PDA

View Full Version : *rub* Zap! *ouch!* Dad, you're shocking me!

Phred
12-14-2000, 02:38 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif Hi, it's Cinder, the lil' Shepherd, with a serious problem http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif. I'm beginning to think that Dear Old Dad is either trying to kill me or fry me up for dinner... Seems ever since this Winter thing started to happen, every time he pets me I get 'letrocuted. Really bad at home where everything is carpeted, but he nails me at work on the concrete floors, too.

I slide over to his chair and nuzzle his hand for a pat and things go downhill from there. I get about three good scritches, head or butt, doesn't matter which end; and then Wham-Zap! The 'lectricity hurts so bad it collapses my ears and stops my wagger from waggin'. Must bother Dad too, 'cause he allways says a naughty word and shakes his hand. His Mom told him to "touch wood" and it won't happen, but he can have a death grip on the wood end table and I still get Zapped. I thought if I got off the floor the Zaps couldn't get me, so I started crawlin' up in Dad's lap. He likes the lap-dog thing, but the Zaps just take about two scritches longer to happen, and they hurt just as much. I'm starting to get hand shy 'cause I don't like getting the 'lectrical Zaps. And I always look like I'm having a bad hair day - the fur stands straight up and out like I haven't seen the brush for a month http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif.

And I'm not the only one - Dad nails Boots, the Kat, the same way. Then I have to put up with a hateful Kat slammin' around on my level. I have noticed though, hehehe http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif, that when I've shuffled around the house for a while and give ol' Boots a butt-sniff, he gets enough of a Zapper that I can send him into hiding with just a glance for the next hour. Come to think of it, he looks like a scarecrow after Dad pets him, too.

Well, that's my problem. Any of you other Dog Critters havin' the same problem? And how can we fix it? I'd hate to have to tell all the Two-leggers to keep their mits off our bods till summer comes around, but I'm afraid my brain will turn to dust or my toes will develop a permanent curl if I keep getting Zapped. If any of your Hoomans have a remedy, like a special shampoo or somthin' else, tell 'em to post a note. ...Maybe if I got a ground strap tied to my collar to drag on the ground...

RachelJ
12-14-2000, 02:43 PM
Hey Cinder, What kind of shoes is the old guy wearing? Is he shuffling around in bedroom slippers or something?

Phred
12-14-2000, 02:58 PM
RJ,

"Old Guy"? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif That's my Dad you're talkin' about! Does gray hair mean old?

On his feet? Rubber soled shoes at work, and usually cotton socks in the house. But if he takes off the socks, then his big feet become Zappers when I lay down in front of the chair and he rubs me with his feet. Doesn't seem to make much difference if he wears his slips (they're fuzzy inside with plastic soles; I think he tore the ears and tails off so the Kat would stop laughing) or his shoes in the house. The benifit of the shoes or the slips is he can't Zap me with his feet, just the darn fingers. What'cha thinkin', RJ?

karen israel
12-14-2000, 03:20 PM
Sorry. Cinder, I'm trying to think of a solution but I'm laughing too hard right now! You poor adorable sweetie! I'm not laughing at you but at Phred and Rachel! Poor Cody gets zapped every now and then and I think your dad and I speak the same language when that happens. Hmmmm. Your pals here are sure to think of something!

teena
12-14-2000, 03:42 PM
Hmmmm, have been thinking about your predicament Cinder, and all I can come up with is "dryer sheets". Maybe if your dad rubbed your fur with these prior to scritchins, it might take away some of the pain. If nothin else, you will smell really good! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

ownerof3dogs
12-14-2000, 05:10 PM
I been zapping my dogs latley too. every time I reach out to pet them they look away so I can't touch them. I feel so bad. it hurts me too

RachelJ
12-14-2000, 09:21 PM
Hi Cinder, It's me, Hannah. Don't mind my Mom. How do you suppose she knows about 'lectricty and shuffling around in bedroom slippers? And you 'fess up. You chewed the ears and tail off his slippers, didn't you?

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited December 14, 2000).]

Karen
12-14-2000, 10:14 PM
Hey Cinder - take the credit card and buy your Two-legger a humidifier! That'll help with the zaps, and maybe help keep him healthy, too! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif That and no plastic soles! Actually, if he'd touch something metal, maybe it'd clear the zap from him, and at least spare you!

b10OML
12-26-2000, 05:22 PM
Phred

That was a good answer Karen. Perhaps I can add just a few extras in case anyone including Phred might benefit.

Static can build up in an object; such as rubbing a balloon against woollen clothing. In a car static can build up in a person whilst sliding off a seat then standing on the ground. On a dry day, the shoes insulate the person from the ground. When touching the car, the charge flows (contrary to popular belief) from person to car and partly to earth via the dirt on the tyres. Whoops, I am starting to digress here!!

In your situation, either the dog or person has become charged; and by touching the other. The static is either sent to earth via the other, or the two objects' (dog and man) charge is equalised.

The reason that one of you is charged is due to friction against material. Polyesters and nylons are typical culprits. These not only build up charge but being dry they retain (ie do not dissipate) any static.

Shampoos (carpet, furniture, dog or human) are often formulated to produce dry material (hair, fur, whatever).

As Karen says, touching a metal can help. However, if the dog is the one with the static and you're holding the radiator, the zap will be more intense.

Anyways, the bottom line is: KEEP YOUR HOUSE LESS DRY. A bad air-con will be doing you no favours. Consider not drying clothes at a launderette or tumble dryer with an external vent. Gas cookers and fires can produce a small amount of moisture. If necessary, stick a wet towel on your radiator.

Also, if there is anyone still reading and not bored by my ramblings, remember an overly damp house also has its health problems for people and animals.

Hope this helps. Funny how Karen managed to say the same but much more concisely.

Angels3
12-27-2000, 06:41 AM
Hi, Cinder. I've got a solution to your zapping problem. It's called Cinder & Dear Old Dad's Great Adventure. The clue to this solution is what you said...you might have to wait until summer because the zapping doesn't happen then. So summer is good, right?

OK, now for the solution. Get Dear Old Dad to follow you to the nearest really, really big airport you can find. Then look for an airplane with a flying kangaroo painted on the side. Now ask for 2 tickets, one-way, to Australia. You're a Shepherd, so round up Dad & head into that plane.

When you get to Australia, you'll find a lot of it is in the sub-tropics or tropics so there's really no such thing as the kind of winter where you have all that zapping. And you & your Dear Old Dad can have great adventures here. There's lots of jobs here for Shepherd dogs...rounding up the sheep & cattle. But maybe you both might like to just lie on a beach all the year round. Zapping will be a thing of the past.

Phred
12-27-2000, 10:01 AM
Hi, Karen and b100 -

Now that's 'zactly what I told my Dad! Even his Mom told him to "raise the 'mudidity" in the house. But we got 'lectric baseboard heat, an he says the 'midifier would be noisy and not spread all around the house. Sounds lame to me. Guess what he told me we're going to do? He gives me a *bath* and then doesn't dry me off - I get to run around the house and drip dry! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif I hope he's kiddin...

Angels3 has the most best idea yet! Dad even seemed to like it... but then he asked me how much I had saved up for our kangaroo plane tikits. If we could just get there, the lyin' on the beach sounds pretty neat - I've only got rocks on the shore at our lake. Is it too far to swim, from Ohio?

Any more ideas? We gotta' come up with sonethin' better than Dad's soggy doggy idea!

Thanks for all your helps, /s/ Cinder http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Karen
12-27-2000, 04:46 PM
Okay, Cinder - how about the old-fashioned, low-tech way of humidifying that also beautifies? It takes a little commitment on your part .... Houseplants! Get something like geraniums, that needs to be watered every couple days. By keeping the soil moist, you help keep the room air more moist. You only part is to commit to not eating the plants, or digging them up, okay? A few in each room would be perfectly quiet, and help humidify, too! No more zappy doggies! (And you can even, if you look, get scented geraniums, so the rooms smell nice, too!)

Angels3
12-28-2000, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phred:
[B]Hi, Karen and b100 -

Angels3 has the most best idea yet! Dad even seemed to like it... but then he asked me how much I had saved up for our kangaroo plane tikits. If we could just get there, the lyin' on the beach sounds pretty neat - I've only got rocks on the shore at our lake. Is it too far to swim, from Ohio?

Cinders, without money for tickets you'd have a long walk to the ocean & then a long swim to Australia. I don't think your Dear Old Dad would be up to that...& I'm sure you wouldn't leave him behind.
So, how about putting bowls of water in each room? We were once told to do that when we used an electric heater to warm a room overnight in winter. It made the air 'moister' for a family member who had asthma.

RachelJ
12-28-2000, 07:47 AM
Hey Cinder, Angel's got the right idea. My mom does the extra bowls of water but it's so I don't have to go all the way to the kitchen to get a drink. But make sure your dad keeps the water nice and fresh for you. Nothing is worse than water that has been standing for oh, say more than an hour or two. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I'm really picky about fresh water. Plus changing the water all the time gives them something to do besides BE ON THE COMPUTER ALL THE TIME, if someone gets my drift...like MOM!!

Your friend, Hannah

Phred
01-26-2001, 07:44 PM
Update on the *Zap!* Sich-e-a-shon:

Of course the best of the above ideas would cost money, and when Dad asked if I wanted Krunchies to eat of less Zaps, the move to Down Under and the midifier boxes kanda slid onto the back burner.

The plantz idea sounded neat to me, but then Dad asked what I'd suggest doing with The Kat: paw-cufs, put him in a canvas bag tied around his neck, glue his paws together, or put a cork in a strategic place or two to eliminate to need to *dig* in soft dirt?? I had to agree The Kat would be a serious flaw in the plantz project, but offered the thought that the Kat would probably not insist on weekly dumping of his box. What with multiple new poddy locations being available to spread the "load", none would need frequent R&R. So what's a little cat odor all over the house? ... Moving on;

Course the low tech = CHEAP ideas 'pealed to Dad, so we began the "Strategic Placement of Auxilliary Humidity Sources" throughout the house. I said "Huh?" Well, why dint he just say "bowls of water"? First "source" was the car wash bucket behind the end table (outa sight, he said). That lasted till Lightfoot the Kat did a slide-stop jump landing on the pile of Firehouse Magazines on top of said table. Luckily the Whole Fambly was assembled for the ritual staring at the TV box and got to see the show. Kat only got one paw wet, but 6 months of Firehouse was a little more than the bucket could hold. The wet rug filled in for the bucket for about 3 days. Was 2 days 'fore we saw the Kat again.

Next "placement" was a bowl behind the kitchen trash bin and in front of the kitchen heater. That one lasted 'bout 45 minutes, till Daddy-O stepped on the lid popper peddel on the trash bin - which promptly skidded backwards (into said water bowl) which resulted in a clean spot on the kitchen floor.

The one in the "really good spot" in the baffroom lasted 2 or 3 days. It was a bigger bowl, owing to the Kat's desire to empty the first tried smaller one, and placed "outa the way" but still in front of the heater. It retirement from service was indeed komikal, but alas we FurKids were not present for the actual event. Seems the Dad sometimes visits the Hoomin Poddy (Dog's Big White Waterbowl, when the lid's up) during the nite hours. On these visits he (1) Never puts on his glasses and (2) Never turns on the lights. #1 cause "he knows the way". #2 cause "can't see with the lights on without the glasses, and it wakes me up". See where this is going? Items #1 and #2 ALSO means "you can't see the *big* bowl of Aux Hoomiditee Source" in the dark baffroom. The then empty bowl slept the rest of the night in the sinkbowl (lucky for Boots he wasn't sleeping in the sink that night) and the baffrom rug did a fine job of increasing the hoomidity for a few days.

There were a couple more sites tried, but each fell out of favor after one of us (Dad, Boots Kat, or me, Cinder Dog) either fell into it, pushed someone else into it, or dropped someting into it.

Does adding water to the house help 'liminate the Zap!s? Oh, you bet. Kat knows first hand the added moisture (specially in us FurKids) stops the Zaps. Kat uses the tub/shower as his *clubhouse* to seek refuge from wild animals loose inna house (me), Hoomins bent on punishment for sins against the establishment (Dad), and when he just dosen't wanna be found. He's inna *clubhouse*, Dad feels like a shower. Dad reaches in the half-open door, turns on the shower, closes door to let steam build up, leaves baffroom to take off his fur pieces. Rest isn't purty. Dad, now in birfday suit, without glasses, opens shower door and places foot #1 into shower. The now completely drenched (by almost scalding hot water) medium sized house Kat, who's been waiting for the shower door to open for a good five minutes, exits said tub area through the dorway partially blocked by said naked, sightless, Dad. I'm not sure which of 'em made the louder screams. Dad had Kat tracks from top to bottom. Kat almost knocked himself out when he banged his head into the shower door top track. They didn't talk to each other for a week. But Kat did report less Zaps for the two weeks it took for him to dry out!

Although not personally injured in the hoomidity production program, I've desided that avoiding the cause (Dad's paws) is by far the least dangerous of the available remadees. On bad days (signaled by the Kat's reaction to the "we're home" pat on his back), I just avoid the Dad.

Any better ideas; post away! /s/ Cinder

lhg0962
01-26-2001, 08:13 PM
Dear Cinder,
My name is Butter and I'm going to go ahead and admit it..... I'm a cat. But we have something in common. My mudder shocks me all of the time! I love her a bunch and all she has to do is say "Butter, Butter, Butter" in this real sweet voice, and I just come running, no matter where I am. But she has got to do something about this shocking stuff. She kind of mumbles under her breath when it happens cause she feels so bad about it, but it is constant. She says she gets shocked everytime she gets out of her car too. It's a Jeep, just in case that matters, and I LOVE to sleep on the warm hood. I have given her a nice set of paw prints all the way across the hood and up the windshield too. She is a real Clemson Tiger fan, so I thought she wouldn't mind some "paw prints" on her car.
I've only lived in this house for three weeks now. See I heard about these people who would take in all kinds of stray animals, and they ended up letting me inside too! Of course I didn't leave for over a week, and it was really, really cold outside so my new mom felt really sorry for me.

Anyway, about the "shock". The first time my mom pets me after she has been outside in the cold, she sends shocks through my nose and into my brain! She always rubs my head first. I really love it, but the shocks are not a good thing at all.

If you figure out the answer to this problem, please let us know. No offense, but we have some big, clumsy dogs in this house, and no way could we put buckets or bowls of water around. They would go swimming in them, or at least duck their heads in. They love the water and I can't imagine why.

Hope you have a good weekend, Cinder, and please say a prayer for me. My mom is going out of town overnight and leaving me with that other cat, Mimi. Can you believe it? She hates me. Hope we survive.

Butter, the blue eyed, "shocked a lot" cat

Karen
01-26-2001, 09:53 PM
Hey, Cinder-pup, reading your account of the various results brought an idea to mind. What about bowls set around with damp towels in them - they'd be way less messy if they got knocked over, and would still be pretty wet, If you wanted to be extra cautious, you could put em in cheap plastic containers with holes punched into their lids, making it very unlikely they'd be spilled, broken, fallen into, or, if stepped on, they wouldn't cause any harm. Ziploc makes those pretty cheap ones you can get in the food-store - and if you don't have lots of spare dish-towels, or old towels hanging around, you could use papertowels or sponges, but I bet they'd dry out faster. The other option is hanging plants so that old Kat couldn't get to 'em to use 'em as litter pans!

Angels3
01-26-2001, 10:01 PM
Cinders, after your latest report re the zapping problem, we are reaching into the bottom of the barrel (no water) here Down Under to come up with a (no cost) solution.

So everyone's a bit awkward around the bowls of water scattered around the house. As you say:

'There were a couple more sites tried, but each fell out of favor after one of us (Dad, Boots Kat, or me, Cinder Dog) either fell into it, pushed someone else into it, or dropped someting into it.'

Our first suggestion was that you all might go to ballet classes & learn to be graceful in your movements. But that probably wouldn't work.

Our second suggestion is that you head the zap off at the pass...Dad's paw, that is. Is there a rubber glove around the house...like for washing dishes? Or can you beg, borrow or steal one from White Coat? Dad can slip the rubber glove onto his patting hand & break the circuit when touching your fur. So, no zap.

The old rubber glove trick might work, & it would be a prettier sight than you, Kat, Boots & Dad taking ballet lessons.

Phred
01-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Seems like us *gurls* like the plantz ideas. Dad's not a *gurl* so he's not too hot on the plantz thingies. Somethin about 'nother mouth to have to 'member to feed...

Now the *boxed* water in plastic tubs, with lids, might have sum merit - what'cha think, Dad? Oh. He's still a little shy 'bout water that gets too far away from a sink.

Danz lessins? I don't need lessins - I danz every time someone gets close to me! But Dad! Him and a danz lessin are about as likely as you are to have snow tanite!!

Now that rubber glove fix... Dad can get lotz of 'em at the Fire Station! Dad wantz ta noe if the rubber glub woul make it hard ta pik his noze? Well Dad, YOU asked an' I dunno - so's I hadda ask the Group. Wait; I noe tha anser - course it woldn't be a problem. All ya gotta do is put tha glub on the Pet pettin' hand-paw and don't put a glub on the noze picker! hehehe... gotta send this afore the Ol' Two-Legger sees THAT one!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Anyway, we're goin' home to oil down Stray Dog's dinner an' slip it to him http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Angels3
01-27-2001, 02:13 AM
Cinders, you're one smart dog figuring out how your Dad can have one gloved hand for patting & another hand to do OTHER THINGS. I read that there's a culture somewhere, where people only ever eat their food with one hand because the OTHER HAND is kept for doing OTHER THINGS that are of the nose picking type. (No! It's not Australia.)

I get the feeling you're sometimes trying to hint that your dear old Dad is none too bright in the brain compartment...compared to you, that is. Well you could help Dad out on this one. Get one of those big marking pens. Print on one of Dad's hands..'For patting', and on the other one 'For OTHER THINGS'. Then he'll know which one to put the glove on. And we'll all know which hand not to shake when we meet him.

Phred
01-30-2001, 01:17 PM
Hey Butter, and all you other *Zapped!* Furkids~

Tell your Hoomins that when they take their shower baths, which work a lot better than sit-downs, if they don't turn on the ceiling air sukker and leave the baffroom door open - all that beautious *steem* will flow all over the house and kut down on the Zappies.

But be reel careful not to *bump* inta the baffroom door an move it in close to the shower door. Me, Kat, an the Smokey Kid all came inta the baffroom to check out Kat's Krunchie Bar Snak Tray while Dad was takin a steem stand-up 'fore he went to a Bowl Party on Sunday. Well, sumbody *bumped* the hallway door an it swung rite up to the shower door. Dad was trying out our steem up the house trick and dint have the air sukker eatin' all the wet steem - so's it was a lil' bit foggy inna baffroom. And Dad takes his looker glasses off when he does stand-ups. So, I guess you could say he wasn't seein' all that well when he slided open the shower door and klimbed out to grab his towel. That's about when he noticed were us FurKids had left the baffroom hallway door. Well, akshoely he noticed AFTER he banged his headbone inta the door. Wow! Such language in front of lil' baby doglets...

But I'm pleezed to report that the steem shower did a great job of cuttin down the Zaps! for a day or so. Now it's rainen like krazy, so thingz otta be pretty zap-proof inna house for a few more dayz.

Now if he'd jest 'member to bring home sum rubber glubs, we'd be reely safe!

/s/ Cinder, Kat & the Kid

Angels3
02-01-2001, 06:34 AM
[
Now if he'd jest 'member to bring home sum rubber glubs, we'd be reely safe!

/s/ Cinder, Kat & the Kid

[/B][/QUOTE]
Cinder, your Dad just needs 1 glove for his patting hand. Maybe you could tie a piece of string around one of his fingers before he goes to work. All day he'll look at that piece of string & it'll remind him that he has to bring a glove home.
You & the Smokey Kid & Kat are doing a great job looking after your Dad. But take care what you do with the doors. He does seem to stumble about a bit when he's not wearing his glasses.