PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed, please

micki76
09-11-2003, 08:51 AM
My Dad’s doctors have decided that he’s strong enough for surgery today so he’ll be having his procedure done in a couple of hours. :eek:

Two years ago he developed a fistula between his esophagus and his trachea. A fistula is like a tunnel connecting to organs or body parts together. Dad’s is allowing food and liquid to go into his lung instead of all going down into his stomach, causing pneumonia. He had major surgery last time where they had to remove 2 ribs and a muscle from his chest was used as a patch (like a tire patch) to try to repair it. It was moderately successful for a while, but has begun leaking and allowing stuff back into the lung.

Today they are going to try a new tactic. They have developed (because of my dad’s occurrence of this, a very rare problem) a new device to try to correct the problem. Hopefully this will work. :)
My Dad’s almost 81(:eek: , makes me sound way older than I am)and anything’s a strain on his old body, so we need some Pet Talk prayers for my Daddy. If this isn’t successful, he’ll have to have a feeding tube in his stomach permanently and won’t be able to eat ever again.

Please say a little prayer for my Daddy.

Thanks friends. :)

tatsxxx11
09-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Oh micki, I surely will say a most heartfelt prayer for a successful surgery and complete recovery. Daddys are so special to us girls:) Please let us know he's doing, ok? Love and hugs to you friend. I know how anxious you must be feeling.

Albea
09-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Prayers and best wishes for your dad. Hope the new surgery is successful and he'll recover quickly.

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Dear Father...

Please be with micki76's father today as he is in surgery. Please guide the doctor's hands and give them perfect wisdom to try and rectify this unique problem. Please be with his family during this time and give them peace. I claim a successful surgery and full recovery... I call it forth as though it is so. Thank you for hearing my prayer.

In Jesus' name
Amen

Please keep us updated on how the surgery goes!!... I am believing in a successful surgery!!!:)

ramanth
09-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Thoughts and blessings for your Dad.

*hugs*

lovemyshiba
09-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Micki,
I will be keeping your father in my prayers until he is healthy again.
Please keep us updated.

Tonya
09-11-2003, 09:16 AM
We'll be praying for your father, Micki. Keep us updated. -Tonya

micki76
09-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Thank you all so very much.

I am very anxious, especially since I can't be there. :( He lives about an hour away, but my sister just called and said the Dr wants to go ahead and do it before he gets really weak. Of course, I'm the only one in the office and can't just leave, and by the time I got there it would be almost over anyway since it's a quick procedure.

Yes, Sandra there's no one in this world as special to me as my Daddy. We have a very special and very close relationship. My Daddy is so much more than a Dad, he's my biggest fan, my closest confidant, my favorite teacher, and my best friend. :) We are so much a like it's scary! :)

I love you, Daddy! :D

dukedogsmom
09-11-2003, 09:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. I know as they get older, it's harder for them to heal. I hope he does alright becasue the feeding tube sure wouldn't be a good quality of life. I can only imagine how much stress you must be under. Hope everything turns out ok.

cloverfdx
09-11-2003, 09:57 AM
my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family *hugs*

please keep us updated and i hope all goes well

Kona & Oreo's mom
09-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Best wishes to your dad and your family. We'll be thinking of you.

zippy-kat
09-11-2003, 10:26 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

Logan
09-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Lots of prayers from SC too. I hope everything will go fine with your dad's surgery. :) :) :)

slick
09-11-2003, 12:15 PM
I know how special Daddy's can be. Prayers on the way that everything works out OK.

ChrisH
09-11-2003, 12:21 PM
I so hope your Dad`s surgery went well. My thoughts and prayers are with him, and you also.

sammi
09-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Positive thoughts and prayers going out to your family.

Aspen and Misty
09-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Keeping him in my thought and prayers.

I hope it all goes well! Get back to us ASAP!

Ash

iloverat
09-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Micki76 --- I will be certain to keep your dad and the rest of your family in my prayers. Here's to a successful operation, speedy recovery and a rehab without complications. Sending best wishes to all ---- Bobbi

primabella
09-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Best wishes to your dad. :)

micki76
09-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, it didn’t work. Every time the doctor tried to put a stitch in it would just tear loose. They are going to give him some medication to strengthen the tissues in his esophagus and try again in 6-8 weeks.

The good news is that he doesn’t have to have the feeding tube in the mean time. They are going to let him go ahead and eat food. His doctor is a truly wonderful man, who’s very determined that this is going to work! He’s a great guy. Both of my Dads doctors are blessings to our family. He’s been seeing his pulmonary doctor for 10+ years. (Daddy has emphysema)

The moral of my Daddy’s story is DON’T SMOKE. Daddy started smoking in 1932 when he was just 10 yrs old. This was much more acceptable back then especially in poor farm families. He quit smoking in 1975 when his doctor told him he was in the early stages of emphysema. (I sort of remember my parents arguing, because my Mom wouldn’t quit, too) He had surgery in 1990 for lung cancer which was completely removed, he was VERY lucky and didn’t even need chemo. This fistula was caused by the scar tissue from that surgery. It pulled his esophagus away from its normal pathway and eventually pulled the hole in it. The hole then grew to the bronchial tube, causing the whole problem.

Amazingly, even at his age, his body’s strong. He had absolutely no problems during the procedure, no doubt due to all the prayers that went out for him.

Thank you for all your prayers and hopefully we’ll try this again in a few weeks, so please keep Daddy in your thoughts!

tatsxxx11
09-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, even though they weren't sucessful THIS time, it does sound as they though are still very hopeful! I've been on pins and needles...I'm so relieved to learn he's doing well!:) We'll continue to think of him and send positive thoughts for you and Daddy both!:) Love, Sandra

Cataholic
09-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Prayers on the way!

dukedogsmom
09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. My dad started smoking when he was 16 and didn't quit until about 5 years ago. He's 73 now and has had some problems as well. It's a shame it was so acceptable back then and that they didn't have the knowledge that we have now. Hope this will be successful the second time around.

KYS
09-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family that
your father will be ok. Hope the proceedure works
in a few weeks.

Micki,
My dad was a 3 pack a day chain smoker.
He had the beginnings of emphysema but
that did not even make him quit.
He quit years later on a lousy $50.00 bet with his best friend.

micki76
09-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by KYS
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family that
your father will be ok. Hope the proceedure works
in a few weeks.

Micki,
My dad was a 3 pack a day chain smoker.
He had the beginnings of emphysema but
that did not even make him quit.
He quit years later on a lousy $50.00 bet with his best friend.

How good that he lost that bet! Some things are meant to be lost.

My mother only quit when lung cancer killed her. She was only 47. Her last words were to ask my Dad to light her a smoke. Sad isn't it, that something could have that kind of hold on her? :( She was always so angry with 2 of her brothers who were alcoholics, yet she was an addict herself.

KYS
09-12-2003, 12:40 AM
That is so sad, about your mother.
Back than, they just did not know how bad smoking
was and how addicting it was. :(