PDA

View Full Version : My Grandma just got a dog! :)

wolf_Q
09-10-2003, 04:51 PM
So my dad calls me up today saying that my aunt wants to get my Grandma a dog. I've thought the same thing, she's been so lonely since my Grandpa died.

I told him that I thought a small, low maintenence dog would be best...and also one that's older dog, already potty-trained. I said I'd call around and see what I could find. I called 3 shelters, but ehem, my aunt called and she had already decided what dog she was getting. :rolleyes:

She bought this long haired chihuahua (from a pet store :( ). He's 12 weeks old. She stopped by Petco and bought a bunch of toys, treats, food, etc.

He's VERY cute! :D Black and white. His body is pretty much white and he has a black head, with a tad bit of white on his nose. He totally reminds me of Tama!

I don't have any pics as I wasn't expecting a dog to be bought today...but hopefully I'll get some soon! I just hope my Grandma will be happy, as she didn't know she was getting a dog! :o

slleipnir
09-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Aww, sounds cute! Can't wait for pics :D

lovemyshiba
09-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a cutie!!!

My husband's grandmother also has a long-haired chi who is spoiled rotten--they are best friends!!

I hope your grandmother loves her gift!!!

tatsxxx11
09-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Congratulations, Grandma!! I know the little pup is going to make her so happy!:) And what a lucky doggie to have her, too! I love Chi's!!! Can't wait to see the pics! Welcome Home, wee one!:D

KYS
09-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Congratulations to your Grandma,

I am sure this little dog will add many years of pleasure
to her life. : )

wolf_Q
09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Well we were worried if she'd be happy or upset with the pup, and apparently she was thrilled! She seems to really love the little guy. He looks a lot like a chi mix she had many years ago named Pepper.

I think we'll be going over pretty soon to get pics! :D

I just hope he'll be easy for her to potty train..small dogs tend to be hard in the first place, and dogs from pet stores are even worse. :(

shais_mom
09-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Can't wait to see pics!!!
He sounds adorable!

ramanth
09-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Amy, your story sounds so similar to mine.....

When Grandpa died, my parents decided they would take my Grandma to the shelter to let her pick out an adult dog so she wouldn't have to worry about potty and obedience training.

Well, my aunt had other ideas and took Grandma to a pet store and convinced her to pick out this Lhasa Ahpso puppy. Grandma didn't really want her, but my aunt insisted. My parents and I were furious.

This dog is a terror. She poops and pees in the house and jumps all over people. She's huge too. Mom reckons that she's not pure Lhasa Ahpso as her papers say.

*sighs*

But Grandma tries and does love her dog.

My parents though say that when Grandma passes away, they are shipping the dog to my aunt.

dukedogsmom
09-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Nothing like a dog's love to help fill up some empty spots in your heart. I hope they'll both be very happy!

CountryWolf07
09-11-2003, 12:39 PM
Awwww Amy! That is pretty cool! :) What's the puppy's name?

stacwase
09-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Are you upset with your aunt for buying the dog from the pet store insead of getting her an older one which was already house trained from the shelter? Honestly - that's such a waste.

Tonya
09-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Congratulations on the puppy! Don't feel bad about it coming from a pet store; I consider that a rescue in itself.

stacwase
09-11-2003, 05:38 PM
It is a rescue - because they're rescuing a poor puppy from a possibly bad situation. But then the pet stores buy more and the puppy mills breed more - I meant it was such a waste because the puppy mills are breeding and mistreating dogs while dogs are being put to sleep in shelters. You know?

Crikit
09-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Congrats to Grandma...now hurry up and go get some pics. I wanna see some of this little Tama look alike.

wolf_Q
09-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Are you upset with your aunt for buying the dog from the pet store insead of getting her an older one which was already house trained from the shelter? Honestly - that's such a waste.

It is a rescue - because they're rescuing a poor puppy from a possibly bad situation. But then the pet stores buy more and the puppy mills breed more - I meant it was such a waste because the puppy mills are breeding and mistreating dogs while dogs are being put to sleep in shelters. You know?

Yes, I'm fully aware of all of those things, and I did try to talk her out of it. But what's done is done, and there's nothing I can do about it. It's not my fault. My Grandma is happy, and that's all that matters. Apparently the puppy was born on the day of their Anniversary. :)

I don't think the pup came from a puppy mill though. From what I've been told the puppy came from a local breeder...she just had 6 puppies. I guess they went on a trip before they had sold the last, so they had him at the pet store. I never saw the pet store or anything, so I don't know much about it.

stacwase
09-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Oh - of course there's nothing you could do about it, Wolf-Q, and I hope you don't think I was implying anything. You're one of the best animal advocates I have ever "met" and I respect you! That's why I was thinking you would have been upset with your aunt - because I can tell you have a heart of gold.

dukedogsmom
09-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Apparently the puppy was born on the day of their Anniversary. :)

That's so sweet. That must mean a lot to her.