PDA

View Full Version : Dog Jog 2003! *need suggestions*

Kater
09-10-2003, 09:45 PM
I went to my first Pre-Veterinary Club meeting tonight! It was interesting, well run and informative. Too bad I kind of wrote them off last year based on their out of date website…oopsie.

I learned tonight that the University of Wisconsin's School of Veterinary Medicine is celebrating its 20th year! ALTHOUGH IT’S ONE OF THE YOUNGEST OF ONLY 28 VETERINARY SCHOOLS IN THE NATION, WISCONSIN’S SCHOOL OF VETERINARY MEDICINE HAS ALREADY GAINED A TOP REPUTATION. (from their website) It is a good school and I enjoy being an undergrad. at a school that has a veterinary school (it was something I looked for when I applied to schools) but it is not my first choice for veterinary school at this point.

But anyway, I'm getting off track. The yearly Dog Jog is coming up September 28th. All proceeds from Dog Jog directly benefit programs for sheltered and rescued animals. The event is essentially a 2-mile run-walk around the UW campus. Trophies are also handed out to the top 3 boys, girls, men, women and pairs with the best costumes. Registered participants get a Dog Jog 2003 bandana, gift certificates and prizes for humans and dogs alike. So yeah, it sounds like a great time, wish I had a dog. :(

Annnnyway, the Pre-Veterinary Club members are volunteering but also wanting to put on a fundraising activity. The idea they have right now is to have a photo area where guardians (an alternative word choice to ‘owners’) and their beloved dogs can get their picture taken. However, they haven’t yet worked out the logistics of it.
For example,
- What kind of camera to use?
- Whether they should follow people around to take pictures or have it centered at a booth?
- How they can return the pictures to people?
- What they can do to make it more than “just” a picture? Cute label?

So I’ve been pondering how to best make this work as well as make it appealing to Dog Joggers. I guess I wanted to throw this out there to see if I could get any suggestions from you smart PTers. :D

If we used a digital camera we could do some fancy Photoshop stuff with it (cute labels, write the doggies names, etc) and give them a printout (of basic quality) as well as e-mail them the digital picture. We could have a sign up sheet for name, mailing address & e-mail. I guess that could be kind of cool. How does that sound to you guys? Workable?

Please leave any suggestions or comments you have!

Kfamr
09-10-2003, 09:56 PM
You could use a digital and do as you said, or find a local photographer that would be willing to do it for free (or for cheap). They did this at the Humane Society with Santa. I forget how much it was but all of the profits went back to the humane society to care for the animals. Maybe you all could donate the money to someone/somewhere.

- Whether they should follow people around to take pictures or have it centered at a booth?

I think a booth would be best -- This was you can set up a backgrouns and all

- How they can return the pictures to people?
You could have them fill out a form (Name, Pet Name, Email addy, and so on..) Either mail it to them or have them come pick the photo(s) up.

- What they can do to make it more than “just” a picture? Cute label?

You know those hard cardboard stand up frames that come with team photos, prom photos and so on? Maybe you could get something like that personalized to say something animal related.

Just some ideas..... i'll let you know if I come uo with anything else. :)

Kater
09-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Oooooh, great suggestions Kay. :D Thanks!
I'm going to look into some of those...especially the cardboard frame thing.

Nomilynn
09-10-2003, 10:05 PM
You could have several props, like different hats, or maybe a surfboard and a pair of sunglasses, etc etc so people could have a "themed" picture :) As for the other things.. I would suggest getting in touch with WalMart. They can print digital photos, and they get involved in a LOT of charitable events so maybe you could get a deal and also have some big name sponsorship :)

Good luck!

Kater
09-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You could use a digital and do as you said, or find a local photographer that would be willing to do it for free (or for cheap). They did this at the Humane Society with Santa. I forget how much it was but all of the profits went back to the humane society to care for the animals. Maybe you all could donate the money to someone/somewhere.

Yeah, I would want to donate the money to a good cause but I think the club wants to make some money for itself...which could inevitably go to a good cause if we use some to say buy carrots and apples when we go to volunteer at a santuary or rescue. The event itself makes about $30,000 which all goes to animal orgs as I said so there is some good being done, FOR SURE!

Kater
09-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Ooooooh, thanks Nom! Props would be cute! :) WalMart---never wouldda thunk......