PDA

View Full Version : If I were a vet...

wolflady
09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
...clients would either love me or hate me. I can honestly say, that working for a veterinary hospital has indeed been an interesting experience so far. I don't know how many times I have had to hold my tongue, because I do tend to have strong feelings towards certain issues. I think I would be the type of vet that would try to educate more than I think most vets do. Don't get me wrong. I admire vets, and I really love my vet, but there are so many different situations that arise that I personally would handle differently. Were I live is what you would call a pretty rural setting. Billy Joe Bob and Mamma Jo can get "purebred" dogs and breed them, which, they do all to often. I would think that if I were seeing people like this, I would try to educate more about spay and neuter. If people need to have "purebred" dogs, then there are rescue organizations for every breed you can think of. Plus, being purebred doesn't necessarily mean that it's a prime example of its breed. There is a beautiful GSD that came in last Friday with a severe pyometra (which can be deadly: it is an infected uterus filled with pus), but instead of going along with the best treatment (spaying), the people have enough nerve to say, well, try and treat it because we want to breed her. No offense people, but that is just selfish. The poor dog is underweight, sick and suffering. I really don't think it's the best idea to breed a dog that has had an infected uterus like that.

The other issue is the whole declaw issue. I'm not trying to start a debate here, or anger anyone, I just wanted to share my views. If I were a vet, I would probably try to do more about educating and giving alternatives rather than just doing it without discussion. There are other situations that I have experienced there, but I won't go into that now. I just thought it was really interesting the insight I have had since I have started working there. Plus, I have never seen more purebred dogs in my life! :eek: LOL :) I think I must be the only client with a mutt! LOL :rolleyes: ;)

Kater
09-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
If I were a vet...clients would either love me or hate me.

Yup! That's gonna be me!

I really enjoyed reading your post. I appreciate these insights....now when am I gonna get to work in a veterinary hospital?????? hehe.

wolflady
09-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Kater, working for a vet has been a very interesting and insightful experience. You never know what you're going to see and learn. A lot of people who are interested in pursuing a career as a vet or RVT can get a good idea of what it's like by working in a hospital like this. That is how my vet got intersted in it. He worked in pet stores and vet clinics and decided to go to school for it when he was older. Maybe you will too! ;)

PJ's Mom
09-10-2003, 04:03 PM
I always appreciated Peej's vet and his ability to inform me of all my options. I came close more than once, to making a bad decision, (like declawing) until he took the time to talk to me. ;)

I think if you can educate your patients' owners without being preachy, then you'll be a great vet. :)

wolflady
09-10-2003, 05:58 PM
PJ's Mom, that is what I'm talking about. I really wish more vets would be more detailed like that. In most cases, at least in every single vet that I've ever gone to over the years(That has been 5 different vets in 3 states, so I know that's not a large amount), they don't talk about the alternatives of declawing. If the customer asks for it, that's what they get, no question. I don't feel that it's my place as a vet tech to disagree with the vet in front of the customer about that issue.
Instead of telling the selfish owner that it's best to save the dog's life by spaying her, the pyometra gets treated to try and open it up for breeding. I feel so bad for that poor dog. She is so thin, sick and sad, but has to suffer because the owner wants to breed her. Personally, that definitely doesn't make for a responsible breeder. A breeder should be concerned about their animals first, which is why they want to breed them, but sadly in this case it isn't. They paid a lot of money for the dog just for breeding. :( I would have told that owner, in order to save the dog's life, it needs to be spayed... :rolleyes: