PDA

View Full Version : 9/11

anna_66
09-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Tomorrow will mark the 2 year anniversary of the tragedy we all lived through on 9/11.
I think back on what happened that day & what I was doing, and it feels like it was just yesterday.
I still get a lump in my throat and a pain in my chest just remembering what so many people endured.
I just wanted us to take a minute and thank god that we live in this wonderful country and remember all the good people we lost that day.
I found a beautiful link if you would like to take a look.
9/11 (http://www.top-greetings.com/G.py?P=/911/).

Kfamr
09-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Anna, It makes me very sad to think aobut it. I was just watching footage they showed from i, two years ago.

Simba and Nala are sporting their 9-11 bandanas that you sent us. :)

delidog
09-10-2003, 10:18 PM
I am from N.Y.....
I watched (The TowersBe built!)

Fox-Gal
09-10-2003, 11:04 PM
9/11 is a day that we will all carry with us forever in our own way.

I remember those pictures, on that site, so well, they still effect me and most likely always will. Two of them I have framed as a reminder. I'm sure we all have a memory of what we were doing that day and how it effected us.

Personal for me, it was the day when my world stoped for a time.

I will never forget my phone ringing that morning, my brother on the other end saying "Turn on the TV NOW! I got to go" then he hung up. Watching the TV and knowing that both my brothers were there, my world froze. The one brother lived 3 blocks from the Trade Center, the other had a meeting there that morning. Days of not knowing, waiting and waiting, afraid everytime the phone rang but gluded to the phone hoping that it would ring. Afraid to leave my home, just in case that call came in, finally having to leave, needed pet food. Walking around Winn Dixie, it happened my cell phone rang, they found my 1 brother, he was alive. I got on my knees and cryed right there in the can goods. 1 brother still uncounted for. Then the next day, the other brother called, he had made it to a friends and the phone had just got turned back on for him to call. Even now I cry remembering that day, the day I almost lost both brother and then the day I got them back. The worse and the best all in a matter of days.

So on a personal note, I want to thank God for sparing my Brothers and giving me my family back. God bless those that where not as lucky as I was. For a short time I carry just a little of what they are carring with them forever and so today, tommorow and every day after, they will always be in my heart and prays.

gini
09-11-2003, 12:32 AM
> TWO THOUSAND ONE, NINE ELEVEN (2001-911)
>
> Two thousand one, nine eleven
> Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
> As they pass through the gate,
> Thousands more appear in wait
> A bearded man with stovepipe hat
> Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat."
>
> They settle down in seats of clouds
> A man named Martin shouts out proud
> "I have a dream!" and once he did
> The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."
>
> Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
> Others in khaki, and green then say
> "We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
> The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."
>
> From a man on sticks one could hear
> "The only thing we have to fear.
> The Newcomer said, "We know the rest,
> trust us sir, we've passed that test."
>
> "Courage doesn't hide in caves
> You can't bury freedom, in a grave,"
> The Newcomers had heard this voice before
> A distinct Yankees twang from Hyannisport shores.
>
> A silence fell within the mist
> Somehow the Newcomer knew that this
> Meant time had come for her to say
> What was in the hearts of the five thousand plus
> that day.
>
> "Back on Earth, we wrote reports,
> Watched our children play in sports
> Worked our gardens, sang our songs
> Went to church and clipped coupons
> We smiled, we laughed, we cried, we fought
> Unlike you, great we're not."
>
> The tall man in the stovepipe hat
> Stood and said, "Don't talk like that!
> Look at your country, look and see
> You died for freedom, just like me."
>
> Then, before them all appeared a scene
> Of rubbled streets and twisted beams
> Death, destruction, smoke and dust
> And people working just 'cause they must.
>
> Hauling ash, lifting stones,
> Knee deep in hell, but not alone
> "Look! Blackman, Whiteman, Brownman, Yellowman
> Side by side helping their fellow man!"
>
> So said Martin, as he watched the scene
> "Even from nightmares, can be born a dream."
>
> Down below three firemen raised
> The colors high into ashen haze
> The soldiers above had seen it before
> On Iwo Jima back in '44.
>
>
> The man on sticks studied everything closely
> Then shared his perceptions on what he saw mostly
> "I see pain, I see tears,
> I see sorrow -- but I don't see fear."
>
> "You left behind husbands and wives
> Daughters and sons and so many lives
> are suffering now because of this wrong
> But look very closely. You're not really gone.
>
> A all of those people, even those who've never met
> you
> All of their lives, they'll never forget you
> Don't you see what has happened?
> Don't you see what you've done?
> You've brought them together, together as one.
>
> With that the man in the stovepipe hat said
> "Take my hand," and from there he led
> three thousand plus heroes, Newcomers to heaven
> On this day, two thousand one, nine eleven.
>
Amen

tatsxxx11
09-11-2003, 05:13 AM
We lost our beloved Buff that day.

Martin P. Wohlforth
Sandler & O'Neill
104th floor, South Tower
4/25/54-9/11/2001

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/padd77af290879c8ef0058b1a9bfd0655/fb1f1df7.jpg

We love you, we miss you.

Martin P. Wohlforth ’76
"Buff" was a victim of the Sept. 11, 2001, World Trade Center tragedy. He worked as a managing director of Sandler, O’Neill & Partners on the 104th floor of 2 WTC. Strong and lasting friendships marked Buff’s entire life — when he was growing up in Demarest, N.J., and attending Bergen Catholic HS, at Princeton, and later in Greenwich, Conn. Buff lived life to the utmost at Princeton. He studied politics, played varsity golf, and was a unanimously popular member of Cottage Club. Save for a few gray hairs, he showed that things hadn’t changed at the 25th reunion last June, by joyfully renewing friendships, and even winning the alumni golf tournament. Buff’s success at life showed not only through his friendships and career on Wall Street, but also through an incredibly close and committed family. Buff’s wife, Susan, and daughter Chloe, parents Bob ’47 and Mariann, sisters Priscilla Stumm ’72 and Lili Tatsuno, together with extended family that includes nieces Ali Stumm Pogorelec ’99 and Amanda Stumm ’01, cousins Eric Wohlforth ’54 and Charles Wohlforth ’86, and father-in-law Dominic Telesco ’52, are lasting proof to the power and strength of family. Buff’s wonderful spirit will continue through them. The Princeton U. Martin "Buff" Wohlforth ’76 Memorial Fund will benefit the varsity golf team.
The Class of 1976
PAW - 01/30/02

This is Buff. He is the second to last of the photos (http://sandleroneillfamily.com/)

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-11-2003, 05:50 AM
I pray for every family that has to remember their loved ones that lost their lives that tragic day.

I pray for this country.. and this whole world. That one day through some miracle that it will know peace.

God bless America ....

The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace. Psalm 29:11

lynnestankard
09-11-2003, 06:35 AM
11th September 2001

Such a sad day - so many tears cried for people I would never know - men and women whose familes would never see again - colour and creed not important - brave firemen and policemen - people holding photos of loved ones - how much agony and heartache was there - and through all this horror, how much love? Just so much.

My thoughts remain with all people who lost loved ones - I hope you have the strength to continue.

Lynne

ramanth
09-11-2003, 08:39 AM
:( :( I'll never forget.

lovemyshiba
09-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Beautiful poem Gini.

I'll never forget. I was sleeping and a voice was yelling outside the apartment, for anyone to hear. I woke up and turned on the television, only to stay glued to it all day long. The crash in Pennsylvania was not far from me, in my best friend's hometown.

God bless everyone, and may those who died rest in peace.

dukedogsmom
09-11-2003, 09:44 AM
I know I'll never forget it. We were at work and I remember thinking it must be some kind of horrible accident. It affected us all deeply. These two photos touched me a lot.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/firemanflag1.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/wtc91801.jpg

cloverfdx
09-11-2003, 10:02 AM
sitting here with the endless stream of tears that wont stop, my prayers and thoughts are with all those that are affected by 9/11.

i cannot imagine the pain the familys and friends of the innocent victims must be feeling :(

we will never forget :*(

that poem was very moving thank you for sharing it

HayleyRosie
09-11-2003, 10:21 AM
We lost our dear cousin Herb. He will forever be remembered and loved.

Herbert W. Homer, age 48 of Milford, MA, died tragically on September 11, 2001 as a passenger on United Airlines Flight 175 that crashed into the World Trade Center.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p34612c60378d8be1a78456e77f02fae3/fb1ec522.jpg

Logan
09-11-2003, 10:38 AM
I am so incredibly sorry for all of you who lost loved ones in this tragedy (((((((Sandra, Rosemary, others))))))) :(

Sudilar
09-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Words cannot express how I am feeling today. Tears are flowing freely today (and I am NOT an emotional person). Tears and prayers for all those who died that day, especially Sandra's Buff and HaleyRose's Herb. You will never be forgotten. Ever.

tatsxxx11
09-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Oh Rosemary...my heart breaks for you and your family:( What a beautiful soul your beloved Herb is. Look at that loving smile, just like our Buff. Your Herb and our Buff left this earth for heaven together, that fateful day. They just finished the roll call of those lost at Ground Zero. How incredibly brave were those dear, dear children who lost their family members, to stand before thousands and read the names of the ones who were lost; their very own mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents. The next time I visit Ground Zero, I will leave a rose and say a prayer for your cousin Herb, Rosemary. Love, Sandra

dukedogsmom
09-11-2003, 11:20 AM
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/towers1.jpg

zippy-kat
09-11-2003, 11:46 AM
I was sitting in front of my bathroom mirror drying my hair. I thought the radio station went out so I stopped the dryer to tune it back in. The song had paused due to the announcement of the first plane. Details were short and sketchy; the song started back up and I began to dry my hair once more. By the time I had finished, the second plane had crashed.

I debated on whether or not to go to class and decided to go, thinking that the university would cancel all classes. On the way to school, the radio announcer told of the PA plane.

My hearts, thoughts, prayers, and tears are with those who lost loved ones.

Aspen and Misty
09-11-2003, 11:57 AM
:( They had a wonderful anouncement today on the radio for everyone who lost a lvoed one. It was very touching.

I did not loose anyone but my heart goes out to all of those who did. We all felt your pain that day.
God The USA

Ash

slick
09-11-2003, 12:11 PM
I know that tragic day will be remembered by the whole world and your neighbours to the North are saying a prayer for all those families left behind and for the loved ones who parished. In through it all, I keep thinking.....it could have been us.

Hugs to all of you because you never know..........

popcornbird
09-11-2003, 01:44 PM
The day of tragedy,
The day of terror.
The day of pain,
The day of horror.

The day we wept,
The day we cried,
The day we witnessed
as so many innocents died.

So many mothers, fathers, and brothers,
Sons and daughters, husbands and wives,
Sisters, uncles, and so many others,
The terrible day in which so many lost their lives.

A day that left us full of fear,
A day that followed with wars,
All the innocent suffering souls we hear,
Whether they are lost at home or afar.

For the crimes of others innocents suffer,
Bearing the pain, only gets tougher.

May peace return to this world someday,
May all the criminals have to pay,
For the people lost because of crimes they committed,
One day their sins, to God will be submitted.

I remember the day clearly, as if it was only yesterday.

I don't like to remember it though. It brings back terrible memories of the day, the fear, the tears. My heart goes out to all of you who have lost loved ones in the tragedy, as well as to those who have lost innocent loved ones in the aftermath abroad.

HayleyRosie
09-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Oh Rosemary...my heart breaks for you and your family:( What a beautiful soul your beloved Herb is. Look at that loving smile, just like our Buff. Your Herb and our Buff left this earth for heaven together, that fateful day. They just finished the roll call of those lost at Ground Zero. How incredibly brave were those dear, dear children who lost their family members, to stand before thousands and read the names of the ones who were lost; their very own mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents. The next time I visit Ground Zero, I will leave a rose and say a prayer for your cousin Herb, Rosemary. Love, Sandra

Thank you so much Sandra. You will never know how much that will mean to my family. I have been fighting the tears all day. My thoughts are with you today as well. There are so many who are feeling the loss of a loved one like us today. My thoughts are with them as well.

Thank you again,

Rosemary

HoRsELUvR
09-11-2003, 02:45 PM
My condolences to anyone here who lost someone on 9/11.I remember so much about that day.I remember i was in 2nd period Spanish and that the teachers wouldnt tell us anyhting.I even remember the song i had stuck in my head.I am sorry about all of the terrible things that happened,but glad that our country came together.those terrorists are in for a rude awakening.I also cannot beleive the people who terrorized Muslim Americans for their race and religion.

iloverat
09-11-2003, 03:13 PM
To Sandra and Rosemary and all others who suffered such tragic loss ------ May you find some little comfort in knowing that many, many, many people are offering up prayers today (and other times as well), asking for God to be with you in his strength and lovingkindness. May the spirit of all the people who died live on in our hearts, never to be forgotten. Love to all -----

Rachel
09-11-2003, 03:23 PM
I know today brings back the pain for those of you whose loss was so personal. My heart aches for each and every person who lost a loved one so needlessly. In addition we all lost our sense of security.

I remember Pet Talk that day, how we cried, worried, and dispared together. I remembered the hoping and the wait for some to be found alive, and yet that was not to be. Others who were worried about were heard from and were okay. Later we heard a first hand account from one of our own about how she walked home that day like so many thousands of others.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Oh wow... this is a tough topic... I don't like talking about it much or seeing it... it brings me to tears everytime. I recently saw this song on CMT (Country Music Television) and the video made me break down in tears. You really have to see the video, to get the full effect. The video shows all these soldiers whom are also fathers, and they are holding pics of their little girls, and at the end they all coming running to their fathers... it's so emotional... I encourage you to see this video, it makes me cry every time. Here are the lyrics. From the lyrics it may not seem War Hero related, but it is.

Artist/Band: Allan Gary
Song: Tough Little Boys
Album: Other Songs

Well I never once
Backed down from a punch
Well I'd take it square on the chin
Well I found out fast
A bully's just that
You've got to stand up to him
So I didn't cry when I got a black eye
As bad as it hurt, I just grinned
But when tough little boys grow up to be dads
They turn into big babies again.

Scared me to death
When you took your first steps
And I'd fall everytime you fell down
Your first day of school, I cried like a fool
And I followed your school bus to town
Well I didn't cry, when Old Yeller died
At least not in front of my friends
They turn into big babies again

Well I'm a grown man
And as strong as I am
Sometimes its hard to believe
That one little girl, with little blonde curls
Could totally terrify me
If you were to ask
My wife would just laugh
She'd say "I know all about men
How when tough little boys grow up to be dads
They turn into big babies again"

Well I know one day, I'll give you away
And I'm gonna stand there and smile
And when I get home, and I'm all alone
Well, I'll sit in your room for a while
Well I didn't cry when Old Yeller died
At least not in front of my friends
They turn into big babies again
When tough little boys grow up to be dads
They turn into big babies again.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Here's a link to the video. You have to click watch, then follow the directions.

http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1000686

primabella
09-11-2003, 03:52 PM
I remember this day so perfectly. I was in math class when this guy who was "sick" walked in. He said he was at home, not feeling well, when on TV the channel just switched to Live Coverage of the attacks. I didn't even understand what was happening until I got home from school and then I bawled my eyes out. Such a tough day and so hard to understand.

My heart goes out to all those who have suffered. I am so very sorry Sandra and Rosemary. *hugs* :( You will be in my thoughts as well as all those who were affected by this terrible day. :(

Cataholic
09-11-2003, 04:36 PM
:( Such a sad, horrible day for us all.

RICHARD
09-11-2003, 05:12 PM
At one o'clock today i went out to grab a bite to eat.

As I walked across the roof of the parking structure I heard
the sound of aircraft flying over head, as I looked up i saw
5 small planes in a V formation.

The plane at the apex of the V towed a yellow banner with the words, "We Will Never Forget". The flanking four planes towed huge American flags.

In 1903 two brothers got us off the ground.

In 2001 19 terrorists brought two buildings to the ground.

From 2001 to 2003 we've flown our planes in anger.

Today, over the Los Angeles Basin, it was nice to see
aviation being used in a positive way once again.

Aspen and Misty
09-11-2003, 07:06 PM
i like this music video, I think it is wonderful.

http://search.launch.yahoo.com/search/lsearch/video?p=I%27m+already+there

Ash

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-11-2003, 07:22 PM
I remember that day SO clearly...

I was in 7th grade, at about 10 am. I went to the choir room with my friends for music class and the teachers had the TV on... I glanced at it while I was beginning to sit down... 2nd chair, back row... I noticed smoke... SO much smoke... and it had collapsed... It was so terrifying... My friend's were crying... the teacher's had to turn it off to calm everyone down... and get on with class. Everyone that day was talking about it... it was so terrifying.

KYS
09-11-2003, 08:05 PM
I know I will never forget.
Everytime I turned on the news today,
and saw the children holding up pictures of their loved ones and mentioning the names of their family member
that were killed.
I start choking up, and I have to change the channel.
I also will remember the many brave people who
risked their lives to help others.

Sandra, Rosemary and others my heart goes out to you.

Karen

Soledad
09-11-2003, 08:07 PM
PBS is playing an excellent documentary about the people who survived the WTC disaster on 9-11. It really brings it all back, and it is painful, but I think it's necessary to remind ourselves just how horrible this all was just for this one day.

Freckles
09-11-2003, 08:11 PM
There is a wonderful display of more than 3,500 special American Flags on display in Gresham, OR, a suburb of Portland. Each one represents a person who died on 9-11 or during the war in Iraq.
This link (http://www.theygaveall.com/) describes the services in Gresham, and at the bottom is a link to the special flag with the names of those who died on 9-11 printed on it.

I haven't figured out the order of the names. They seem to be alphabetical by incident; airplanes, towers, etc.

I've driven by the display but will get a closer look tommorrow.

PS: Herb's name is in the first red stripe, last row.
Buff's name is in last red stripe, 2nd row from bottom.

The Gresham man who spearheaded this display, saw a similar display a year ago in Sandy, Utah. My understanding is five other communities are having the display this year, but I don't know where.

tatsxxx11
09-11-2003, 08:27 PM
I'm in tears.....thank you Gresham, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!!!! My sister in law will be so moved and honored. Thank you!!! Please let the people know how much that means to those who lost someone. What kindness and compassion.

Sudilar
09-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us, Freckles. What a wonderful tribute. Also, thanks for telling us where we could find Buff and Herb. How very moving!

gini
09-11-2003, 08:54 PM
What a wonderful thing for you to share this with us. It will mean so much to so many people.

Thank you for giving us this link.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Sandra, Rosemars, all of my sorrow is with you. Words cannot express how I feel. My heart goes out to Sandra and Rosemary, and all the have suffered.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-11-2003, 09:32 PM
I remember that day...

I was getting ready to go to school, when my mom turned on the t.v. They showed the first plane crash. I was horrified...that day at school all they were talking about was what happened.

I'll never forget what happened that day. My heart goes out to everyone, and all that have suffered in such a terrible time.

HayleyRosie
09-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Freckles,

Thank you so much for the link and for telling us where to find Herb's name. Thank you.

Rosemary

ramanth
09-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Freckles, that is a wonderful link. Such a lovely tribute.

I remember where I was that day.... before leaving for work, I had taken pics of Kia sprawled out on the bed. She looked so silly.. I was nearly late for work.

I had barely sat down, when a co-worker told me about the first plane. I remembered my Grandma telling me about the small plane that had hit the towers back before I was born and thought maybe that was the case again....or that it had been an accident...

not having a TV around, I went to an online news site... and was horrified. Minutes after the second plane hit, we were sent home.

I sat in shock... wanting to watch, but not wanting too. I called my dad for comfort.

I didn't know this until late yesterday... my co-worker Marie (her office is next to mine), she was living in NYC on that day. 4 blocks from the WTC. She was evacuated from her apartment in her pajamas.

To this day she can't talk about what she saw. :(

Hugs to those that lost family and friends.

carole
09-12-2003, 03:41 PM
9/11 was indeed a world-wide tragedy, the impact here in New zealand was felt also, and we grieved for our fellow-americans, we still do!!

To all those people who lost a loved one, our heartfelt sympathy goe's out to you, we also will never forget this horrific day.

To all my american friends, on PT, Hugs to you all.

Kfamr
09-12-2003, 03:42 PM
I don't know if I was the only one, but i was scared watching it all on TV again.

Some kids in school were laughing, again, like they did when it first happened. :mad:

Freckles
09-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Please read my TRIBUTE TO HONOR post above
I visited the Flag display in Gresham today. It was wonderful. It was sobering to see ALL the flags. I couldn't get one picture to show the massive display of 3,500 flags but these might give you some idea.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pb57e700af6e0fadc896fc9be56c3d445/fb1bf4f0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/peec2fcec87376393603b58f2c421c678/fb1bf4f4.jpg
These first two are the Flag of Honor, listing those who died in the airplanes, Pentagon and the two towers.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pc9989292d35ff38360afe5f9e1f2efc1/fb1bf4f8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pe5647469d1d32b814aecb88ed633a304/fb1bf4fd.jpg
These are the Flag of Heroes, listing those who tried to save others; Firefighters, Police, Port staff.

Soledad
09-12-2003, 06:06 PM
It must have been breathtaking.

tatsxxx11
09-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Soledad said it perfectly....absolutely breathtaking. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures with us. And thank you, Gresham. You've done great honor to those who perished.

RICHARD
09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
WHOA!!

I thought they were small flags!!

thanks for the shot of the people next to the flags!

There is a national cemetary next to a freeway here in Westwood....on Memorial and Vet's day the Boy Scouts place an American flag next to each grace. It's quite a sight....I had no idea they were "regulation" sized flags........

I bet the sound of them flapping in the breeze was sombering....

thanks for the pics!