PDA

View Full Version : Is it a stray or not,...how can I tell.....

carole
09-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Well folk's we have discovered we have a furry visitor, that likes to come over and stay under the house, mind you if Ash see's kitty, well he will chase kitty off the section.

I had seen a few people, in the paper who had lost tabby cats, one in particular who lived further down the road from me, so I told him about this kitty, he rushed down with a pic of his cat, but as I only had a glimpse of it, could not tell, so I decided to somehow try to get hold of kitty.

It turned out last night we managed to intice kitty out with food, pat kitty and bring kitty inside, which kitty did not like, started howling.

However it was not the guy down the road, sadly his cat was found dead.

Now my predicament is , if this cat is a stray or belongs to someone in the neighbourhood, it is a large neighbourhood, with a lot of new people shifting in because opposite me is a brand new housing sub-division.

Kitty is real sweet, quite a big cat, well much bigger than my lexie, but not as big as Ash, a female I think, only got a quick look, and a beautiful spotted tabby with ginger markings around the face, and appears to be healthy and not skinny, so I suspect it is not a stray.

I don't want to capture someones beloved pet , I would have to contact cats league to take her, as I am unable.

Any suggestions will be welcome thanks.

BTW it appears Spartacus is gone with the couple who left, as I was sick I did not get a chance to see her, and they left quite sudden, sooner than I expected, so hopefully she took him and he does not turn up after one of his wanders, will keep an eye out for him.

Amber
09-12-2003, 05:07 PM
you brought the kitty in your house???? It could be sick with that feline leakimia(sp) and it passes from cat to cat.

PayItForward
09-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Amber
you brought the kitty in your house???? It could be sick with that feline leakimia(sp) and it passes from cat to cat.
Don't panic, disease is mainly spread though sharing feeding bowls, fighting & breeding, not JUST from being in the same house.

Though I hope the new cat is in a spare room just in case.

Carole,

Nice to hear from you, glad you are back on-line....:D

What about taking the cat to the vets to have him/her scanned for a microchip. The vet staff might recognise the cat or maybe hold a lost found list.

You can also post a Found Cat Poster (No picture and brief description of cat... If anyone tries to claim her, ask for a photo of her as proof before releasing)

But you just may well of collected your third cat ;)

Amber
09-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Okay Good!! I thought it could spread like "That" thanks for telling me that it cant!:)

PayItForward
09-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Okay Good!! I thought it could spread like "That" thanks for telling me that it cant!:)
Thank God or all British cats could be infected by one stray !!!

carole
09-13-2003, 02:22 AM
I did not keep the kitty inside, I let her outside again, I don't really think she is a stray, she looks too well taken care of, maybe she just likes visiting.

Most pet owner's don't microchip their pets in NZ.

HA HA very funny Payitforward, mind you she is a cutie pie, I will just see if she stays around I guess, and take it from there, I have been leaving some biscuits outside for her just incase she is hungry and is a stray, they are gone, but could be my lexie or ash eating them.

I don't want to take her in and keep her here, incase she is some-ones beloved pet, that would be so awful, keep in mind most NZ cats are indoor/outdoor kitties

Thanks for all the advice though, will keep it in mind.:)