While that is now perhaps not the case...

On the plus side ARC and other agencies that work with adults and children with developmental disabilities no longer use the term "retarded" to refer to their clients. While ARC used to mean "The association of Retarded Citizens" they now officially just call themselves ARC or ARCA and do not use the term.
Hopefully then, if persons with developmental disabilities are never referred to as retarded the origins of the term as an insult will have no direct impact.

Originally posted by Soledad
Retarded means slow or underdeveloped and can have many uses.

Dogz
09-13-2003, 01:20 PM
I know that a lot of people say that. Not just kids, but I do think that it was wrong for you gym teacher (key word;)) said that. I don't think that the people that say that are using it to make fun of the mentally challanged. I think that the retarded people are really nice actually. Way nicer than some people I know, so I never make fun of them in any way. I know that we had a retarded person in our school, and she was always so friendly, and always ready to say hi.:)

RubyMutt
09-14-2003, 09:17 AM
I also get frustrated when people use that word. I know that most of the time it's not used to insult people with mental disabilities, but I also have a cousin with downs - a few of them actually. To say something is retarded just annoys me. What's wrong with having a mental disabilities? No one is perfect. There are so many other words, why can't you think of another to use when you don't like something? :(

Twisterdog
09-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Actually, I'm ashamed to admit, but my son, boyfried and I all use that word occasionally, just goofing around. If one of us trips or drops something or says something stupid, the other one might say, "Way to go, retard." It's meant totally as a joke, just poking a little fun at each other. I honestly never thought about it before, and certainly never made any conscious connection to handicapped people. We just say it like we would say, "Goof" or "Wierdo" or "Silly". I guess we'll have to be more careful not to say that.

Tonya
09-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Yeah, Twister. I hear ya. The word that I use is "gay". Like if something is lame, I say "That's gay." Well, two of my closest friends are a lesbian couple. I said it in front of them the other day, and for the first time thought about my choice of words. Luckily, we've been friends for so long that they don't care...but I hadn't even thought about what I was saying until then.

Cataholic
09-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
Yeah, Twister. I hear ya. The word that I use is "gay". Like if something is lame, I say "That's gay." Well, two of my closest friends are a lesbian couple. I said it in front of them the other day, and for the first time thought about my choice of words. Luckily, we've been friends for so long that they don't care...but I hadn't even thought about what I was saying until then.

And, that is exactly how you learn, Tonya. My sister cured me of the "retard" habit by ALWAYS saying, "don't use that word that way, it isn't right".....and that taught me. It is like you and me, we used it, without ill intent, not thinking.

So, G.P. girl...I would say, "ugh, don't use that word like that"....in a light way, with something between a smile and a grimace. I imagine most people will say, "Why"? Educate them, OR, more simply, share your feelings with them. And, best of all, lead by example.

Logan
09-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Our son, who is 8 years old, taught us to watch our mouths. Someone referred to a "retard" at dinner one night. I can't even remember who said it, but he burst into tears and said that his mom tries to help people like that (she teaches special education classes). And how right he was!! I think it made every single one of us take a look at our terminology and we thanked him for doing that. It isn't right, and all of us learned a very valuable lesson.

babolaypo65
09-15-2003, 05:49 PM
My nephews who tend to be rather crude, went through a phase of "fag" "Queer" "retard" etc. But auntie made it no fun. If they said, oh that movie is so gay, I would say: how do you know that movie is attracted to other movies of the same genre? What does that MEAN the movie is a fag, how can a movie be a fag??? Or I would say, fag, as in a pile of sticks? Its a movie, not a pile of sticks.
Gay, no, it was a drama....

Or if they said a restaurant was "retarded" I would say: Does the restaurant have an IQ below 80 as measured by verbal and nonverbal performance on the Weschler Scale of Intelligence, Revised? How do you know? Perhaps the restaurant, which after all is ethnic, isn't being properly evaluated by the WISCR?

They got so tired of it, they started using insults I didn't know.
I'm such a nerd.

G.P.girl
09-15-2003, 07:28 PM
even though some people dont mean it like they are making fun of retarded people it's still bad. (please exuse the language but i have to make my point) it's like say somebody knocks over a glass. sombody else will say "good going retard" and nobody thinks anything of it. but if the same thing happens and somebody says "good going nigger" there would be a huge contraversey. maybe its just me but i dont see why one should be fine and the other should make big problems.....:confused: :confused:

babolaypo65
09-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Well put GP.

wolf_Q
09-15-2003, 09:04 PM
I'll admit I've used that word as well as others like "gay"....I honestly don't mean to, nor do I mean to even use it in reference to their real meaning. My friends say it, and sometimes it just happens with me too....I need to think about things more carefully before I open my mouth.

G.P.girl
09-16-2003, 09:01 AM
it really does hurt peoples feelings. not because they are talking

about retards but because they dont give them the respect that

that a real living person with feelings deserves.:( :(

i have to go to school now so i will vent later;)