PDA

View Full Version : I went to AnimalsWorks today - the pet rescue

jazzcat
09-11-2003, 05:41 PM
They are located in a large petstore and they are where I adopted Jazz and Scout. I decided to drop off my newspapers and visit some of the animals. Why do I do this to myself? I saw the most beautiful and sweet cat today. Her name was Trudy and she was around 2 years old and the card said her owners moved some place that won't allow pets. Why do people do that? It just seems like such a convenient excuse. That was on the cards of at least half the adult cats there.

Anyway, she was a real sweetie and just broke my heart. Plus, there were dozens of cats in the back room because they don't have enough room for cages on the main floor. My heart just aches to see all these homeless animals. If only...

I was happy to see their adoption board said 103 adoption in Aug. One of those is my own little Scout. If I get some free time from helping my elderly parents I plan to volunteer there at least to play with all the kitties. That may be too hard for me to do though.

Just had to share my heartbreak and frustrations.

jenluckenbach
09-11-2003, 06:58 PM
4 cats is a nice number. ;) :D

jazzcat
09-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
4 cats is a nice number. ;) :D

Thanks Jen, I thought you might be a supporter. I just wished I could convince my husband. He says as long as I have the dog then no more cats. Four pets is his absolute limit.

Sweetie's Mom
09-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Jen, I know you groom animals so you have a job. How do you manage to have time for all your cats at home? I ask because I have 4 cats and some days, after work, I'm too exhausted to play with mine although I do manage to find time on those days to spend a bit of time with each one, talking, listening and petting.

Logan
09-11-2003, 08:39 PM
My husband said seven pets was our limit, period. One would have to go away before he allowed another.

If you count the number in my signature, you will see that on this past Saturday, he suddenly agreed to 8, but it was his idea, and that makes all the difference in the world! :p

I know that you are a blessing to those homeless kitties if you go in and spend time with them.

jenluckenbach
09-12-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Sweetie's Mom
Jen, I know you groom animals so you have a job. How do you manage to have time for all your cats at home? I ask because I have 4 cats and some days, after work, I'm too exhausted to play with mine although I do manage to find time on those days to spend a bit of time with each one, talking, listening and petting.
I have no life? :D

Seriously, some days it is hard. But cats are not as demanding of our time as dogs would be. I try to make sure they each get what they need 1) first thing in the morning, 2) right when I get home from work and 3) sometime in the evening or before bed.
Now, what I mean by "get what they need" is some cats WANT more than others. Some examples:
- Must play chase Lucas aroung right before bed time. He loves that
- I take the time to pet Willow late in the evening. It is the only time he isn't hiding under something or running away from you
- Fern will yell for her pets from the top of the refridge right before breakfast and then again from the kitchen window sill right after dinner. And when Fern wants you to pet her ...you PET HER !!!!

Oh well, enough about me.
:o

Barbara
09-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Jen it is still a miracle for me. I get it that you are an extremely well organized person.

The woman I got Filou from is like that. She is a writer and photographer of pet books (very good photographer BTW) and she breeds from time to time. When I met Filou she had 6 cats in a big old farmhouse ( 5 of them neutered, one Filou's mom) plus about 6 bunnies (she was writing a bunny book then). Everything was very clean. The bunnies had a large room and there was fresh litter every single time I came there. But it is a good second job.

For 2 people, 2 cats are very easy to handle. But whenever I was alone with them, I sometimes, especially in the evening when they want lots of attention thought it was good that I didn't have more.

I know in addition that I could not work in a shelter. It would break my heart. I hate that my heart is so weak. My admiration for people like Jen, Kim, Lisa, Gary, Donna and so many other PetTalkers is huge.

Rachel
09-12-2003, 06:46 AM
jazzcat, I have wanted to add a cat to our family for a while, but I have a husband who sets the limit at 2 pets. Realistically, I don't know that I could handle any more either. My Hannah, although she is not extremely demanding, does not tolerate skipping her playtime, no matter what the circumstances. If it is skipped, I always seem to *pay* with her being in a particularly demanding mood about other things the rest of the evening.

The other aspect that kind of scares me is that I really know nothing (other than what I've learned here) about caring for and living with a cat...so that is almost foreign territory.

Yet I still go into PetsMart to *look at the kitties*. Last time they had these beautiful young brothers who were white and tabby colored. They were so loving with one another. I do hope who ever adopts them took them both.

catmandu
09-12-2003, 09:51 AM
There is no real excuse for giving up a Cat! People are too lazy to move the Cat with them , or find them a good home!No Excuse!At All!