PDA

View Full Version : Do you think??????

shais_mom
08-14-2001, 01:07 AM
I have been thinking of this for awhile now. I have been thinking about how since I got my animals, especially Shaianne, that I have become a better person.
I have been showed unconditional love, and forgiveness since I got Shaianne. This wonderful, gentle spirited creature came to me, flinching when I tried to play with her, ragged ears from fighting, dry brittle coat from the food that the humane soc was feeding her, yet she accepted all this with a wag of her tail and lick to my hand. She has shown me that she is such a pure hearted animal, she can forgive and almost forget, it breaks my heart when she flinches from me. I was reaching over her head to clip on her leash the other day and she flinched. I gently smoothed her sleek head and she wagged her lethal weapon tail.
And Kylie came into my home a well-loved, well cared for cat, yet she was afraid of her own shadow for the most part and afraid of men in general due to the actions of an assinine "creep" who thinks of himself as a "man" (bah-humbug!). And with in just mere days she blossomed to a feisty cat who holds her own with the dog, loves men, and people. She doesn't hide from men when they come into my home. Altho she is leery of children, but she hasn't been around them hardly at all.
I feel my animals have made me more forgiving, compassionate towards people and animals. The unconditional love that they give me makes up for all the bad that may happen in my life, my pets don't care that I had a bad night at work, they don't care when I worry about money problems, of have a bad hair/makeup day, to them I am beautiful, they don't care what I look like. I take that back they do care when I have had a bad night at work, they sense it. Once when I had only had Shai for about 2 mos, I came home from work hysterically upset, sobbing so hard I couldn't even talk, I just laid on the bed, in the fetal position, crying and after pacing and whining for about 5 min, she finally jumped on the bed and curled her head around my legs. And when my grandpa died in Dec I spent the weekend at my parent's house, Shai knows the unspoken rule that she is not to lay on any of granma's beds, but the night before the funeral, I was having trouble sleeping and she jumped up to the bed, and curled up behind my legs, just like at home, no amount of coaxing could get her off, finally in exhaustion I gave up, and we both slept the rest of the night, peacefully.
I aplogize for the legnth of this, But I guess this is expressing how much I appreciate my animals and my pet-talk friends. :D
XOXOXO
(Is there a sign for happy tears??????)

zippy-kat
08-14-2001, 01:39 AM
Beautifully stated! Wow! Thank you for sharing that!

Not too long ago, I was going through a very emotional time. My bunny, Sophie, never failed to comfort me. She *just knew* when to make me laugh or when to let me hold her and cry. I love her so, so much!

After my first cat died, our kitten wanted so badly to comfort me. I (selfishly) refused to want anything to do with her. But she persistantly would sit near me and reach out with her paw. She never forced herself on me (sitting in my lap, etc)--just gently touched me with her paw, to let me know she was there. I get so upset at myself remembering how I treated her then; she was trying to comfort me while I grieved and I pushed her away.

I posted a heart-wrenching story about a collie under Dog Rescue: Why?
Molly, is a dog I will never forget. Despite her circumstances, she never held a grudge against humans. Her love for people truly amazes me.

So, yes, I completely agree that pets make their owners better people!

KayAnn
08-14-2001, 08:38 AM
I think Simba made me a better person, he gave me responsibility, he gave me strength ( the times he had been sick, i knew to just stick with him and he would be allright), He also gave me determanation ( when i was training him, i learned to never give up), and most of all he gave the kind of love no one could ever give to me. When i first saw your post... i was like "No, I try not to think." lolololololololololol :D
So yes, i agree with you.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-14-2001, 08:47 AM
I agree! I think that having the responsibility for these dependent creatures makes us mature, more in control of our lives.
I guess I would say that dogs make us more human....

Snowy's Mommy
08-14-2001, 09:43 AM
I completely agree as well--Snowy has addded such joy to my life!!!! :D :D :D :D

Don't ever be afraid to share your feelings,Shai, the world would be better place if more people did so!!!!

Jordan

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Snowy's Mommy ]

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Snowy's Mommy ]

jackiesdaisy1935
08-14-2001, 09:59 AM
I have to add that as a senior, every older person should have an animal whether it be a dog, cat, rabbit or even a fish. Your family is grown with families of their own, of course they love you, but mostly they are busy working and bringing up their own kids.
Having an animal when you are older gives you companionship, comfort and a feeling that you are needed at that time in your life. Every morning, Don and I say what would we do without Perry and Daisy.
I have a cousin who is elderly and lost her husband about four years ago and she is so lonely, I suggested she get a pet and she says no she might want to travel, but she never does and she is always lonely.
Jackie
p.s. I think I am driving Carrie crazy, I put a photo of Don in bed with Daisy :D :D

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

RachelJ
08-14-2001, 10:10 AM
We often get so involved in what we want to teach our dogs that we forget to be open to what they can teach us. When Hannah was a puppy to say that she was a challenge is an understatement. She was simply the world's worst puppy. But in being the world's worst puppy, she taught me patience. In my frequent trips outdoors with her in the dead of night and the cold of winter, she helped me discover the beauty of a cold stary night. With the need for me to exercise her her on a daily basis, she taught me the benefits of a routine and added a whole room to my home - my back yard - previously practically unused by me. With her wonder at a blowing leaf or bird overhead, she taught me to appreciate nature, for which I will be eternally grateful. In her insistance to be her own dog, she taught me flexibility and how to negotiate and persevere. When she got sick, she made me realize how deeply I loved her. I was more than middle aged when Hannah came on the scene. It still astounds me how many more facets to my life came with one stubborn, independent little cockapoo. She opened my eyes and my heart, and I thoroughly believe all of the animals who come into our lives have so much to teach us, so much to offer.

Daisy's Mom
08-14-2001, 02:07 PM
Wow, I agree with everything that every one of you has said! We truly are a special kind of people, and we owe it all to our dogs.