PDA

View Full Version : Cans Can Be Dangerous!!!

Daisy's Mom
12-10-2000, 01:53 PM
Hey everyone, we had a little catastrophe this morning and I just wanted to share it with you all to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else!!! Well, Daisy was outside and she jumped up on the window like she always does when she wants to come in, so I went to let her in and she walked through the door with a can in her mouth! I started laughing and said "Daze, where'd you get that can, silly pup!!!" I bent down to pull on it, but it was stuck on her bottom jaw!!!! So of course I started freaking out even though she didn't seem to care a bit, wagging her tail like normal. My mom brought me a can opener to open the bottom so we could find out what she was stuck on. I opened a little and blood dripped out!!! I started crying and insisting we take her to the vet but my mom called my uncle who lives next store to bring over some wire cutters to cut it off. He came over but he said he thought he could get it off without it, and he crunched the can into an oval shape and twisted and it came off!!! Her mouth had been caught on the top of the can which had not been fully removed. She only had a little cut on her tongue and chin. She's okay now and enjoying the pampering she's getting. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you this so you know to always remove the tops of your cans (we always do anyway, we have no idea where she got this one!!!) and even just in case, keep the cans away from your pets!!!

AdoreMyDogs
12-10-2000, 07:35 PM
Daisy's mom,

You must have been so scared http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif your poor baby http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif that breaks my heart http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif I would have absolutely flipped out had that same thing happen to either of my babies. It sounds like you really kept your cool under such stresses.

My mom's cat nearly had his tongue sliced off when the piggy cat thought he would like to lick a can of tuna that had the lid not taken off all the way. I was over at my moms house when I heard a blood-curdeling scream and then saw the can (which the cat took out of the recycle bin) and droplets of blood trailing down to the basement. His tongue was still connected but it was sliced pretty deep.

I had forgotten about that until you mentioned your baby. I am so glad she's ok, and I hope she never finds any cans again!

Thanks for posting, that is good to keep in mind.

KYS
12-10-2000, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the post.
Glad your pup is alright.
When I open my cans, I never remove the whole lid top, so it drains easier.
Than I toss them in the trash.
After your post I will not take any chances and remove the whole lid next time.

ktreva52
12-11-2000, 12:30 AM
Poor Daisy. What an awful thing to have happen! Someone in the neighborhood has been very careless. I'm glad she's okay, but it was a good reminder for the rest of us. Give her lots of pats from her D.O.T.D. friends.

Daisy's Mom
12-11-2000, 10:31 AM
Hey thanks for caring, everyone! I am glad Daisy is okay and that this will be a learning experience for you guys! By cutting the tops of cans off, you are saving your dog's tongue, and actually some money too... We felt Daisy had had too bad of a day, so to cheer her up, we took her on a trip to Petco and spent 50$ on anything she sniffed!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Spoiled? Daisy? Nooo.... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

ownerof3dogs
12-11-2000, 03:35 PM
this reminds me of when My dog Felice got a marrow bone stuck on her bottom jaw. some how she got it behind her bottom fangs. We couldn't get it off. when she started to freak out she bit down and cracked it ( mind you it is a part of a cow leg!)all the way through on one side but we couldn't bend it we were scared we were going to break her teeth. story made short we went to the vets and as we were going in the door another dog was comeing out. my dog felt volnerable and grabed the bone with both her feet and pulled it off. Thank god.

karen israel
12-11-2000, 03:44 PM
Sorry I'm late today..very..but THRILLED that Daisy is Ok. Luckily I never had that experience but when I walk Cody at night, I wear a orange vest and a flashlight not only for traffic but TRASH!! He is so quick, he picks up such crap and refused to release (head up, tail wag, he KNOWS he's evil and wicked when he does that). We have recycling, the works, but people must toss stuff out car windows or their trash bags break. I hear him crunching bones, tearing aluminium foil and like you, I freak! It's so dangerous! Anyway..thanks for the warning! I will be on double alert from now on....

tatsxxx11
12-11-2000, 04:05 PM
Oh "Mom," Poor Daisy and poor you!!! They're really like perpetual toddlers. You have to watch them almost every moment. They get into EVERYTHING soooo fast. As a puppy, Star learned the catfood was in the pantry and would get up on the shelf and run off with a fancy feast can. She wouldn't let go and would bite right through to get at the food!!! Of course it is now kept out of her reach, but she will still try to grab the empty cans out of the trash. I'll take your advice about the can tops! We really have to "childproof" our homes, just as for little kids. I'm so glad Daisy is OK. Pheew! You're such a good Mom. Hope you can relax tonight! Hugs to Daisy.

lhg0962
12-11-2000, 04:47 PM
I am so glad Daisy is ok. I am completely guilty of "almost" opening a can all the way. Why is it that we do that? I know that was scary. For that reason, I refuse to recycle cans in my house. I always throw them away in the big trash can, all covered nicely so no one can get to them!
Give Daisy a big hug for me.
Logan

Rottie
12-11-2000, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the warning! I'm glad Daisy is okay. I would have totally freaked out!